DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
9,461 Posts
Windows 10 Home: The consumer-focused desktop edition.
Windows 10 Mobile: The re-branded Windows Phone for smartphones and tablets.
Windows 10 Pro: A desktop edition for PCs, tablets and 2-in-1s aimed at small businesses.
Windows 10 Enterprise: Builds on Windows 10 Pro with added advanced features designed to meet the demands of medium and large sized organisations.
Windows 10 Education: Designed to meet the needs of schools with academic Volume Licensing.
Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise: Designed to deliver the best customer experience to business customers on smartphones and small tablets.
Windows 10 IoT Core: Windows 10 for other devices and machines such as ATMs and handheld terminals.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
I wonder if this rollout will be better run then the ACA rollout? Got to be about the same number of people.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
dpeters11 said:
XP just needs to go away. There is a hack to get updates until 2019, but it's not something I'd do.

Flash and Java (in the browser) also need to go away.

Vista support ends April 2017, Win 7 Jan 2019, Windows 8.1 Jan 2023.
OS is something I prefer not to get to far behind in. I never want to be my aunt who was statisfied with her 19" B&W TV.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
Cholly said:
Still waiting somewhat impatiently for upgrades to my two eligible computers. I had preordered back on June 4. So much for early orders!
You're not alone.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
Yesterday morning I decided to install some non-essential updates and on the completion of the first one, Win10 appeared in the Control Panel Windows Updates as ready to DL.

So after last night Mets game, I decided to DL Win10. Well the DL took one last look at my computer and asked to install or to scheduled the install. I was going to schedule it, but thought what the hell and went for it.

The process took a little over an hour on my slow Verizon DSL service. The copying portion took most of the time, follow by the install and then the setup.

And then I was slightly confused looking for the shut down button, which I found has been replaced by the now standard power icon symbol.

Now after running Win10 all day, I must say it has made my fairly old, by computer standards, HP Win7 All-In-One run a lot faster. So I'm a happy camper.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
For those running Fences to organized your DeskTop Icons, you need to upgrade it to v2.13 for it to work correctly in Win10.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
The FF updated W10 version installed itself while I was watching the Mets. It stated something about being faster under W10.

I wonder how many upgrades I'll be getting in the next couple of months.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
dmspen said:
Yes, all the obvious items have been tried. Some have had this issue with Stardock's Fences program. My next step is to uninstall Fences.
You'll need Fences v2.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
I having issues with Paint Shop Pro X6 (v16.2.0.20). It sometimes shutdown on startup. Win10 spotted this and did some adjustment and made it worst as PSPX6 still shutdown sometimes, but now it also is in slow saving files.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
phrelin said:
I've upgraded to PSPX8 even though X7 seemed ok. I think that is going to be the price of the "free" Win upgrade - complex software will ultimately need to be upgraded.
Yeah, I upgrade every other version, but I'll wait for the sale upgrade price. Which should be $39.XX.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
MysteryMan said:
This morning I upgraded Windows 10 to the new version (Version: 1511, Build: 10586). For those who have yet to do this be prepared for a lengthy download and installation as well as a lengthy initial start up after installation is complete. A few new features have been added.
It is similar to the Win10 install.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
AntAltMike said:
What can Windows 10 do for me that Windows 7, or even Windows 3.1, under discussion in another thread, cannot? Probably nothing that I'd want to do even if I knew how.
Yep, many of us get stuck in time.

Oh, what are you missing - the Internet of Things.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
But a fridge & a pantry IoT would be great. You're in a store and see a great sale, but for life of you, you don't how much of it you already have home. You whip out your personal IoT device and you'll know in a minute.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
Got my first Win10 upgrade after the big upgrade last night. Java & Ad-ware asked to be upgraded right after the Win 10 did it thing.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
Lord Vader said:
Therein lies the problem. My Dell printer, which has been a workhorse and a very reliable machine, has no drivers for Windows 10. Until that machine can fully work in 10, I will not upgrade.
If the Dell printer is no longer supported by Dell, don't expect MS to come up with a driver.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
trh said:
I was listening to Leo Laporte this weekend and he mentioned (actually it turned into a rant), that Microsoft is going to 'force' Windows 10 installation onto computers when they get their automatic Windows updates (I think he said they were moving Windows 10 from an Optional Update to a Recommended Update). Although he likes Windows 10, he mentioned that there are a number of people who consciously haven't upgraded because of software or hardware they have/use that are not Windows 10 compatible.
Doesn't help either when the SW/HW is also no longer supported by its manufacturer.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
Rich said:
I recently read an article that stated that Windows 10 will be the last named version of Windows. Nothing but updates, no new OS ever again. Don't remember where I read it. Can this be true?

Rich
Read the same.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts