DBSTalk Forum banner
441 - 460 of 1141 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
3,729 Posts
jimmie57 said:
When my laptop cranks up there is no login screen, just a picture and the WiFi sign and something else in the lower right hand side of the screen.
If I click the mouse anywhere on the picture or the WiFi symbol the Login screen pops up for me to sign in.
As long as I booted up with wifi on, clicking anywhere did absolutely nothing. The only thing I could click on was the wifi icon to turn on airplane mode or associate to other networks. I also had accessibility and the shut down / restart button.

If I flipped the wifi switch off, rebooted... then I would have my name in the lower left corner I could click on and type in my login information in the center.

I'd like to try it again but after installing and then rolling back, I have all these extra folders on the C: drive ($.SysReset, $Windows.~BT, and $Windows.WS). Not sure if constant upgrading and rolling back is good for the machine. I was going to wait for the first service pack, if they still opt to do that model of Windows servicing. Or just get a new laptop next year.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
cypherx said:
As long as I booted up with wifi on, clicking anywhere did absolutely nothing. The only thing I could click on was the wifi icon to turn on airplane mode or associate to other networks. I also had accessibility and the shut down / restart button.

If I flipped the wifi switch off, rebooted... then I would have my name in the lower left corner I could click on and type in my login information in the center.

I'd like to try it again but after installing and then rolling back, I have all these extra folders on the C: drive ($.SysReset, $Windows.~BT, and $Windows.WS). Not sure if constant upgrading and rolling back is good for the machine. I was going to wait for the first service pack, if they still opt to do that model of Windows servicing. Or just get a new laptop next year.
Check your Display Driver in the Device Manager and see if it has the correct driver.
One of my machines changed it to the Windows driver and I had some funky looking things on my screen. I did the Driver Update and let it go to the web to find it and it did nothing. Then I chose to have it show me drivers on my machine and let me choose. Of course it thought I was nuts, but it let me do it anyway. Then all my screen stuff looks as it should.
I also had to remove my Set Point software for my mouse and go get the newer version for it to work.

I do not know what effects there are from upgrading, going back and then upgrading again.
They have had about 6 Cumulative updates since the original came out. You might also need to load them after you upgrade next time and it might have the fix you need to make the screen correct. One of them was to correct some incompatibilities.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
Just a few notes...

You can't do a clean install on Win10 unless there is a previous good install of Win 7 or 8.

I have seen quite a few people who used 'Paragon Migrate OS to SSD' software and had issues upgrading to Win10.

I have a repair disk on the way. I'm not convinced this will help. I have a Macrium Rescue Disk and it couldn't repair the SSD OS.

I have a Dell contact who may be able to get me a Win7 disk.

I replaced the SSD in my laptop which I used for Win10 testing (upgraded to Win10 Pro perfectly). I have the old laptop drive with Win 7 on it. I may attach to PC and clone to SSD. Or create a recovery disk.

Still working the issue and thanks for all the ideas.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
dmspen said:
You can't do a clean install on Win10 unless there is a previous good install of Win 7 or 8.
I believe you can, but you would either have to buy Windows 10 or possibly do the clean install after you installed the Win 10 upgrade.

·
Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
For those who may have lost their key, I came across this in another forum:

For future reference, you can copy and paste the following script into a text editor, then save it as productkey.vbs. When you double click on it to run, it will search the register and decrypt the Windows product key for the installed version of Windows.

Code:
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

·
Éminence grise
8,457 Posts
I recently bought a cheap ($140 Amazon Prime deal of the day) Lenovo S21E-20 laptop with Windows 8.1. It only has a 20 GB SSD but had the icon for the Windows 10 upgrade. It downloaded the file and then said there wasn't enough room to install. I then tried installing from a USB thumb drive but that also failed. It said it was ~900 MB short but I hadn't added any apps or other files and didn't want to risk deleting something critical. I have used it a bit and 8.1 doesn't seem all that bad after all.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,376 Posts
The installation process needs a lot more space because in addition to the 3GB download along with the OS install itself, it has to extract the files from the download to a temporary location and create a copy of your current OS as a backup so you can revert if there's problems afterwards. After the install is finished, the temporary files are removed while the OS backup is compressed and can be deleted with Disk Cleanup if everything is working.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,937 Posts
I just restarted my HP Pavilion G6 laptop, which is loaded with Windows 7, because it was running a little slow, but it went into an "installing updates" routine before shutting down, as it often does, only this one was huge. It said it was undertaking a 25 step procedure which took about half an hour, and at its conclusion it then updated over 41,000 files, keeping me apprised of its approximate progress. I was guessing that it was finally forcing my scheduled but user-postponed Windows 10 upgrade, but it wasn't. It was just updating my Windows 7. Any idea why such a huge, seemingly routine upgrade to Windows 7?

