421 - 440 of 1135 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts

·
Registered
23,065 Posts
dpeters11 said:
To be honest, the average person never went to a new version of Windows unless they got a new PC. And that includes Vista to 7 I think.
There are reportedly 1.25 billion Windows users world-wide, the majority of them still on 7 and XP. When XP security updates ended, my guess is Redmond never expected more folks to upgrade to 7 rather than jump to 8. IMO, making 10 "free" is probably the way they hope to suck Win 7 mouse/keyboard users into a Windows ecosystem they're hoping will be competitive with iTunes and Google Play.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
yosoyellobo said:
I guess we are not average people. Hopefully we are above.
Look at it this way, many of us are hanging around a board answering people's questions about a service (whether Dish or DirecTV) that we know more about on the technical side than the average CSR that they pay.

Nope, not average at all :)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,893 Posts
Here's my ongoing Win10 story...
I received the free upgrade notification weeks ago.
Two weeks ago, the day before vacation, our PC would not boot. Boot Bar filled 3/4 then stopped.
Bah! Going on vacation...power down

Back from vacation and working the issue.
When trying to boot from my SSD, I get "BOOTMGR missing ctl-alt-del to restart". Evidently something happened.
When I installed the SSD, I used Paragon Migrate OS to SSD software to copy the old drive to the SSD. Since the old Win 7 boot files were still on the old hard drive, I was able to boot to it.
Now the oddities. Windows reports its not genuine and won't let me fix it. The SSD doesn't show in Explorer. I had to go into diskmgmt and assign it a letter.
Still won't boot - same BOOTMGR issue. Tried a Macrium backup image restore to the SSD. Worked, but same BOOTMGR issue.
Thought to myself, "I'll just do a clean install of Win10!" I figured I had already received the notification so I was OK. D/l'ed the Win10 iso.

Nope. Can't update if it appears there's no valid Win 7 present.

So, I can't update, I don't have a Win 7 iso to re-install, Dell won't talk to me since I'm out of warranty.

Any ideas?

·
Hall Of Fame
9,690 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,893 Posts
I have no install disk. OEM PCs don't come with them. I tried to get Dell to provide one but they don't support the model PC anymore and were no help - unless I wanted to purchase Win 7 outright for $119. I can't download the iso (legally) either since I have an OEM copy.

Some articles/forums I've visited said if I could borrow a Win 7 install disk I could probably use my OEM product key to re-install. Just need to find someone with one.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
dmspen said:
I have no install disk. OEM PCs don't come with them. I tried to get Dell to provide one but they don't support the model PC anymore and were no help - unless I wanted to purchase Win 7 outright for $119. I can't download the iso (legally) either since I have an OEM copy.

Some articles/forums I've visited said if I could borrow a Win 7 install disk I could probably use my OEM product key to re-install. Just need to find someone with one.
I am pretty sure it has to be a Dell OEM disc for you to use it.
Have you looked on Ebay ? In years past I have bought several models to use for backups for old machines I had purchased on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Windows-7-32-64-bit-versions-Reinstall-dvd-/221853407074?hash=item33a77e5762

·
Registered
23,065 Posts
dmspen said:

How about here?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

·
Premium Member
36,675 Posts
dmspen said:
Two weeks ago, the day before vacation, our PC would not boot. Boot Bar filled 3/4 then stopped.

When trying to boot from my SSD, I get "BOOTMGR missing ctl-alt-del to restart". Evidently something happened.
When I installed the SSD, I used Paragon Migrate OS to SSD software to copy the old drive to the SSD. Since the old Win 7 boot files were still on the old hard drive, I was able to boot to it.
Now the oddities. Windows reports its not genuine and won't let me fix it. The SSD doesn't show in Explorer. I had to go into diskmgmt and assign it a letter.
Still won't boot - same BOOTMGR issue. Tried a Macrium backup image restore to the SSD. Worked, but same BOOTMGR issue.
Thought to myself, "I'll just do a clean install of Win10!" I figured I had already received the notification so I was OK. D/l'ed the Win10 iso.

So, I can't update, I don't have a Win 7 iso to re-install, Dell won't talk to me since I'm out of warranty.

Any ideas?
Other than the fact that I'm still scared to update my Lenovo laptop, no. But you should be able to buy a valid W7 or W8 disc and use that, no?

Changing OSs always scares me. My desktop took the upgrade cleanly, but I don't use it all that much and don't want to lose my laptop.

Rich

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Rich said:
Other than the fact that I'm still scared to update my Lenovo laptop, no. But you should be able to buy a valid W7 or W8 disc and use that, no?

Changing OSs always scares me. My desktop took the upgrade cleanly, but I don't use it all that much and don't want to lose my laptop.

Rich
What I would suggest is that you buy another Laptop HD the same size as the current one (example) 1TB get another 1TB - Order one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G6TG5YE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00- Remove the orginial HD - put both drives into the Device (Standalone) and it will clone your orginial drive perfect.

Then Install the new Cloned drive into the Laptop boot it up and upgrade it to Win10 - Should it fail - No loss as you still have the orginial HD ready to pop back in. If you are good to go after that - Remove the nOW upgraded drive and clone it over your old one (NOW) you have a complete Hot Swap backup you can go to anytime (reclone it every 6 months or so to stay current.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
WestDC said:
What I would suggest is that you buy another Laptop HD the same size as the current one (example) 1TB get another 1TB - Order one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G6TG5YE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00- Remove the orginial HD - put both drives into the Device (Standalone) and it will clone your orginial drive perfect.

Then Install the new Cloned drive into the Laptop boot it up and upgrade it to Win10 - Should it fail - No loss as you still have the orginial HD ready to pop back in. If you are good to go after that - Remove the nOW upgraded drive and clone it over your old one (NOW) you have a complete Hot Swap backup you can go to anytime (reclone it every 6 months or so to stay current.
Yupper!

The other approach I've taken several times, is to buy a new SSD and do clean installs onto the new drive, using the old drive to copy back the profile info I might want.

It was much easier when Microsoft supported the migration wizard, but is still possible. Thankfully chrome, firefox, and other main apps will let me sync to the cloud anyway. Other apps don't need as much or any carryover from one place to another.

Clean installs can be tricky without the OEM disk--but is possible. One way is to copy the recovery portions of the original disk to the new disk and then do some "repair" work to build a new system.

Peace,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
To clarify, I did clean installs of windows 7 or 8 then upgraded. I haven't tried a clean install to 10 yet on a system that has been upgraded.

Peace,
Tom

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
dmspen said:

Any ideas?
Dell has a boot Save config Sector on your Dell Hard drive - That's why you don't have the orginial Copy of Windows (unless) you called during the time of warrenty and they would have sent them to you (U HAD TO ASK FOR IT) - When going back to the boot config on your dell it will revert to the day it was created - Losing everything except the operating system and soft ware you ordered at the time.

To boot it Restart the PC When you see the dell logo Press F10 and it should give you a warning about turning back the software clock. and losing your data files (not the win7) - The F key may be different SO I suggest if F10 doesn't do it - Start with F1 and go one at a time.

If you take the drive out and put it in a usb Dock and connect it to another PC you will see how it is sectored off - That's why dell after 2010 stopped sending oem disks out (cost cutting Shipping) and they can get you back to square one if a problem comes up. Forgot to add you can also go here http://en.community.dell.com/?~ck=mn

And Get user help on your Dell product model and finding the correct F key to get you OPS back

Hope these helps you

·
Hall Of Fame
15,567 Posts
While fooling around with my Intel Computer Stick I discovered this Microsoft website Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool which explains the following:

The media creation tool can be used to upgrade your current PC to Windows 10 or to create a USB or DVD and install Windows 10 on a different PC.

Here's a quick look at the steps to get Windows 10 installed on your PC using this tool.
This allowed me to create an "install disk" on a USB drive by following the instructions. Why this option was not available or not given publicity right before the rollout is beyond me.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
WestDC said:
Dell has a boot Save config Sector on your Dell Hard drive - That's why you don't have the orginial Copy of Windows (unless) you called during the time of warrenty and they would have sent them to you (U HAD TO ASK FOR IT) - When going back to the boot config on your dell it will revert to the day it was created - Losing everything except the operating system and soft ware you ordered at the time.

To boot it Restart the PC When you see the dell logo Press F10 and it should give you a warning about turning back the software clock. and losing your data files (not the win7) - The F key may be different SO I suggest if F10 doesn't do it - Start with F1 and go one at a time.

If you take the drive out and put it in a usb Dock and connect it to another PC you will see how it is sectored off - That's why dell after 2010 stopped sending oem disks out (cost cutting Shipping) and they can get you back to square one if a problem comes up. Forgot to add you can also go here http://en.community.dell.com/?~ck=mn

And Get user help on your Dell product model and finding the correct F key to get you OPS back

Hope these helps you
The HP and Toshiba laptops I have (and others I've used in the past) have let me create restoration disks from the recovery partition(s). Did Dell do that too?

Peace,
Tom

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
Rich said:

Rich
You have 30 days to Roll the installation back to it's original OS.
My son updated his Laptop and his Alien Aurora to Win 10. He plays games on the Alien and for some reason he did not like it. He rolled it back without any problems.
If you think you might do that I do NOT think you should run CCleaner and get rid of all the Temporary files.

After you update to Win 10 if you look in your file tree you will see Windows and then another folder titled Windows.Old.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,735 Posts
Yup I successfully rolled back my laptop to 8.1. With 10, there was nothing to click on in the login screen except wifi, accessibility or shut down... If my wifi was on. If I booted up with the wifi switch "off" I could then see the username and password fields. I even updated to the latest Intel centrino driver since it seemed related to wifi. What good was the system if you can't log in, so rolling it back was pretty much flawless.

My desktop on the other hand took the upgrade from 8.1 no issue at all. In fact, it seems to run faster than ever which is great considering it's an older machine.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
cypherx said:
Yup I successfully rolled back my laptop to 8.1. With 10, there was nothing to click on in the login screen except wifi, accessibility or shut down... If my wifi was on. If I booted up with the wifi switch "off" I could then see the username and password fields. I even updated to the latest Intel centrino driver since it seemed related to wifi. What good was the system if you can't log in, so rolling it back was pretty much flawless.

My desktop on the other hand took the upgrade from 8.1 no issue at all. In fact, it seems to run faster than ever which is great considering it's an older machine.
When my laptop cranks up there is no login screen, just a picture and the WiFi sign and something else in the lower right hand side of the screen.
If I click the mouse anywhere on the picture or the WiFi symbol the Login screen pops up for me to sign in.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Tom Robertson said:
The HP and Toshiba laptops I have (and others I've used in the past) have let me create restoration disks from the recovery partition(s). Did Dell do that too?

Peace,
Tom
If they did -they have kept it a secret from me :) Correction -Yes they do offer when you use dell backup software for the first time you can create it on a usb drive, or DVD -then back up your PC once and only once unless you pay ransom to buy Dell Backup Cloud service - Don't but it and you only get one back up of your data :) I don't buy the cloud service of anything - I'm not gonna to pay to let someone else fram my info while I pay for them to do it.

421 - 440 of 1135 Posts