DBSTalk Forum banner
241 - 260 of 1135 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,675 Posts
phrelin said:
And so it begins Windows 10 Automatic Updates Start Causing Problems.

The problem described in this Forbes piece is similar to the problem I had with that simple notification email. In this case, if you were a tester of the Windows 10 build process, my guess is they didn't send and install files piecemeal over a period of weeks. So literally this process has not been tested on, say, a random 1 million beta testers. So of course this will happen. It's not a surprise to me because in the process of trying to get my one computer to be compatible I simply could not get a driver to work on the video because it needed some older version intermediate software running to control the hardware and driver. That computer cannot be upgraded to Windows 10 because they want a different driver that can't be controlled by the old software and the new software won't work on the old card.

I am pretty sure our two Surface Pro 2's and the 2015 Intel Computer Stick will have no problem with the update. Since I have the old desktop dual booting with Win 7 and 8.1 my guess it will work. I'm not sure about the HP 2010 notebook which is running Win 7.

But the explanation in the article is somewhat disturbing:

What would have been perfect for me is to have had access to a Surface Pro 4 (or even a 3) built with Windows 10. Yeah, that's an expensive option but if I have any problems with our Pro 2's, like many here our "lives" are in those computers.

But I'm sure it will all go well. (That's me being totally out of character.)
I've got 3 Lenovo laptops. This doesn't sound good.

Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
Rich said:
I've got 3 Lenovo laptops. This doesn't sound good.

Rich
My laptop is a Lenovo. Some of the software on it is Lenovo controlled. I am going to try it anyway.

Reactions: Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
7,497 Posts
My first impression of Win 8 (thank god for virtual machines!) had me uninstalling it in about 60 minutes of "typical" use for me. My new Lenovo laptop (scratch and dent from their website - but seems ok) came with Win8.1 - Classic shell and booting to desktop have made it much more palatable to me (and yes I work support in a corporate environment). I'm going to let someone else play with Win10 first before I commit. I better not have to buy a new printer (HP DJ6940) .

·
Hall Of Fame
15,567 Posts
From Microsoft releases tool to hide or block unwanted Windows 10 updates we learn that a concession was made but you have to find it:

...But Microsoft does have a well-hidden troubleshooter package, KB3073930, which allows you to hide or block Windows Updates and, crucially, driver updates.

The package was digitally signed on June 15, and the accompanying Knowledge Base article is dated July 7, just a few weeks ago. The package is labeled for use with the Windows 10 Insider Preview, but based on its performance on the final (10240) preview build, it looks like it should work with the final release beginning July 29.
The article provides detailed information and screenshots on the package.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
I would only use that if you really know what you're doing. The worst thing unfortunately is if Joe User disables security updates just because he doesn't want Microsoft making any changes. Like I've said before, I've seen systems with no service packs, then complain when I have to have them download large updates to get something to work.

·
Super Moderator
53,899 Posts
dpeters11 said:
I would only use that if you really know what you're doing.
Exactly ... there have been updates to previous and current versions that needed to be rolled back and hidden due to unforeseen conflicts (testers can't catch everything). Permanently rejecting an update should be a rare event.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
Microsoft had a brain fart this morning and attempted to download Windows 10 on my PC. I had no idea they were doing this. I perform daily maintenance on my PC every morning using System Mechanic Professional and need to restart my PC after running the maintenance program. The restart caused the Windows 10 download to fail. Microsoft did give a heads up that when the time comes to download Windows 10 they would do so in the background but you would think they would have chosen to download Windows 10 in the wee hours like DIRECTV does when they download new software when usage is at a minimum.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Microsoft had a brain fart this morning and attempted to download Windows 10 on my PC. I had no idea they were doing this. I perform daily maintenance on my PC every morning using System Mechanic Professional and need to restart my PC after running the maintenance program. The restart caused the Windows 10 download to fail. Microsoft did give a heads up that when the time comes to download Windows 10 they would do so in the background but you would think they would have chosen to download Windows 10 in the wee hours like DIRECTV does when they download new software when usage is at a minimum.
They likely are using the BITS data channel (or equivalent) which can run all the time. There is so much data, it will run around the clock worldwide. :)

Peace,
Tom

·
Hall Of Fame
15,567 Posts

·
Legend
1,222 Posts
phrelin said:
For a trip down memory lane, ZDNet has a series of screenshots from Windows 1.0 through 10.0 which you can view unless, of course, Windows 10.0 starts installing and screws up.
The web page you have when clicking a n the address nothing happens. The web page is in blue but does not work.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.

·
Super Moderator
53,899 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Windows 10 download is complete on my PC and the upgrade is available. Now it's wait and see before installing.

Mine too ... I am being asked to schedule the install.

Azure Font Electric blue Display device Fence

Attachments

·
Hall Of Fame
9,690 Posts
I took the plunge on my desktop. Took about 35 minutes until login, then another 10 minutes to complete setup.

Desktop looks much the same with the Win7 look of the taskbar that I had, plus a few additions.

Explorer defaults to Edge, so I dug out a shortcut to IE while I try Edge and get things the way I like them.

A couple of desktop gadgets I had look funny or missing graphics, but that's no biggie.

Overall no major problems and really glad it did an update. I hate re-installing everything.

DirecTV2PC looks like it's finally gone. I'll play with some of the settings.

Seems faster / snappier.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #260 ·
dennisj00 said:
I took the plunge on my desktop. Took about 35 minutes until login, then another 10 minutes to complete setup.

Desktop looks much the same with the Win7 look of the taskbar that I had, plus a few additions.

Explorer defaults to Edge, so I dug out a shortcut to IE while I try Edge and get things the way I like them.

A couple of desktop gadgets I had look funny or missing graphics, but that's no biggie.

Overall no major problems and really glad it did an update. I hate re-installing everything.

DirecTV2PC looks like it's finally gone. I'll play with some of the settings.

Seems faster / snappier.
Which version?

241 - 260 of 1135 Posts