·
Legend
1,188 Posts
bobnielsen said:
I recently bought a cheap ($140 Amazon Prime deal of the day) Lenovo S21E-20 laptop with Windows 8.1. It only has a 20 GB SSD but had the icon for the Windows 10 upgrade. It downloaded the file and then said there wasn't enough room to install. I then tried installing from a USB thumb drive but that also failed. It said it was ~900 MB short but I hadn't added any apps or other files and didn't want to risk deleting something critical. I have used it a bit and 8.1 doesn't seem all that bad after all.
140.00 great price but not much use because of the tinsy winsy hard drive.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
Yesterday I was browsing Windows forums trying to find a fix to my Win7 boot/Win 10 upgrade issue.
I decided to give the Dell Recovery bit a try. F11 on boot brought up a Boot Manager screen. BOOTMGR was missing from my Win7 SSD setup. On the screen was an option to "boot to last known good configuration". Select, and ENTER.
WooHoo! Booted into my previously unbootable SSD. Now I can update.to Win10. Uh oh. Not so fast laddie. Error code 8007005. Basically I don't have permission to install.

OK, further research tells me I still have BOOT issues, and I'm basically booted into a non-user account. Several posts mentioned Microsoft having them downloading and running a Windows repair tool from Tweaking.com. So, I did. Ran the tool which took quite a while, over an hour.

At the end it said time to reboot. Uh oh, this is where I've had my issues.

YAY! Booted into my SSD for the first time since Aug 7.

Ran Windows Update (took forever) and there's Win10. I left it installing when I came to work. We'll see where it is when I get home.

Thanks to all who offered help. I may be close to getting it done.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
AntAltMike said:
I just restarted my HP Pavilion G6 laptop, which is loaded with Windows 7, because it was running a little slow, but it went into an "installing updates" routine before shutting down, as it often does, only this one was huge. It said it was undertaking a 25 step procedure which took about half an hour, and at its conclusion it then updated over 41,000 files, keeping me apprised of its approximate progress. I was guessing that it was finally forcing my scheduled but user-postponed Windows 10 upgrade, but it wasn't. It was just updating my Windows 7. Any idea why such a huge, seemingly routine upgrade to Windows 7?
None of this months patches are anything like that. I'm assuming (or hoping) that you already had SP1. If you go into Windows Update and Windows Update history, is anything listed for that day?

·
New Texan
11,467 Posts
FYI: I'm posting this across multiple forums. :) I'm also making this link rich.

It seems to me that when I got through technology upgrades, it goes in the cycle of long periods without any significant upgrade, followed by spurts of multiple upgrades. Last Fall, for example, I finally upgraded my dual-core E6600 which I had built in spring, 2007 to the UberBoxen - a i7-4790K beast of a machine, along with upgrading the home DSL to a 15Mb connection and changing the home phone line to a VoIP connection (sorry, folks, we still use a fax machine). Then, in the past two months, I upgraded my mothers cell phone from a five year old flip phone to a Samsung S5, while I upgraded my own cell phone from a Samsung S3 to a LG G4, plus obtaining a new color duplex printer, a Brother HLL8350CDW Wireless Color Laser Printer. And, oh yeah, upgrade from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10.

I am particularly interested in the Windows 10 upgrade. During a Black Friday sale, I had obtained a deal on some good memory to upgrade my UberBoxen from 8 GB to 32 GB. It wasn't until the day after I placed the order that I realized that Windows 7 Home Premium has a 16GB limit. Whoops. Now, I realize that, for the typical user, there are diminishing returns once you get beyond 8 GB... unless you plan on running a virtualization platform like Virtualbox or Lightworks video editing. Until very recently, games were compiled for 32bits as well, so they did not even exceed 4GB. If I were to advise someone building a computer, I would suggest doing a price comparison between 8 GB and 16 GB. Plus, RAM is always easy to expand later.

I did not receive the Windows 10 upgrade for the UberBoxen until just before I went on a 10 day vacation. As I am a big believer in both Murphy's Law and Chaos Theory, I figured I would wait until I get back from vacation. Boy, was I glad I did that. While I did make a full drive image just in case I have to go back, that was not needed. However, I had a few stumblesteps along the way.

