DBSTalk Forum banner
341 - 360 of 1144 Posts

· Difficulty Concen........
Directv, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, HR34-700, HR44-500, C31-700, C41-700, 2 DIRECTV SWM16, 2 Zinwell WB68
7,251 Posts
dennisj00 said:
The laptop upgrade preserved the IE11 icon in the quick launch bar. The desktop didn't.

Just go to program files and create a shortcut for IE. It's all still there with your favorites and layout. Or should be!
Thanks

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
samrs said:
Yikes! Scratching Nutz.

I can do this..sigh.
Just open Edge, then click on the 1st Icon from the right edge and scroll down to Open with Internet Explorer.

You can click on the 4th Icon from the right,
From there You can even Import all your favorited from IE by clicking on the star in the open window, not the one on the top part of the screen, that is for adding a new favorite.

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
Still waiting somewhat impatiently for upgrades to my two eligible computers. I had preordered back on June 4. So much for early orders!

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
Cholly said:
Still waiting somewhat impatiently for upgrades to my two eligible computers. I had preordered back on June 4. So much for early orders!
Have you tried clicking on the Windows 10 symbol in the lower right hand side of the task bar ?
On my computers when I did that they immediately started the download.

· Godfather
1,143 Posts
I just learned they force updates without using some PITA tool. That's a deal killer for me, I remotely control several computers and can't have them rebooting on their own. Up time is dependability not installing patches and rebooting nightly.
That windows 10 update icon has only showed on 1 laptop BTW out of 6 computers.

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
camo said:
I just learned they force updates without using some PITA tool. That's a deal killer for me, I remotely control several computers and can't have them rebooting on their own. Up time is dependability not installing patches and rebooting nightly.
I feel certain that I have read and seen the place that you can turn off automatic updates. I will look for it again today.

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
Over all, I do feel that the forced updates are necessary (particularly Home edition). I've seen several cases where someone turned off updates and never applied them for years.

I had one user ticked off at me when she had to download two service packs on her home computer when we switched to wildcard ssl certs for connecting in.

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
camo said:
Take a look and read this link. If you are not an IT guy for several computers or not a really advanced person on computers, do NOT bother with this.
http://www.markspcsolution.com/2014/11/disable-automatic-update-in-windows-10.html

Here is another editorial about the means to edit this feature.

Ed Bott writes for ZDNet:

When Windows 10 arrives this week, Windows Update won't include that option, but Microsoft does have a well-hidden troubleshooter package, KB3073930, which allows you to hide or block Windows Updates and, crucially, driver updates.
The package was digitally signed on June 15, and the accompanying Knowledge Base article is dated July 7, just a few weeks ago. The package is labeled for use with the Windows 10 Insider Preview, but based on its performance on the final (10240) preview build, it looks like it should work with the final release beginning July 29.

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
jimmie57 said:
Have you tried clicking on the Windows 10 symbol in the lower right hand side of the task bar ?
On my computers when I did that they immediately started the download.
I've done that on a regular basis. I get the message stating that my upgrade is reserved and I'll be notified when Windows is ready to install. Of course, I could use the Windows Creation Tool, but I'd feel more comfortable with the normal download & install process.

· Godfather
1,143 Posts
jimmie57 said:
Take a look and read this link. If you are not an IT guy for several computers or not a really advanced person on computers, do NOT bother with this.
http://www.markspcsolution.com/2014/11/disable-automatic-update-in-windows-10.html

Here is another editorial about the means to edit this feature.

Ed Bott writes for ZDNet:

When Windows 10 arrives this week, Windows Update won't include that option, but Microsoft does have a well-hidden troubleshooter package, KB3073930, which allows you to hide or block Windows Updates and, crucially, driver updates.
The package was digitally signed on June 15, and the accompanying Knowledge Base article is dated July 7, just a few weeks ago. The package is labeled for use with the Windows 10 Insider Preview, but based on its performance on the final (10240) preview build, it looks like it should work with the final release beginning July 29.
Did the top link work for turning updates off? I posted link in a different forum hopefully someone will try it out and report back.

· Registered
4,146 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
Cholly said:
I've done that on a regular basis. I get the message stating that my upgrade is reserved and I'll be notified when Windows is ready to install. Of course, I could use the Windows Creation Tool, but I'd feel more comfortable with the normal download & install process.
Have you done a Shutdown / Restart of the computer. This usually triggers updates.

Does that screen you get when you click the icon say anything about Updates ? If there are any you will have to update it before the Win 10 will install.

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
camo said:
Did the top link work for turning updates off? I posted link in a different forum hopefully someone will try it out and report back.
I did not open any of that to try it. I am letting mine do the Auto method.

341 - 360 of 1144 Posts