DBSTalk Forum banner
321 - 340 of 1144 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
I just noticed the iCloud for Windows connector was missing in Outlook. Reinstalled / repaired didn't help. Of course, the Apple page says Win 7 / 8 / 8.1.

Google doesn't seem to know anything about the problem. . . any ideas other than to wait on Apple?

· Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
jimmie57 said:
One thing I notice today is how much better Win 10 is at memory management while using Internet Explorer.
In 7 if opened 3 or 4 tabs they a opened basically a new whole version f IE as far as the memory was concerned. Open up the task manager and go to processes and you would see each of these processes. When you used them for awhile the memory age would go up.
Win 10 does that also.
However, when you closed the tabs in 7 and then looked in the task manager, processes, you would still see them. It kept them there for reopening those tabs.
Win 10 now completely closes them.
In Win 7 lots of times I would have to close IE completely and restart it to get the memory working correctly.
Yes, it has fixed a lot of memory leaks with IE11 / flash. 8.1 had gotten to the point that I'd have to close all browsers and still kill a bunch in task manager.

· New Texan
11,467 Posts
Status of Windows 10 Upgrade:
  • The Uberboxen - Still waiting
  • Windows 7 HP Laptop - Still Waiting
  • Mother's Windows 8 Laptop - Update Ready
  • Test box at work with Windows 8 installed - Upgrade completed
Looks like Windows 8 is getting the upgrades first. I've been playing around with the Tech Preview at work also.

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
OK, so the two Microsoft Surface Pro 2's upgraded from 8.1 to 10 ok, but not without problems.

The 2010 HP Notebook upgraded from 7 to 10 without any problem.

The big HP Desktop on which I had 8.1 and 7 dual booting upgraded the 8.1 partition with no problem leaving the dual boot working fine.

The first run on the Intel Computer Stick I bought a couple of months ago failed. I have a complex problem in that I have the graphics resolution set to 720x10something (I'm not near the computer now) to feed my old 2003 Pany Plasma. When I click on the Microsoft Store app it won't run telling me the resolution is too low. But it streams video to that Pany just fine. I'll deal with it somehow, but I have a fear I'm not going to be able to get the proper video stream.

· Difficulty Concen........
Directv, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, HR34-700, HR44-500, C31-700, C41-700, 2 DIRECTV SWM16, 2 Zinwell WB68
7,250 Posts
Upgraded to 10 yesterday from 8.1 on my Dell.
My Firefox seems sluggish now.
So I tried to open IE. I have no idea what that is that has replaced it, but I cannot use it.
I found an icon that says favorites, and clearly it did not import mine.

I hope there is a way to regress back to a format I understand.

· Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
armophob said:
So I tried to open IE. I have no idea what that is that has replaced it, but I cannot use it.

The laptop upgrade preserved the IE11 icon in the quick launch bar. The desktop didn't.

Just go to program files and create a shortcut for IE. It's all still there with your favorites and layout. Or should be!

Directv, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, HR34-700, HR44-500, C31-700, C41-700, 2 DIRECTV SWM16, 2 Zinwell WB68
7,250 Posts
dennisj00 said:
The laptop upgrade preserved the IE11 icon in the quick launch bar. The desktop didn't.

Just go to program files and create a shortcut for IE. It's all still there with your favorites and layout. Or should be!
Thank you.
Windows 10 did not retain my favorites from 8.1.
But I have a back-up somewhere and at least I can now use IE to find it.

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
armophob said:
Thank you.
Windows 10 did not retain my favorites from 8.1.
But I have a back-up somewhere and at least I can now use IE to find it.
You should have the option to Import Favorites from IE. You also have a spot to Open using IE from within Edge.
Click on the Icon that is called the Hub, Then click on the familiar Star, the choose to Import Favorites

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
armophob said:

What you opened is called Edge. The Star is just for Adding new Favorites and then possibly seeing a list of them after you ad new ones.
See my previous post.

7,250 Posts
jimmie57 said:
What you opened is called Edge. The Star is just for Adding new Favorites and then possibly seeing a list of them after you ad new ones.
See my previous post.
I wish I knew what I did, but I was able to change "edge" back into a IE browser window.
So not I can use it more traditionally.

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
armophob said:
I wish I knew what I did, but I was able to change "edge" back into a IE browser window.
So not I can use it more traditionally.
Very good.
I wish I could help myself. LOL

I installed it on my HP desktop this morning and been having trouble with it all day, still not fixed.

Several moths ago I decided that I had not upgraded the video driver for my smoking hot card. I chose the one click option to let AMD check my card and install the latest driver. For some reason it thought my card was a Radeon HD5700 when in fact it is a Radeon HD6770. There is a lot of difference.

