DBSTalk Forum banner
141 - 160 of 1141 Posts

·
Old Guys Rule!
5,048 Posts
SeaBeagle said:
Back when we had regular vehicles before those junky imports started showing up not very good of a reputation. But, now with those junky Toyotas, Mazdas, Nissans a Rambler would put all of those junky cars to shame. Been better if this country would is those imports would never been sold here.
You're kidding, of course? You might be well advised to look at the reviews of these brands in Consumer Reports, Car & Driver and Motor Trend. You'd find that all make quality cars. I've owned Hondas and Toyotas and would stake them at any of the traditionallly "American " cars Ii've owned - Chevys, Fords, Plymouths. My current car is a Toyota Prius, which is probabl the best quality car I've ever owned.
All the "foreign" brands you've mentioned have plants in America. Here's a list from the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/06/19/automobiles/20090619-auto-plants-4.html

As to the Rambler: It was considered to be the first American compact car. Ramblers were produced only from 1950 until 1958.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,956 Posts
Cholly said:
As to the Rambler: It was considered to be the first American compact car. Ramblers were produced only from 1950 until 1958.
Ramblers were produced at the turn of the 20th century. Nash bought the company and changed the name to Nash Motors in 1916.

Nash-Kelvinator and Hudson combined in 1954 to create American Motors and the Nash and Hudson brands gave way to the new Rambler brand in 1958. American Motors dropped the Rambler brand and went with AMC in 1968 and AMC was scavenged by Chrysler 20 years later. An ignominious death for the company that brought us the Hornet, the "Bathtub Car" (Nash Statesman) and the Cosmopolitan.

·
Icon
2,962 Posts
A little off topic but does anybody remembers a movie from the fifthties I believe about hot rods which if I remembers correctly feature Nashes as the cars driven by the police which could never catch up to the hot rods.

Ps. The movie I am looking for is Hot Rod from 1950. From TCM

David Langham (James Lydon), the youngest son of a hot-rod hating father, Judge Langham (Art Baker), buys an old jalopy but, out of respect for his father, doesn't convert it. He changes his mind when Jack Blodgett (Tommy Bond), the local speed demon, impresses David's girl, Janie Pitts (Gloria Winters), and David makes his car the fastest in town. Jack steals David's hot rod, and flees the scene of an accident he causes. The car is traced back to David, but the truth comes out in court, although David's father is still unhappy about the car...until David and his friend, Swifty Johnson (Gil Stratton Jr.), use it to apprehend some escaping robbers. The Judge decides to back a movement for building a hot-rod race track for the town.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,251 Posts
Rich said:
I read your posts and all I can think of is how ignorant I am. My own fault for just using computers instead of learning how they work.

Rich
I know how computers work. You push the power button and wait. And to turn them off you push the start button (doesn't seem intuitive).

I also know how electricity works. You push the wall button and the light comes on. You don't have to wait.

·
Premium Member
36,659 Posts
jimmie57 said:
I cranked up my old Dell running Windows XP this morning. I do this every now and then just to see that it still works. It did after reseating the video card.
After the 3 updates that it had to load and install I did not get the Windows 10 free upgrade sign.
Of course this is what I expected.
Yeah, they stopped supporting XP a while ago. I tried to fix a friend's computer and it was running XP. I got a message saying that XP was no longer supported.

Rich

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,956 Posts
billsharpe said:
You push the wall button and the light comes on. You don't have to wait.
Unless you have some of those particularly slow CFL or LED lamps where there is a noticeable delay.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
Rich said:
Yeah, they stopped supporting XP a while ago. I tried to fix a friend's computer and it was running XP. I got a message saying that XP was no longer supported.

Rich
It also tried to update Java but the program told me that it does not support XP. I had to cancel the install of the new update.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
Steve said:
I'm not sure Java doesn't pose a similar security risk.

Speaking of security, more calls to abolish Flash: http://www.wired.com/2015/07/adobe-flash-player-die/
I do have troubles with Flash very often. Some sites want Active-X filtering On, some want it off. I have uninstalled it, started over, changed the Global settings, etc.

Then there are several other forms of video players that all seem to fight over who is going to play it and you wind up with nothing.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
XP just needs to go away. There is a hack to get updates until 2019, but it's not something I'd do.

Flash and Java (in the browser) also need to go away.

Vista support ends April 2017, Win 7 Jan 2019, Windows 8.1 Jan 2023.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
dpeters11 said:
XP just needs to go away. There is a hack to get updates until 2019, but it's not something I'd do.

Flash and Java (in the browser) also need to go away.

Vista support ends April 2017, Win 7 Jan 2019, Windows 8.1 Jan 2023.
OS is something I prefer not to get to far behind in. I never want to be my aunt who was statisfied with her 19" B&W TV.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,099 Posts
Drucifer said:
OS is something I prefer not to get to far behind in. I never want to be my aunt who was statisfied with her 19" B&W TV.
That's probably a wise choice, otherwise you'd probably be well advised to consult with Bruce er,
Caitlyn Jenner.

What... too soon? :shrug:

·
Hall Of Fame
16,178 Posts
Drucifer said:
Yeah, I wasn't happy when I had to revert my mother's Vista laptop to XP, even with the issues early on with Vista. But she had some programs she refused to upgrade to compatible versions. Fortunately I convinced her to go to 7 before XP expired.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,956 Posts
Vista had a few wins over XP but UAC outweighed most or all of them.

Only now are we seeing mainstream software that can't be made to run under XP (not simply because of version checking).

141 - 160 of 1141 Posts