DBSTalk Forum banner
301 - 320 of 1144 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
Steve said:
So far, I'm completely underwhelmed by 10. App performance seems to be identical, and since I don't use a touch screen or choose to use any Microsoft services (mail, browser, calendar, contacts, etc), I'm not sure what the advantage is using this over 7. I see I have 30 days to revert back. I may just do that because I find all the Microsoft service hooks embedded in the UI annoying, to be honest.
I'm keeping it simply for the under the hood security improvements and such, plus there are a lot of little things I like, such as the new snapping functions. Also of course the OS isn't "done" more things are coming. At some point they'll need to start rolling out Redstone to Insiders, but we should see things before that.

· Legend
265 Posts
Rich said:
Thanx Jimmie, that helps.

Rich
I am trying out Windows 10 which just got finished installing. Sorry about the quote above, I just read above that quotes may not be working correctly. I normally use IE11 but am currently using Edge. A couple things that are missing from Edge that IE11 has is
  1. the ability to drag a tab and drop it on another screen thus creating another window. You can right click a tab and say open in another window, but the drag was so convenient.
  2. Favorites bar does not seem to be able to be sized. In IE11, I only showed ICONs so that everything fit Now I have the entire web name and thus everything does not exist.
Another problem I had with the upgrade in general dealt with ITUNES. My ITUNE media library was located on an external drive labeled S:\. The W10 upgrade relabeled all my drives to different letters which set S: to I: . ITunes had to be reset (or I could of set the drive label back but that ended up causing even more troubles since W10 upgrade did fix some programs, just not ITUNES) to the new location.

Will report more as I find them.

Oh, I also had "Norton Security with Backup" installed before the upgrade. Upgrade flawlessly transitioned Norton Security as well.

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
Holydoc said:
I am trying out Windows 10 which just got finished installing. Sorry about the quote above, I just read above that quotes may not be working correctly. I normally use IE11 but am currently using Edge. A couple things that are missing from Edge that IE11 has is
  1. the ability to drag a tab and drop it on another screen thus creating another window. You can right click a tab and say open in another window, but the drag was so convenient.
  2. Favorites bar does not seem to be able to be sized. In IE11, I only showed ICONs so that everything fit Now I have the entire web name and thus everything does not exist.
Another problem I had with the upgrade in general dealt with ITUNES. My ITUNE media library was located on an external drive labeled S:\. The W10 upgrade relabeled all my drives to different letters which set S: to I: . ITunes had to be reset (or I could of set the drive label back but that ended up causing even more troubles since W10 upgrade did fix some programs, just not ITUNES) to the new location.

Will report more as I find them.

Oh, I also had "Norton Security with Backup" installed before the upgrade. Upgrade flawlessly transitioned Norton Security as well.
I you click on 4th from the right Icon up towards top, the Favorites show up there ( all of them that I imported from IE11 )
They call it the HUB

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
jimmie57 said:
You can still run IE11. I am using it now.
Yes but FamilyTreeMaker incorporates elements of IE into their automatic interface with Ancestry.com and it doesn't seem to be working quite right - it works, just with some minor formatting glitches.

· Legend
265 Posts
jimmie57 said:
I you click on 4th from the right Icon up towards top, the Favorites show up there ( all of them that I imported from IE11 )
They call it the HUB
Jimmie,

I must of said that wrong. I did import all my favorites from IE11 and do know how to view them in Edge. What I meant is that I turned on the "Favorites Bar" (Settings...click on Show the favorites bar) in Edge, but I cannot size the favorites like I can in IE11.

For instance in IE11, you can right click a favorite on the Favorites Bar and select "Customize Title Widths...". This option allows you to show Long Titles, Short Titles, or just the ICONS. You cannot do this in Edge (that I have found).

· Registered
21,543 Posts
dpeters11 said:
I'm keeping it simply for the under the hood security improvements and such
Fingers-crossed they'll migrate those security improvements back into Win 7 updates.

Good news is reverting to 7 works like a charm. If/when I want to run Windows on a touch-screen device, I'll re-think moving to 10. Without any detectable performance improvements over 7, tho, I'd rather stick with the "simpler" 7 UI. Glad I tried it out, tho, so I could experience it first-hand.

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
No, they won't.

7 will still get security updates (through 2019), but they won't be making any foundational changes.

The other benefit of trying it is that you now have a license key, so you've got a licensed copy even if you go back to 10 later after the free period.

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
Holydoc said:
Jimmie,

I must of said that wrong. I did import all my favorites from IE11 and do know how to view them in Edge. What I meant is that I turned on the "Favorites Bar" (Settings...click on Show the favorites bar) in Edge, but I cannot size the favorites like I can in IE11.

For instance in IE11, you can right click a favorite on the Favorites Bar and select "Customize Title Widths...". This option allows you to show Long Titles, Short Titles, or just the ICONS. You cannot do this in Edge (that I have found).
Yep, the Favorites bar sucks. I thought you could not see them. My bad.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
In passing our 2010 HP Notebook running Windows 7 upgraded without a problem, easier than the two Surface Pro 2's. Still waiting for the Intel Computer Stick and the big old desktop to get the go ahead.

It's not a big transition problem moving from 8.1 to 10, so far.

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
One thing I notice today is how much better Win 10 is at memory management while using Internet Explorer.
In 7 if opened 3 or 4 tabs they a opened basically a new whole version f IE as far as the memory was concerned. Open up the task manager and go to processes and you would see each of these processes. When you used them for awhile the memory age would go up.
Win 10 does that also.
However, when you closed the tabs in 7 and then looked in the task manager, processes, you would still see them. It kept them there for reopening those tabs.
Win 10 now completely closes them.
In Win 7 lots of times I would have to close IE completely and restart it to get the memory working correctly.

301 - 320 of 1144 Posts