DBSTalk Forum banner
721 - 740 of 1143 Posts

· Premium Member
11,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #721 ·
Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 (KB3173428) and Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 Build: 10586.494 (KB3172985) rolled out today. Download and install time is lengthy so set some time aside.

· Super Moderator
54,187 Posts
Last night my wife updated her Windows 7 machine ... and I decided to update my Windows 7 machine. There was a countdown on the screen letting us know how many hours and minutes we had to accept the free offer.

I had to run Windows 7 updates first and managed to accept the update and start the Windows 10 download before midnight. The download completed around 1am and I had a Windows 10 machine before 4am.

Both my wife and I decided to upgrade so we will not need to worry about Windows 7 end of life.

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
Last year, I made a macrium reflect image of my Windows 7 on both my computers, upgraded to windows 10, did a macrium reflect image of both windows 10 drives, then restored windows 7. Now I am ready in case they stop supporting windows 7, but will keep using it until the end. I was going to keep using Windows 10, but had to many issues with it...and wasnt ready to give up AERO, and HATE those Tiles.

· Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
They've set the date for end of support, January 2020. There are apps that can be used to put a classic start menu on 10.

A bit of perspective, there were those that hated the start menu itself when it was introduced. Or that hated aero.

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
That is true. It wasnt so much the look as the driver issues I was having on some older components on my desktop. The laptop worked just fine, as far as I could tell. The one thing that was really annoying though, was installing an older media player (simple without bloat), and Windows 10 would not allow it to take control of the media file extensions, but said I would have to go into preferences and change each and every extension individually to use the new program. That was not going to happen.

If there were anything added to Windows 10 I was interested in using, and didnt add all the intrusions you have to disable, it might be more accepted here.

· Premium Member
11,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #728 ·
On 2 August 16 the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Version 1607 Build: 14393) began rolling out. This update is a staggered release so it may be a few days before you get it.

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
I was able to get it last night. It's a big update, so be prepared for a lengthy update process. Download and installation took almost two hours.

· Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
I just checked for updates and there it was. Took about 30 minutes total...I think. I went to bed :sleeping:

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Steve said:
If you don't have it yet, go to Windows Update and click on the "Learn More" link. I just did, and it took about an hour and 15 minutes to download and install.
I use two computers, one a laptop and the other a desktop that I rescued from my son and fixed somehow or other (I didn't write down what I did and don't remember specifics. I was trying to fix an overheating problem and I did.) The laptop, a Lenovo Z710, had a rough time downloading the Anniversary update and installing it. Took over 3 hours. The laptop did have the update available on the 2nd and I just did what I always do with an update. I actually gave up on the update and just let the laptop sit while I ran out for some errands. It was up and running correctly when I got home.

While I was working on the laptop update I ran downstairs and checked the desktop and it didn't have an available update. That morning I had received an email from one of the web sites that detailed how to hit that "Learn More" link and I did that. The desktop downloaded the update and installed it in an hour and a half. Pretty big difference in the two downloads. When I left the house I was of the opinion that the update had destroyed the laptop and I was working myself up to buy a new laptop. Don't need to do that, the laptop is running just as well as it always has.

I guess I did the "rescue" of the desktop properly...

Rich

· Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
I started the update on my refurbed Dell 760 computer at 6:30 last night. First, the malicious software removal tool had to be updated, as well as Windows being updated to the latest pre-Anniversary level. That all took about an hour. Then I used the :"learn more" link to download the Anniversary edition. During the download, I went to the store to pick up a few thins and then ate dinner. When I got back to the computer, I found the update had crashed. A suggestion was to disable antivirus software and I did so in Task Manager, then tried again. Once again, the update started with the download and then crashed after about an hour. I checked MS support and was informed that I should disable any external drives and disable all startup tasks except internet related tasks and those for display, keyboard and mouse. By now it was around midnight. I started the update again (with download, of course :bang ) and this time it was a success - ending around 2 a.m. :sleeping:

· Registered
2,059 Posts
My Lenovo laptop has been trying to install the anniversary update for more than 12 hours. Got through the first 71% ok then a reboot which resulted in a black screen with spinning circle of dots that's been there for the past 11 hours. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
gpg said:
My Lenovo laptop has been trying to install the anniversary update for more than 12 hours. Got through the first 71% ok then a reboot which resulted in a black screen with spinning circle of dots that's been there for the past 11 hours. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Try backing out of the update, go to the Settings window, go to updates and hit the Learn More link and you'll find a way to get the update. I used that for my desktop and the download and update went much smoother than my laptop's update did. The laptop used the regular method of getting an update.

Rich

721 - 740 of 1143 Posts