DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Legend
1,222 Posts
I sold my Dell XPS 18 computer and updated to a ACER Aspire AZ1-621G-UW11. Interested me to see the Windows 10 update window come into play. The Acer is brand new so will install all the updates available as soon as possible.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile app

·
Legend
1,222 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Best advice so far.

It's for this very reason that rushing to upgrade is not prudent for most folks - you have a year.

The biggest hiccups early on will likely come from shortcomings of drivers for various hardware, including printers, monitors, cameras, video cams, etc. Individual companies will be updating their drivers over time...but only a limited number will have Win 10 supported day one.

Another consideration is the change to Windows Edge (from Internet Explorer earlier versions). For those using Chrome or something else...there still may be some "hiccups" in the beginning days or weeks after Win 10 is available (end of this month).

Bottom line...few pros and more cons to being "first on your block" to have Win 10 installed.
True, like updating a iPhone to a newer version. Always better to wait. I will wait about a month before I update my computer to 10.

·
Legend
1,222 Posts
yosoyellobo said:
What is wrong with a 1968 Rambler American?
Back when we had regular vehicles before those junky imports started showing up not very good of a reputation. But, now with those junky Toyotas, Mazdas, Nissans a Rambler would put all of those junky cars to shame. Been better if this country would is those imports would never been sold here.

·
Legend
1,222 Posts
jimmie57 said:
I cranked up my old Dell running Windows XP this morning. I do this every now and then just to see that it still works. It did after reseating the video card.
After the 3 updates that it had to load and install I did not get the Windows 10 free upgrade sign.
Of course this is what I expected.
If I had this option in my Dell Desktop for a free update I would decline because I HATE the menu system in Windows 7, 8.1. I would defiantly stay with XP.

My Dell desktop has Windows XP.

Now on my Acer touchscreen which came with Windows 8.1 I reserved Windows 10.

·
Legend
1,222 Posts
phrelin said:
I was looking forward to it. Now I'm not so sure...

I got an email tonight from Microsoft with the subject line "You've reserved Windows 10 - what's next?" it has this in it: "Here are some common questions about the upgrade process. Click on the links for answers." I clicked on all four links and they linked me to this:

I wonder if Satya Nadella got one of those emails.... :sure:
I had the same email. But, the web page displayed fine. There are about 15 questions with answers.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.

·
Legend
1,222 Posts
phrelin said:
For a trip down memory lane, ZDNet has a series of screenshots from Windows 1.0 through 10.0 which you can view unless, of course, Windows 10.0 starts installing and screws up.
The web page you have when clicking a n the address nothing happens. The web page is in blue but does not work.

·
Legend
1,222 Posts
mrknowitall526 said:
We have a small Acer laptop that we got free as a result of a class action lawsuit about floppy drives in eMachines brand computers being faulty, and it has been used very little because of Windows 8. Never even bothered to go to 8.1. I mentioned to my mother that we could get 10 for free and she said to give it a try. I booted it up last night and there were 111 updates to install. Restarted and there were another 6. Finally got it to start downloading 8.1 this afternoon and now it's installing that. Hopefully 8.1 to 10 goes a little faster.
Nothing wrong with Windows 8 or 8.1. Well, not near as good as Windows XP though.

·
Legend
1,222 Posts
Rich said:
BTW, I had no problems with the classic shell on my cobbled together desktop. It loaded right along with W10 and works just as well as it did before. Made me happy.

Rich
Same here. I like Classic Shell. Like your installation Classic Shell installed perfectly.

I wish there was someway to make the file directories look like Windows XP. Those directories looked much less complicated.

·
Legend
1,222 Posts
bobnielsen said:
I recently bought a cheap ($140 Amazon Prime deal of the day) Lenovo S21E-20 laptop with Windows 8.1. It only has a 20 GB SSD but had the icon for the Windows 10 upgrade. It downloaded the file and then said there wasn't enough room to install. I then tried installing from a USB thumb drive but that also failed. It said it was ~900 MB short but I hadn't added any apps or other files and didn't want to risk deleting something critical. I have used it a bit and 8.1 doesn't seem all that bad after all.
140.00 great price but not much use because of the tinsy winsy hard drive.

·
Legend
1,222 Posts
dpeters11 said:
The first large update to Windows 10, called "Threshold Wave 2" is expected around October or November. This will also happen in 2016 with Redstone in July/August and Redstone Wave 2 in a similar Oct/Nov timeframe.
What differences will this update make?

·
Legend
1,222 Posts
I saw that Windows 10 is supposed to have a setting for auto rotation in the settings. I do not see that setting. Could different downloads of Windows have this setting?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts