DBSTalk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
AntAltMike said:
I have a 1995 Astro Van and a 2000 Corolla. They can't turn mine off.

BTW, whenever people ask me for a jump start, they rarely need one. Most commonly, they have had their car electronically shut down due to a payment default. If they say they are current, I tell them to turn on their headlights and then try to start it. If the headlights come on strong and don't dim when they turn the key, then most times, it is due to electronic ignition kill.
I know a person that bought a car with one of those things in it. Even got to see a picture of it.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
dpeters11 said:
Yeah, and those systems can be hacked. But the one that was just in the news goes way beyond that. Hackers getting full control of the vehicle, though oddly at least now, they can only remotely take control of the wheel when in reverse.
Still do a lot of damage in reverse. I'm all for progress, but this is really getting ridiculous. Our whole economy is gonna end up being based on how many Net things we purchase.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
phrelin said:
And so it begins Windows 10 Automatic Updates Start Causing Problems.

The problem described in this Forbes piece is similar to the problem I had with that simple notification email. In this case, if you were a tester of the Windows 10 build process, my guess is they didn't send and install files piecemeal over a period of weeks. So literally this process has not been tested on, say, a random 1 million beta testers. So of course this will happen. It's not a surprise to me because in the process of trying to get my one computer to be compatible I simply could not get a driver to work on the video because it needed some older version intermediate software running to control the hardware and driver. That computer cannot be upgraded to Windows 10 because they want a different driver that can't be controlled by the old software and the new software won't work on the old card.

I am pretty sure our two Surface Pro 2's and the 2015 Intel Computer Stick will have no problem with the update. Since I have the old desktop dual booting with Win 7 and 8.1 my guess it will work. I'm not sure about the HP 2010 notebook which is running Win 7.

But the explanation in the article is somewhat disturbing:

What would have been perfect for me is to have had access to a Surface Pro 4 (or even a 3) built with Windows 10. Yeah, that's an expensive option but if I have any problems with our Pro 2's, like many here our "lives" are in those computers.

But I'm sure it will all go well. (That's me being totally out of character.)
I've got 3 Lenovo laptops. This doesn't sound good.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
jimmie57 said:
I am installing Win 10 on my Lenovo laptop as I type this. It is at 9 percent complete. I will update after it gets finished. This is from my IPad. Holding off on my desktop for now to see how this goes. Fingers, toes, legs and other parts crossed !
I sure hope you're successful!

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Steve said:
So far, I'm completely underwhelmed by 10. App performance seems to be identical, and since I don't use a touch screen or choose to use any Microsoft services (mail, browser, calendar, contacts, etc), I'm not sure what the advantage is using this over 7. I see I have 30 days to revert back. I may just do that because I find all the Microsoft service hooks embedded in the UI annoying, to be honest.
Coming from you, I'll wait.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
jimmie57 said:
No problems with the Lenovo, Jimmie?

Rich

I am not having problems with the Lenovo except the keyboard seems to not be accepting keystrokes when using IE on the forum. It will have missing letter several times in just one typed line. I do not have this problem using Edge, which I am using now. I am on the HP that has been kicking me all day.
I have not tried this forum using IE on here. I will do that now to see if it appears to be Win 10 or the Lenovo.
Note that this is only on this site. In emails and other places I have to type it works just fine.

Edit: Now I am using the IE 11 out of the Edge program and the typing is as normal without any problems.
Thanx, Jimmie. I'm still gonna wait to upgrade on the Lenovo, but I did upgrade a cobbled together desktop. Had no problems with that.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
samrs said:
did i mention i was enebreated. Just say'in. :grin:
Something I learned a long time ago: If you're inebriated don't do anything that involves anything complicated. Learned that the hard way. Almost got a baseball stuck in my ear playing third base. Easy line drive that I would have normally had no problem with. Only two glasses of beer before the game. Never drank after nine o'clock the night before a game again.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Steve said:
I hate that "file details" now take up horizontal real estate in folder view, rather than sit at the bottom of the window, like in Win 7.

I relented and upgraded to 10 because I'm the "PC support" guy in my family and some family members are in the market for new PCs that will come with 10 installed, so I need to be conversant in it. That said, since I don't use a touch-screen PC or Windows tablet or phone, I'm still trying to find one way Win 10 has improved my mouse/keyboard computing experience over Win 7.

If it wasn't free, my guess is the % of Win 10 upgrades would be no higher than the 8.1 upgrades. Just my .02.
Hasn't changed the way I use my desktop, but I haven't had time or urge to play with it.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
dmspen said:
Here's my ongoing Win10 story...
I received the free upgrade notification weeks ago.
Two weeks ago, the day before vacation, our PC would not boot. Boot Bar filled 3/4 then stopped.
Bah! Going on vacation...power down

Back from vacation and working the issue.
When trying to boot from my SSD, I get "BOOTMGR missing ctl-alt-del to restart". Evidently something happened.
When I installed the SSD, I used Paragon Migrate OS to SSD software to copy the old drive to the SSD. Since the old Win 7 boot files were still on the old hard drive, I was able to boot to it.
Now the oddities. Windows reports its not genuine and won't let me fix it. The SSD doesn't show in Explorer. I had to go into diskmgmt and assign it a letter.
Still won't boot - same BOOTMGR issue. Tried a Macrium backup image restore to the SSD. Worked, but same BOOTMGR issue.
Thought to myself, "I'll just do a clean install of Win10!" I figured I had already received the notification so I was OK. D/l'ed the Win10 iso.

Nope. Can't update if it appears there's no valid Win 7 present.

So, I can't update, I don't have a Win 7 iso to re-install, Dell won't talk to me since I'm out of warranty.

Any ideas?
Other than the fact that I'm still scared to update my Lenovo laptop, no. But you should be able to buy a valid W7 or W8 disc and use that, no?

Changing OSs always scares me. My desktop took the upgrade cleanly, but I don't use it all that much and don't want to lose my laptop.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Mark Holtz said:
I updated my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10 this morning. Unlike the UberBoxen, this was a smooth upgrade.
Brand and model of laptop, please. I'm still iffy about upgrading my Lenovo Z710. I'd appreciate any comments from anyone having the same laptop I have.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
dpeters11 said:
I don't have the Z10, but my Y510p is similar, except I think in the graphics card. I've been using Windows 10 since the first Insider build came out.
Because of your post, I finally worked up the nerve to download the OS. Went perfectly, my thanx.

Rich

21 - 40 of 64 Posts