DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
MysteryMan said:
I received a notification from Microsoft that the free upgrade to Windows 10 will be coming soon. This will be a 3GB full version, not a trial. For those who applied for the free upgrade it will automatically downloaded to your PC and can be installed at the user's convenience.
There is a notice on my laptop now that this is ready to install sign up to reserve my copy. I did not go looking for it.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
dpeters11 said:
Too many acronyms sometimes, and very close to each other in name, but not function :)
For sure. I used to always get mixed up on Composite and Component cables.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
AntAltMike said:
Every time I power up the laptop I bought off Craigslist for $85 and acquired in a parking lot rendezvous, Microsoft asks me to pay them $119 to make the Windows 7 upgrade software legal.
That might be a virus / Trojan , etc. If I remember correctly Microsoft never asks you for money. They just tell you that your software is illegal and then does not run.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
AntAltMike said:
Every time I power up the laptop I bought off Craigslist for $85 and acquired in a parking lot rendezvous, Microsoft asks me to pay them $119 to make the Windows 7 upgrade software legal.
Take a look at this site.
http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/microsoft-says-my-windows-7-is-pirated-now-what-am-i-suppose-to-do-now-588049/
It is a forum and there are many ideas there to fix it. Having said that, none of them mentioned money.

Link to Microsoft with discussions about legal Windows 7.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/windows-7-build-7601-this-copy-of-windows-is-not/0ab53d5f-4931-4b84-bdf4-05616edcb7ee?auth=1

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
AntAltMike said:
Actually, it didn't start displaying that message until I swapped some hard drives between computers, but it isn't inhibiting me from doing anything.

One thing that pisses me off is that several years ago, when I bought a laptop from Best Buy, I paid an extra $300 to upgrade to whatever Microsoft calls its premium business package, and when that computer bit the dust two months later and I got rid of it, Microsoft won't let me use that same upgrade disk for my current computer because the $300 was a discounted price that attached to use with that computer only.

Maybe there is a way to work around that restriction but I don't have the time to screw with it, since it just isn't that important to me.
Swapping the drives would do it. For some reason the software makes a list of the devices on / in the machine and it is part of the authentication.
I think if you call Microsoft and tell them you uninstalled the original software and put it on this drive they can fix it.
If it is several years old you probably would be better off getting a new machine.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
harsh said:
That's what happens when someone installs the software without an activation code. It is not a sign of certain doom as Jimmy57 asserts.

It will get worse as time goes on and you will not be eligible for the free Windows 10 deal unless you buy a version of Windows that qualifies.
How did you get doom out of my posts ?

Who in their right mind would buy an authentic version of Windows 7 for a laptop they paid $85 for just to get the free upgrade to windows 10 ?

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
I cranked up my old Dell running Windows XP this morning. I do this every now and then just to see that it still works. It did after reseating the video card.
After the 3 updates that it had to load and install I did not get the Windows 10 free upgrade sign.
Of course this is what I expected.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
harsh said:
Sounds fraught with danger to me.
Someone who was planning on using said computer long term.
Just some Virus / Trojan Killer time to get it fixed.
I had a friend that had a hijacked computer wanting $200 or they were going to come get him and put him in jail. I had to start up in safe mode and run the software to find and remove it. It had embedded itself in the Registry. Removed it and the computer was good as new again.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
Rich said:
Yeah, they stopped supporting XP a while ago. I tried to fix a friend's computer and it was running XP. I got a message saying that XP was no longer supported.

Rich
It also tried to update Java but the program told me that it does not support XP. I had to cancel the install of the new update.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
Steve said:
I'm not sure Java doesn't pose a similar security risk.

Speaking of security, more calls to abolish Flash: http://www.wired.com/2015/07/adobe-flash-player-die/
I do have troubles with Flash very often. Some sites want Active-X filtering On, some want it off. I have uninstalled it, started over, changed the Global settings, etc.

Then there are several other forms of video players that all seem to fight over who is going to play it and you wind up with nothing.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
SeaBeagle said:
What does KB3035583 do?

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.
This is what Windows says about this update.

Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1

This update installs the Get Windows 10 app, which helps users understand their Windows 10 upgrade options and device readiness. For more information about Windows 10, see Windows 10.

This update applies to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Internet Explorer 11 (IE11). Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section.

Link to it:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Per Microsoft - "There's no obligation and you can cancel your reservation at any time. After you reserve, we will "download" Windows 10 to your device when it's available. Then we will notify you when your device is ready to "install" the upgrade". That said, one can choose whether to "install" Windows 10 or not.
I am going to load it on my Laptop and my Desktop as soon as it comes out. Later on it will also be available for my Windows phone. Then my 3 devices will all be on the same software.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Read posts #105 and #111 before you install.
Did that earlier but did them again just now.
I don't think I will have a problem. Most if not all of my programs have been sending updates that say this update is to run with Windows 10.
My MAIN program is Open Office and it says it is ready. Other than that it is the internet for me.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
SayWhat? said:
Yeah. Sure. And I got a bridge over the Everglades for you .. cheap.

