DBSTalk Forum banner
401 - 420 of 1141 Posts

· Registered
21,543 Posts
dpeters11 said:
The real problem is there is a lot of FUD. Access to microphone for example doesn't mean Microsoft is listening in.

What gets me is that some of those afraid of Microsoft use Google email and Android and don't have an issue there.
IIRC, when I installed an app under Windows 7, I was made aware what was going on; I had to allow it to access private messages or features, like my camera or microphone. I would have less of a problem with Win 10 if I had to opt in, instead of opt out, because the default privacy settings might not be to my liking.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-violates-your-privacy-by-default-heres-how-you-can-protect-yourself/

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
Steve said:
IIRC, when I installed an app under Windows 7, I was made aware what was going on; I had to allow it to access private messages or features, like my camera or microphone. I would have less of a problem with Win 10 if I had to opt in, instead of opt out, because the default privacy settings might not be to my liking.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-violates-your-privacy-by-default-heres-how-you-can-protect-yourself/
My main point is that I've seen comments such as "Microsoft is listening to everything you say, they are watching you through your camera, recording all keystrokes."

The FUD level has gotten past the tin foil hat stage in some areas.

· Lifetime Achiever
21,244 Posts
Laptop #2 done. This was an in place upgrade rather than a complete rebuild. Still need to finish the driver upgrades, the synaptics touchpad still seems a bit problematic.

The good news is ATI isn't complaining anymore. :)

Peace,
Tom

· Registered
21,543 Posts
dpeters11 said:
My main point is that I've seen comments such as "Microsoft is listening to everything you say, they are watching you through your camera, recording all keystrokes."
They are capturing some of your keystrokes, at least if you use Cortana. Don't get me wrong, I trust Microsoft, but what if Microsoft gets hacked? It's not likely, but certainly possible. I worry about identity theft, and I don't want to risk a hacker having access to my personal correspondence. Just me, tho.

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
Steve said:
They are capturing some of your keystrokes, at least if you use Cortana. Don't get me wrong, I trust Microsoft, but what if Microsoft gets hacked? It's not likely, but certainly possible. I worry about identity theft, and I don't want to risk a hacker having access to my personal correspondence. Just me, tho.
But if they don't capture what you type in Cortana, how else would it work? It's like complaining that Google tracks what you search on Google. Maybe it could be anonymized but the results still have to get back to you.That's my main thing, the ones that are afraid of what Microsoft is doing with their data when they use Google services, GMail and have an Android. But for the keystrokes, the comments I'd seen were that they tracked everything you typed, always had your camera on (disabling the red light of course) and recorded everything. Probably have someone in a room that looks like Cerebro watching the livestream in Redmond :)

· Registered
21,543 Posts
dpeters11 said:
But if they don't capture what you type in Cortana, how else would it work? It's like complaining that Google tracks what you search on Google. Maybe it could be anonymized but the results still have to get back to you.
Ya. I get the search results, but (assuming I configured my privacy options correctly :p), Google's not associating those results with my account. As a result, I believe I can query Google Now by voice to my heart's content without worrying about privacy. Can't do that with Cortana, AFAIK.

https://www.google.com/settings/accounthistory/search

https://myaccount.google.com/privacy

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
jimmie57 said:
No problems with the Lenovo, Jimmie?

Rich

I am not having problems with the Lenovo except the keyboard seems to not be accepting keystrokes when using IE on the forum. It will have missing letter several times in just one typed line. I do not have this problem using Edge, which I am using now. I am on the HP that has been kicking me all day.
I have not tried this forum using IE on here. I will do that now to see if it appears to be Win 10 or the Lenovo.
Note that this is only on this site. In emails and other places I have to type it works just fine.

Edit: Now I am using the IE 11 out of the Edge program and the typing is as normal without any problems.
Thanx, Jimmie. I'm still gonna wait to upgrade on the Lenovo, but I did upgrade a cobbled together desktop. Had no problems with that.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
samrs said:
did i mention i was enebreated. Just say'in. :grin:
Something I learned a long time ago: If you're inebriated don't do anything that involves anything complicated. Learned that the hard way. Almost got a baseball stuck in my ear playing third base. Easy line drive that I would have normally had no problem with. Only two glasses of beer before the game. Never drank after nine o'clock the night before a game again.

Rich

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
Rich said:
Thanx, Jimmie. I'm still gonna wait to upgrade on the Lenovo, but I did upgrade a cobbled together desktop. Had no problems with that.

Rich
I found out that the problem typing in this web site is somehow related to opening Edge and then choosing to open IE11 from inside Edge.
If I just open IE11 it types perfectly, as long as I hit the correct keys that is.

· Legend
1,188 Posts
Rich said:
BTW, I had no problems with the classic shell on my cobbled together desktop. It loaded right along with W10 and works just as well as it did before. Made me happy.

Rich
Same here. I like Classic Shell. Like your installation Classic Shell installed perfectly.

I wish there was someway to make the file directories look like Windows XP. Those directories looked much less complicated.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.

· Icon
1,065 Posts
Rich said:
BTW, I had no problems with the classic shell on my cobbled together desktop. It loaded right along with W10 and works just as well as it did before. Made me happy.

Rich
Classic Shell has been a rock-solid program since its inception.

Reactions: Rich

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
SeaBeagle said:
Same here. I like Classic Shell. Like your installation Classic Shell installed perfectly.

I wish there was someway to make the file directories look like Windows XP. Those directories looked much less complicated.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.
You mean like putting everything back in documents and settings? Not gonna happen :)

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

· Registered
21,543 Posts
I hate that "file details" now take up horizontal real estate in folder view, rather than sit at the bottom of the window, like in Win 7.

I relented and upgraded to 10 because I'm the "PC support" guy in my family and some family members are in the market for new PCs that will come with 10 installed, so I need to be conversant in it. That said, since I don't use a touch-screen PC or Windows tablet or phone, I'm still trying to find one way Win 10 has improved my mouse/keyboard computing experience over Win 7.

If it wasn't free, my guess is the % of Win 10 upgrades would be no higher than the 8.1 upgrades. Just my .02.

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Steve said:
I hate that "file details" now take up horizontal real estate in folder view, rather than sit at the bottom of the window, like in Win 7.

I relented and upgraded to 10 because I'm the "PC support" guy in my family and some family members are in the market for new PCs that will come with 10 installed, so I need to be conversant in it. That said, since I don't use a touch-screen PC or Windows tablet or phone, I'm still trying to find one way Win 10 has improved my mouse/keyboard computing experience over Win 7.

If it wasn't free, my guess is the % of Win 10 upgrades would be no higher than the 8.1 upgrades. Just my .02.
Hasn't changed the way I use my desktop, but I haven't had time or urge to play with it.

Rich

· Hall Of Fame
3,253 Posts
jimmie57 said:
Mine has the last 8 ? sites I have gone to. One of them is DBS talk New Content.
Maybe because you are not using it, or maybe you have IE set to clear the History on Exit.
Yes, I had "clear history on exit" set. I turned that off and see my recent sites now. Thanks!

· Registered
21,543 Posts
401 - 420 of 1141 Posts