DBSTalk Forum banner
361 - 380 of 1141 Posts

·
Icon
2,962 Posts
Cholly said:
I've done that on a regular basis. I get the message stating that my upgrade is reserved and I'll be notified when Windows is ready to install. Of course, I could use the Windows Creation Tool, but I'd feel more comfortable with the normal download & install process.
I use the Windows CreationTool with no problems.

·
Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
Automated upgrade kicked in and completed on my Windows 7 machine--64 bit. It took about 45 minutes. I selected my existing Internet options, instead of Edge, so am using Chrome with no problems. Now, I can explore Win 10 at my leisure.

Reactions: jimmie57

·
Super Moderator
53,993 Posts
There is an option on Windows 10 to "Choose how updates are installed". I have chosen "Notify to schedule restart" instead of "Automatic". Windows promises "You'll be asked to schedule a restart to finish installing updates."

That should work for me. I have software I run 24x7 where I'd rather do the reboots on my schedule.

I also recommend changing "Choose how updates are delivered" and either turn off update sharing or disabling sharing updates with PCs on the Internet. Mine defaulted to "PCs on the Internet" ... I do not need to use my uplink bandwidth to update stranger's machines.

·
Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
Used the Windows Creation Tool to update my primary computer this morning. All went well so far. I had a bit of a scare when logging on to complete setup. I thought that Windows wasn't accepting my password. It took several tries, but finall took. I use a strong password with caps and lowercase, numbers and special characters, so it's easy to goof up when touch typing with old, arthritic fingers. :grin:

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Cholly said:
Still waiting somewhat impatiently for upgrades to my two eligible computers. I had preordered back on June 4. So much for early orders!
You're not alone.

·
Registered
454 Posts
We have a small Acer laptop that we got free as a result of a class action lawsuit about floppy drives in eMachines brand computers being faulty, and it has been used very little because of Windows 8. Never even bothered to go to 8.1. I mentioned to my mother that we could get 10 for free and she said to give it a try. I booted it up last night and there were 111 updates to install. Restarted and there were another 6. Finally got it to start downloading 8.1 this afternoon and now it's installing that. Hopefully 8.1 to 10 goes a little faster.

·
Legend
1,188 Posts
mrknowitall526 said:
We have a small Acer laptop that we got free as a result of a class action lawsuit about floppy drives in eMachines brand computers being faulty, and it has been used very little because of Windows 8. Never even bothered to go to 8.1. I mentioned to my mother that we could get 10 for free and she said to give it a try. I booted it up last night and there were 111 updates to install. Restarted and there were another 6. Finally got it to start downloading 8.1 this afternoon and now it's installing that. Hopefully 8.1 to 10 goes a little faster.
Nothing wrong with Windows 8 or 8.1. Well, not near as good as Windows XP though.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
dpeters11 said:
First big update is out, cumulative update 3081424.
I put it on my laptop and just now on the desktop. So far I do not see any differences.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
dpeters11 said:
I expect it's one of those patches that unless it fixes an issue you've noticed, you wouldn't see a difference. No new features, etc.
It seems to have fixed my typing problem when using IE. Before this update by now it would have several missing characters from this row and have words jammed together.
Edge still does not put the post that I am quoting into the reply but IE does.

·
New Texan
11,467 Posts
I got the notification on my Uberboxen that the Windows 10 Upgrade is here. Slight problem.... I'm about to go on a 10 day vacation, so if I install it now, I'll experience issues and have no time to fix it. If I wait until I get back, then no issues will be experienced.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Yesterday morning I decided to install some non-essential updates and on the completion of the first one, Win10 appeared in the Control Panel Windows Updates as ready to DL.

So after last night Mets game, I decided to DL Win10. Well the DL took one last look at my computer and asked to install or to scheduled the install. I was going to schedule it, but thought what the hell and went for it.

The process took a little over an hour on my slow Verizon DSL service. The copying portion took most of the time, follow by the install and then the setup.

And then I was slightly confused looking for the shut down button, which I found has been replaced by the now standard power icon symbol.

Now after running Win10 all day, I must say it has made my fairly old, by computer standards, HP Win7 All-In-One run a lot faster. So I'm a happy camper.

361 - 380 of 1141 Posts