I don't want them downloading anything first, then telling me about it.

For the time being. But will it install itself later sometime when they decide they no longer want to give you the choice?

I have NO intention of going to 10 for at least a year, maybe two.
I feel certain that you will have to click on OK or similar to do the Install, if not the Download also.
It gives you the option to cancel your reserved copy already.

Reactions: Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
dpeters11 said:
The end of sales date for consumer PC's was last year. Professional is still available but I think that is mainly on the business lines. Particularly if you're a few years out to get a new PC, no one is going to be selling systems with 7.
Office Depot has lots of models of PCs with Windows 7 on them and some that have Windows 8.1 that can revert to 7.
http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/desktop-computers/N=5+592157&cbxRefine=685618/

http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/laptops/N=5+592158&cbxRefine=685618/

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
harsh said:
These promises coming from a company that considers patches that nag about upgrading or otherwise harm the user experience to be classed as important updates.

I stopped believing what Microsoft says about updates when they started pointing to non-existent web pages in lieu of making it clear what their Patch Tuesday patches did. It used to be that if you clicked on a patch in Windows Update, there was a description of what it was intended to accomplish expressed in a single paragraph. Now you get boilerplate and a 404 error.

But wait! If you subscribe to MSDN for an additional annual fee, they'll let you in on what's going on.
It must be hard to live as you and not like anything or anybody.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
For any that are afraid to upgrade, this might be of interest to you.
This is from the Microsoft Forum and it is about setting up a Dual Boot system so you can Keep your old, what you have now and have the new Windows 10 on your machine at the same time.

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 Technical Preview is much appreciated.

You can dual boot Windows 10 with the previous versions of Windows. Refer to the below Wiki article by one of our MVP Andre Da Costa on How to dual boot the latest Windows build with previous versions of Windows and check if that helps:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-dual-boot-the-latest-windows-build-with/9695dfc7-1c13-4d8d-b10b-587e78c6ac36

Windows 10 is designed to be compatible with the vast majority of Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, so your device is most likely compatible.

For details on your specific device and apps, you can use the Get Windows 10 app to do a compatibility check. Click the menu in the upper left of the app, and select "Check your PC" or "Your PC is good to go." This displays any compatibility issues we find and recommends a resolution; while we don't have info on every app or device in existence, it provides a comprehensive list of all known potential compatibility issues.

Some Windows 10 features will require advanced hardware and not all features and services are available on every device, nor in every market. For instance, Cortana is not available in all markets.

Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Edit / Add / Important to posted above !

I want to dual boot instead of replace my current version of Windows.
If you need to install Windows 10 on a separate hard disk or partition, you will need to purchase a full license.

Retail pricing information:

Edition Pricing
Windows 10 Home US $119
Windows 10 Pro US $199
Windows 10 Pro Pack US $99

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
SayWhat? said:
What about Media Center or an equivalent?
Is Media Center supported in Windows 10?
No. Persons who need to use Media Center should consider carefully before upgrading from their previous version of Windows. The Windows 10 upgrade will automatically remove any installations of Media Center.

So what are the alternatives if I need Media Center?
Your best option is to continue running your existing version of Windows with Media Center.
  • Windows 7 editions that include Media Center will continue to be supported until January 2020.
  • Windows 8 Pro with Media Center will continue to be supported until January 2023.
Will Windows Media Center be available in Windows 10?

Windows Media Center is not part of Windows 10 and won't be available after upgrading to Windows 10. If you use Windows Media Center, we will alert you during upgrade that Windows Media Center is not available on Windows 10. We know that some users use Windows Media Center to play DVDs, and we are providing a free DVD playback app in Windows 10 for Windows Media Center users.

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Are there any alternatives to Windows Media Center?
If you need the PVR (personal video recorder) features in Windows Media Center, then Media Portal is one alternative. If you just want a simple video player, I like MPC-HC (Media Player Classic - Home Cinema), but VLC will do the job. All three are open source and free.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
phrelin said:
On my old desktop which I don't use on a regular basis I did a dual boot install of Windows 8.1 with Windows 7. Right now I have the automatic Windows 10 upgrade set for the Window 8.1 partition. Presumably because I'm not creating a new partition for installation the upgrade will work. But who knows? And I don't really care. But I will try it as soon as they let me.
I will be interested to know if that works.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts