DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
3,729 Posts
Yup I successfully rolled back my laptop to 8.1. With 10, there was nothing to click on in the login screen except wifi, accessibility or shut down... If my wifi was on. If I booted up with the wifi switch "off" I could then see the username and password fields. I even updated to the latest Intel centrino driver since it seemed related to wifi. What good was the system if you can't log in, so rolling it back was pretty much flawless.

My desktop on the other hand took the upgrade from 8.1 no issue at all. In fact, it seems to run faster than ever which is great considering it's an older machine.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,729 Posts
jimmie57 said:
When my laptop cranks up there is no login screen, just a picture and the WiFi sign and something else in the lower right hand side of the screen.
If I click the mouse anywhere on the picture or the WiFi symbol the Login screen pops up for me to sign in.
As long as I booted up with wifi on, clicking anywhere did absolutely nothing. The only thing I could click on was the wifi icon to turn on airplane mode or associate to other networks. I also had accessibility and the shut down / restart button.

If I flipped the wifi switch off, rebooted... then I would have my name in the lower left corner I could click on and type in my login information in the center.

I'd like to try it again but after installing and then rolling back, I have all these extra folders on the C: drive ($.SysReset, $Windows.~BT, and $Windows.WS). Not sure if constant upgrading and rolling back is good for the machine. I was going to wait for the first service pack, if they still opt to do that model of Windows servicing. Or just get a new laptop next year.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,729 Posts
How do you get the new build to show up in windows updates? Did it on my home machine, 8.1 work laptop but my work desktop will not show it. I even check the box to check for updates from Microsoft.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,729 Posts
My work pc would never see the update. I just ran the latest universal mediacreationtool.exe to upgrade my 10240 to 10586. Upgraded without a hitch. There for some time Microsoft pulled the tool, but since then restored it. I already had it backed up from running it on my windows 8.1 laptop for the upgrade anyway. If your media creation tool specifies a 32-bit or 64-bit version then your likely pulling the original Win 10.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts