DBSTalk Forum banner
261 - 280 of 1135 Posts

·
Super Moderator
53,899 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Microsoft had a brain fart this morning and attempted to download Windows 10 on my PC.
I was having problems with Windows Update on Monday Night/Tuesday Morning. I purchased a reconditioned Win 7 Pro machine to replace an XP device that is wearing out. I powered it up and activated it Monday evening and ran the first set of Windows Updates to bring it up to current. The first set ran fine but when I attempted to run Windows Update again to catch the second wave Windows Update was not available. The error messages blamed Windows Firewall but there was nothing I could do to get the system to work. I thought the rebuilt computer was a dud ($65 through a reputable company). But I tried Windows Update again at 8am and everything is fine and up to speed.

It was either a problem at Windows Update or all of my bandwitdh was being consumed by my computer and my wife's computer downloading the final files for Windows 10. :) I have not checked her machine to see if it is "ready to install" like mine.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
I am installing Win 10 on my Lenovo laptop as I type this. It is at 9 percent complete. I will update after it gets finished. This is from my IPad. Holding off on my desktop for now to see how this goes. Fingers, toes, legs and other parts crossed !

Reactions: Rich

·
CE'er & Retired Engineer
2,592 Posts
Two good installs on my Surface Pro3 and my wife's Surface 3. Alas, not so great on my desktop Win 7. Everything looked good up until the last reboot when it just hung for well over an hour with the Windows logo and a spinning activity circle. I tried a Restart and it reinstalled Win 7 :shrug:

·
Premium Member
36,675 Posts
jimmie57 said:
I am installing Win 10 on my Lenovo laptop as I type this. It is at 9 percent complete. I will update after it gets finished. This is from my IPad. Holding off on my desktop for now to see how this goes. Fingers, toes, legs and other parts crossed !
I sure hope you're successful!

Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
Rich said:
I sure hope you're successful!

Rich
Hello, several things so far. This is a Lenovo laptop with Intel Pentium processor and Intel Graphics. Was running Win 7 Home 64 bit.
1. When I move the mouse to the Win 10 symbol in the lower left, it opens up with all kinds of stuff in it. I move the mouse and the window closes.
2. When I click on a shortcut to one of my Open Office spread sheets it closes instantly.
3. Click on the Edge button for the new browser, it opens right up and then promptly closes in a couple of seconds.
4. When I double click on my Internet Explorer 11 shortcut it says it is no longer available.
5. CCleaner said it was not compatible and promptly closed.
6. Malwarebytes ran and then updated
7. I see my Norton in the Control panel when I click on Programs and Features but I can not find it anywhere else.

During all of this my son needed his pain patch changed. He got too close to the table with his electric wheelchair and it twisted his swivel seat. I told him about it and he turned to see if and promptly fell out of the chair and between my legs. I grabbed him before he hit the floor but I busted open the back of my hand. Since I take Plavix I leaked everywhere while I got him up off the floor and back into his wheelchair.
Mercy ! I am too old to do stuff like this.

Then I decided, you know I always restart the PC after an update and my DTV receiver so I finally figured out how to do that. One of the things it told me after the restart was that Logitech's Set Point for my wireless mouse was not compatible and was not running. My wireless mouse is however working although I have not tried some of the special settings I used to use with it. I can live without it as long as it basically works,

Holey Moley, everything works now.
When I clicked on my Windows Live mail that I used it said it was installing it. I just knew that all my emails and settings were gone for sure. NOT. Yeah !
When I ran CCleaner there is a ton of temporary files.
When I ran the Registry part of it there is several pages of errors in there. I have not cleaned them out yet. I am waiting to see if I can find Norton and make sure it is running.

I will report more later after I click around in it for another couple of hours.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
dennisj00 said:
I tried posting a reply using Edge but it would not post. It let me type but just would not do anything when cIicked on Post.

This is a Lenovo laptop with Intel Pentium processor and Intel Graphics. Was running Win 7 Home 64 bit.

·
Registered
14,718 Posts
Do you have to reinstall all programs? I only really need Firefox with my settings and add ons, also need Chrome.

Do we lose files?

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
sigma1914 said:
Do you have to reinstall all programs? I only really need Firefox with my settings and add ons, also need Chrome.

Do we lose files?
So far the only thing I lost was Norton Internet Security.
Win 10 Uninstalled it. I did find that I could go and get it again ( is part of the Comcast huge fee we pay per month for internet ) and it is installing now.
This is the only program I have had to reinstall.
See my long post above.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
dpeters11 said:
For things like AV, I'd be careful to make sure it's Windows 10 compatible. General apps are one thing, AV ties into the OS differently. It may have been that the version you had wasn't compatible, but the new download is.
I don't think it was that.
It seems to me that they do not want anything except their program to be running.
I have it running now. A pop up just said there was a newer version. I just updated it so I am not sure this is correct. Will update.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
This is using the Advanced reply in Win 10 Edge.
The quote did not come with it.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
jimmie57 said:
This is using the Advanced reply in Win 10 Edge.
The quote did not come with it.
OK, I clicked on Quote to the above entry and got nothing.
Just for the heck of it I we back to the post I wanted to Quote and clicked Quote again. It popped u with the second click of it.
Strange

And then Edge Froze up.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
I am probably overlooking it but Edge does not have a Home page.
I set my Yahoo Finance Portfolio as the Start Page. It works.
Click around on the net and then can not get home except using the back button for possibly many clicks.
They have a Home button you can activate but for some reason it will not take you to the Custom Start page you set up.

·
Premium Member
11,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
jimmie57 said:
I am probably overlooking it but Edge does not have a Home page.
I set my Yahoo Finance Portfolio as the Start Page. It works.
Click around on the net and then can not get home except using the back button for possibly many clicks.
They have a Home button you can activate but for some reason it will not take you to the Custom Start page you set up.
It appears you're experiencing "Cutting Edge" Windows 10 style.

261 - 280 of 1135 Posts