DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Of the more than 75 machines and 50 users of Windows 10 that are known by us personally...only 2 people use Edge - all the rest use Chrome for their browser.

Works great with WIN10.
I have no intention of using Edge. Chrome works really well.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
dpeters11 said:
I'm one of them, but partly because I won't really use it until it has extensions. Once it does, I'll give it a try as a daily driver.
Yup, I looked at it once, saw no extensions and quickly switch to Chrome, where it will stay.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Steve said:
Chrome does use a bit of memory, tho. Shown below are the task manager with just this page open and a couple of extensions running in Chrome, and the same page open in Edge.

EDITED TO ADD: And that's 64-bit Chrome 45, which uses less memory than its predecessors.
Am I reading the thumbnails wrong or does Chrome use less memory than Edge? Sure looks like Chrome uses less. I must be reading it wrong?

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Steve said:
If you add up all instances of Chrome running vs. all instanced of Edge, off the top of my head, I'm seeing about 470MB for Chrome vs. 220MB for Edge, on the same page.
I thought that line on the top gave the total memory used. Doesn't matter, I'm gonna keep using Chrome. I'm used to it. That matters to me.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Made the transition to Windows 10 Pro yesterday (Was waiting for a program to update for Windows 10 compatibility). Download and install went well. No issues after install. Am very pleased with Windows 10 Pro.
I really thought I was gonna have problems with the transition. Seems like I was wrong again. It really seems to have gone flawlessly.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
SeaBeagle said:
I do not know what "he" is asking about but, I know what she is asking about. I hate male dominated places.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.
That's what avatars are for. Just take a selfie and put it in as your avatar.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
SeaBeagle said:
that is because when in other forums guys instead of answering questions from women ask them personal information and things like that.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.
There is a button that you can push if you think someone who knows your gender is being inappropriate. Use it, I do if someone says something inappropriate to me.

But you can't complain if someone who doesn't know what gender you are assumes you are male unless YOU take some steps that assure everybody what you are. I think.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Running on 4 PCs and a tablet successfully here for some time now. Know dozens of others running Windows 10 without any real issues as well.
Even with my ungodly lack of luck I have had no problems with the upgrade.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 (KB3149135) and Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 Build: 10586.420 (KB3163018) rolled out today.
For some reason, I don't seem to be getting updates. I do follow this thread and for the last few updates you posted about...nothing. When I go to Power on the menu I should be seeing "Restart and Update", no? All I've seen for the last few months are "Restart" or "Shutdown". What do you suppose I'm doing wrong?

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Mark Holtz said:
Start -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Check For Updates .
Thanx Mark. I did do that each time I was notified on the forum and didn't see any indication that an update was available. Can't help but wonder why my laptop stopped telling me they were available.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
dpeters11 said:
At some point there is an autorestart, so it might be applied and you didn't realize it.
That hadn't been happening. My desktop that I rarely use gets automatic updates but my laptop always had a notification on the Power button until a couple updates ago. I guess one of the updates stopped that.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
Steve said:
If you don't have it yet, go to Windows Update and click on the "Learn More" link. I just did, and it took about an hour and 15 minutes to download and install.
I use two computers, one a laptop and the other a desktop that I rescued from my son and fixed somehow or other (I didn't write down what I did and don't remember specifics. I was trying to fix an overheating problem and I did.) The laptop, a Lenovo Z710, had a rough time downloading the Anniversary update and installing it. Took over 3 hours. The laptop did have the update available on the 2nd and I just did what I always do with an update. I actually gave up on the update and just let the laptop sit while I ran out for some errands. It was up and running correctly when I got home.

While I was working on the laptop update I ran downstairs and checked the desktop and it didn't have an available update. That morning I had received an email from one of the web sites that detailed how to hit that "Learn More" link and I did that. The desktop downloaded the update and installed it in an hour and a half. Pretty big difference in the two downloads. When I left the house I was of the opinion that the update had destroyed the laptop and I was working myself up to buy a new laptop. Don't need to do that, the laptop is running just as well as it always has.

I guess I did the "rescue" of the desktop properly...

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
gpg said:
My Lenovo laptop has been trying to install the anniversary update for more than 12 hours. Got through the first 71% ok then a reboot which resulted in a black screen with spinning circle of dots that's been there for the past 11 hours. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Try backing out of the update, go to the Settings window, go to updates and hit the Learn More link and you'll find a way to get the update. I used that for my desktop and the download and update went much smoother than my laptop's update did. The laptop used the regular method of getting an update.

Rich

· Premium Member
36,659 Posts
gpg said:
Thanks Rich. You inspired the act that solved my problem, but not in the exact way you suggested. I momentarily powered down the laptop in attempt to back out of the install as you suggested. When I powered back on, the laptop it said it was recovering the install and lo and behold it restarted again and jumped to 75% complete.

Thirty minutes later the install completed and the anniversary update is up and running. I sure hope subsequent updates go more smoothly.
Glad it worked!

Rich

41 - 60 of 64 Posts