My windows will not stay where I put them ( using 2 monitors ) and the Home button and the Share button in Edge are both missing.
When it opens in the main monitor it is always off to the right side by about a half an inch.
I tried using an older driver but Win 10 is looking at the EDID of the card and says "No, that causes and error and was stopped " .
I even went into the registry and changed every reference of the HD5700 to the correct number.
except one place because it would not allow me to edit that one place. I tried deleting it, nope, not allowed.
I tried several places besides AMD and each of them did not have the stand alone driver but had a discovery program. Each of them found the card to be the 5700.
I have sent a "ticket" to AMD support that showed them the line in the Registry that is the problem. I do not want to go buy another card. That card was $200 extra when I bought this PC in 2011. A replacement is still almost $200. That would now be the AMD R9 series with 2 gig of ram.

AAARRRRHHHHH !!!!!

Then I was going to scan my pc with Norton since I always do that when I do something new like all the downloading I did.
It looked OK but it did not run a scan. I finally uninstalled it and redid it. It possibly was all the messing around I did all day that caused it. Who knows.
It is working now.
Mercy !

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
No problems with the Lenovo, Jimmie?

Rich

I am not having problems with the Lenovo except the keyboard seems to not be accepting keystrokes when using IE on the forum. It will have missing letter several times in just one typed line. I do not have this problem using Edge, which I am using now. I am on the HP that has been kicking me all day.
I have not tried this forum using IE on here. I will do that now to see if it appears to be Win 10 or the Lenovo.
Note that this is only on this site. In emails and other places I have to type it works just fine.

Edit: Now I am using the IE 11 out of the Edge program and the typing is as normal without any problems.

· Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
I've had Asus laptop and Dell Desktop on 8 and 8.1 under the same Windows Live login. Both had different wallpaper.

Since the update to 10, the same wallpaper bounces between both machines as I change them back individually.

That's pretty much the only problem (I can't disable the touchpad on the laptop when the mouse is plugged in like it was) but the Dell desktop has several other anomalies. IE11 still stops on it frequently but not on the laptop.

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
Update:
I finally got my video working. There were 2 entries, one right after the other for the same card listed in the drivers. Just for the heck of it I chose the first one and it said it was already installed. Then I chose the second one and indeed it installed it so it must be different. Yep, works much better.
The Home and the Share buttons were still not there as they should be in Edge.
I decided to give up on that and just play around with the settings that made things bigger and smaller to see how they worked. I tried to make Icons and text larger and accidently made them smaller by about 17%. Now that was tiny. But, Holey Moley, there were the Home and the Share buttons in Edge. WTH ? I adjusted it back to 100% and they were still there. I have no idea why this made them appear.

I still have the problem on this web site that if I click on Quote to reply to a post it will not put the quote in the reply , unless I go back and click it a second time. Playing around with it like I have a tendency to do I tried Right clicking on the Quote.
If you Right click you have the options to Open in another tab or Open in another window, Choosing either of those will open whatever you choose and it will put the Quote in the reply.

My son said his laptop install was error free. He said the install on his Alien was also, almost, except for the fact that the Sound Blaster card he has in the Alien does not have an updated driver that works in Win 10 and it is using a generic driver that does not make use of his Sub-woofer.

Good luck to everyone with their install.

Edit / Add: I just had 2 of those annoying auto start audio ads pop up. I remembered seeing a setting in the Settings of Edge that said Flash On or OFF. I turned it off and it did nothing. I closed Edge, reopened it, went to the same post and there was one ad with no sound and one spot was just black. Yeah !

· Legend
265 Posts
A big problem I found with Edge is when you view a PDF in it. There are no menu items to zoom in, page up or down, or even save the PDF for later. I had to actually load IE11 and return to that same website, click on the link to the PDF, and read it using IE11.

Hope they fix that soon.

However I was able to figure out how to use the favorites bar better. I rearranged all the links by dragging and dropping within their folder, renamed all of them to very short names, and now the favorites bar is at least usable. Not as easy to use as IE11, but at least useable.

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
Holydoc said:
A big problem I found with Edge is when you view a PDF in it. There are no menu items to zoom in, page up or down, or even save the PDF for later. I had to actually load IE11 and return to that same website, click on the link to the PDF, and read it using IE11.

Hope they fix that soon.

However I was able to figure out how to use the favorites bar better. I rearranged all the links by dragging and dropping within their folder, renamed all of them to very short names, and now the favorites bar is at least usable. Not as easy to use as IE11, but at least useable.
I just tried that at the Lowe's wesite for a product manual and my tool bar is missing from the page also.
Opened it with IE and the tool bar is there.

· Registered
454 Posts
armophob said:

You should switch to Chrome and call it a day. you can log in with your Gmail and sync favorites across all devices. Showed that feature to my mom and she loves it! And it finally made her stop using IE!

321 - 340 of 1144 Posts