First time I initiated the Windows 7 upgrade, I got.... "We couldn't update the system reserved partition" error message. Well, that's just great. Pull up Google, and I found this message thread pointing to this Windows 7 Forum post about moving the boot partition to the C: drive using EasyBCD. Quick fix, but now I have a 100MB partition that is not being used. This isn't 1990. I can't worry too much about 100MB on a 500GB SSD drive.

Time to try Windows update again, and yet another error message: "Windows Update Error Code 80070103". Aaarrrgghhhh.... and it's related to drivers. I figured I would remove the the AntiVirus and visit my motherboard support page to download updated drivers. Because I had no anti-virus installed, Windows insisted that I install Windows Security. This will turn out to be a bad idea. :(

Third time attempting updates.... and it WORKS! But, it's too early to celebrate. Another error message pops up: "Error This device can't release to failure!". Seriously, who writes up these error messages? Another Google search shows this forum post relating to the GigaByte apps. Sigh. Time to remove and reinstall those applications. I won't get into the mess of trying to remove Microsoft Security Essentials in order to reinstall Kapersky's Anti-Virus. (But, it's FREE!)

And, the end result? To me, it feels like Windows 10 is running faster than my Windows 7. The Start menu takes a little getting used to, but it's not the travesty that Windows 8 Metro (or is it TETRIS) that marred Windows 8 and doomed an otherwise good release. I'm still having to tweak a few things in the background, like resetting Notepad++ to be the default editor instead of Windows Notepad. And, I downloaded Ultimate Windows Tweaker for Windows 10, so I want to explore that too. Unfortunately, Windows Edge isn't exactly done yet, so I'm still using Chrome and Firefox. I have integrated my Google Calendar and Google Mail account into Windows 10, and it seems to work.... just not well.

Inevitably, someone is going to post their list of must have applications for Windows. Not to be left out, here is my list:
  • KeePass and LastPass Password Managers - Yes, I use both! Keepass is my master password list, but it is also handy for holding my registration keys for products. LastPass contains a subset of my passwords, and is cloud based. Both have strong encryption for keeping the passwords secure.
  • FreeFileSync - If you are like me, you probably carry a USB stick of files with you. With me, it's two USB sticks.... one containing my personal files, and one containing a set of utilities "just in case". FreeFileSync is an excellent utility to back up those files to a hard drive.
  • ShareX - As part of my job in technical support, screen shots are essential when diagnosing an issue. I had been using PicPick, but just stumbled upon a free yet more powerful screen capturing tool. Want your screen shot to be automatically saved with a time stamp? No problem. Timed screen shots? No problem. MP4 video of what is occurring? No problem.
  • Paint.net - Want a powerful yet free photo editing program? Paint.net should be one of the first programs to look at. I often use it to annotate screen shots in my work.
  • VLC - Another "Free yet powerful" video player that plays multiple formats. It's worth mentioning that is can also play back DVDs... something that Microsoft wants you to pay for!
  • Notepad++ - Did I mention that I hate Windows Notepad? This notepad replacement is multi-tabbed, and extremely powerful. Now, they need to fix and re-enable spell-checking.
Next up on my list.... upgrading my Windows 7 laptop. As for my mothers Windows 8 system.... somehow, she managed to initiate the upgrade, and it worked!

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
I got 3 more Updates yesterday. Nothing tells what they were for.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
Take a look at the taskbar when you have 2 or more programs running at the same time.
With one open and on the screen, slide your mouse over the second program on the Task Bar. When you do a little preview / thumbnail pops up. That is cool. Now slide your mouse onto the preview / thumbnail and the first program goes away and the second one pops up on the screen. When you move your mouse off of it, the program goes away and the first one is back on the screen.
Mikey Likes It.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
Anyone else having the Runtime Broker issue? It's a process in Win 10 (also in Win 8). If there's a bad app Runtime Broker can run your CPU up to 40% and hog over a gig of memory. The process is easy to kill but evidently its difficult to figure out what's causing it.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,882 Posts
jimmie57 said:
Take a look at the taskbar when you have 2 or more programs running at the same time.
With one open and on the screen, slide your mouse over the second program on the Task Bar. When you do a little preview / thumbnail pops up. That is cool. Now slide your mouse onto the preview / thumbnail and the first program goes away and the second one pops up on the screen. When you move your mouse off of it, the program goes away and the first one is back on the screen.
Mikey Likes It.
Wasn't this in 7 and 8/8.1 ??

441 - 460 of 1141 Posts