·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
Yo! M$, Don't be spammin' my TaskBar!!

I don't need your 10 thingy showing up.

·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
I think the description of the patch by rugk on the eset Security Forum is accurate: It's "an adware/PUA/PUS/PUP for Windows 10 upgrade." But to reiterate, we haven't seen any examples of the advertising. We don't know what the final behavior of this patch will be -- it could be as innocuous as an occasional balloon notification that a free upgrade to Windows 10 awaits or as obnoxious as the botched "not genuine" screen blackouts. This is the plumbing, laid well in advance of Windows 10's availability.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2907472/operating-systems/windows-10-upgrade-nagware-patch-kb-3035583-now-marked-important-on-some-win7-pcs.html

·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Per Microsoft - "There's no obligation and you can cancel your reservation at any time.
Yeah. Sure. And I got a bridge over the Everglades for you .. cheap.

After you reserve, we will "download" Windows 10 to your device when it's available. Then we will notify you when your device is ready to "install" the upgrade".
I don't want them downloading anything first, then telling me about it.

That said, one can choose whether to "install" Windows 10 or not.
For the time being. But will it install itself later sometime when they decide they no longer want to give you the choice?

I have NO intention of going to 10 for at least a year, maybe two.

·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Per Microsoft - You have between 29 July 15 - 29 July 16 to take advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10......That said, you are free to wait at least a year, maybe two but if you do you will be paying full price for Windows 10.
Not a problem since I really don't intend to do it at all. Might be the next time I buy a PC if I can't find one with 7 on it.

·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
dpeters11 said:
Even worse, it is actually possible to disable the brakes in some cars remotely. Not just from another car nearby, but from another city. That is truly terrifying.
Security experts hack into moving car and seize control
Reuters - ‎1 hour ago‎

SAN FRANCISCO, July 21 A pair of veteran cybersecurity researchers have shown they can use the Internet to turn off a car's engine as it drives, sharply escalating the stakes in the debate about the safety of increasingly connected cars and trucks.

http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/07/21/autos-hacking-idINL1N1011QN20150721

·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
jimmie57 said:
Are there any alternatives to Windows Media Center?
If you need the PVR (personal video recorder) features in Windows Media Center, then Media Portal is one alternative. If you just want a simple video player, I like MPC-HC (Media Player Classic - Home Cinema), but VLC will do the job. All three are open source and free.
MP has a channel guide and supports tuners? The others do not? I had VLP, but it was a long time ago.

I also have the player/tuner/guide/PVR that came with my Hauppage USB tuner stick, but it's fairly clumsy.

·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
dpeters11 said:
People hated Windows 7 at the beginning (particularly moving from XP).
As I recall, people liked 7 and were relieved they could finally upgrade from lower systems. I do remember there were some glitches with requirements and some older PCs were not capable of handling it.

Reactions: hdtvfan0001

·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
^^ I had one set-up where we had four screens using one mouse and KB running 7 or 8 programs at once. Mission critical too.

That was XP Pro before 7 came out.

·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
^^ That's because 8 was panned so bad and nobody wanted it. They capitulated, reconfigured it and called it 8.1, which was really 9, which may be why there's no 9 and they jumped to 10.

·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
For those that got the Nag Icon via the KB mentioned before, are you seeing "GWXConfigManager.exe" running from time to time?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts