DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1120 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a notification from Microsoft that the free upgrade to Windows 10 will be coming soon. This will be a 3GB full version, not a trial. For those who applied for the free upgrade it will automatically downloaded to your PC and can be installed at the user's convenience.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
If there is a "catch" I believe the free upgrade is supposed to be for the life of the machine. Still, the fact that they are doing this for both Windows 7 and 8.x is good. The offer is good for the first year.

Keep in mind, even after it's released, there are things that still won't be ready. Edge won't have a system for extensions at launch for example. That will be released later.

I'm using the Insider program on a system I use daily. These higher builds work very well.

·
Premium Member
11,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Per Microsoft: The upgrade will be available starting 29 July 15. You have until 29 July 16 to take advantage of this offer. You can get a free upgrade for each of your eligible Windows devices. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device. It is not a trial or introductory version. When you upgrade, you'll stay on like-to-like editions of Windows. Example: If you are currently running Windows Professional you will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
Though if anyone actually uses WIndows 7 Starter or Home Basic, they'll essentially get an upgrade in edition to Home. Home Premium to Home, but that's not actually a downgrade in edition.

Windows 8 users must be on 8.1 to upgrade.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
I'm generally recommending upgrading in the first year, particularly for those with 8.1. Windows 7, I'd probably still suggest it, though as long as systems are off it by end of year 2019, I'm good :)

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Scott, if Win 10 is the startup speed of 8.1 and the UI of windows 7, I'll be fairly happy. :)

Peace,
Tom

Reactions: krel

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,478 Posts
Tom Robertson said:
Scott, if Win 10 is the startup speed of 8.1 and the UI of windows 7, I'll be fairly happy. :)
That would be a decided (and very much welcome) departure for Microsoft. I'm not sure I would have chosen the Windows 7 UI though.

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts
Yeah I think windows won't be charging for OS anymore as long as you stay up to date. I see no reason not to go windows 10 and then ride the free updates here on out. So end of July. That's when I'll also do some major house cleaning for my computer.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,478 Posts
The point of Windows 10 is that new feature and functionality will be offered when they get around to them without the pressure of having to deliver with the next Windows version.

I still think it would be nifty to have WinFS.

I can't imagine how Cortana is going to expand my computer experience. Then again, I don't see the value of using a computer to run phone apps unless our goal is to do away with personal computers altogether.

The point of upgrading should be uniquely to get better performance. Microsoft clearly doesn't understand that.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
dpeters11 said:
If there is a "catch" I believe the free upgrade is supposed to be for the life of the machine. Still, the fact that they are doing this for both Windows 7 and 8.x is good. The offer is good for the first year.

Keep in mind, even after it's released, there are things that still won't be ready. Edge won't have a system for extensions at launch for example. That will be released later.

I'm using the Insider program on a system I use daily. These higher builds work very well.
OK, in clear layman's language, should I keep 8.1 and the skin that allows me to use 8.1 as System 7 or should I take the leap and go for 10? I have absolutely no idea what to do about this. I was gonna PM you and ask you the same question but I think it's better to do it on the open forum. Right now, I'm absolutely happy with my computers. But I'm curious about 10.

Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
3,243 Posts
Rich said:
OK, in clear layman's language, should I keep 8.1 and the skin that allows me to use 8.1 as System 7 or should I take the leap and go for 10? I have absolutely no idea what to do about this. I was gonna PM you and ask you the same question but I think it's better to do it on the open forum. Right now, I'm absolutely happy with my computers. But I'm curious about 10.

Rich
I too am happy with Win 8.1. I will probably plunge for the free Win 10 upgrade but not until much later this year. I also have a Win 7 laptop that I will upgrade and probably do that much sooner than changing my desktop computer.

·
Premium Member
25,276 Posts
Rich said:

Rich
Plunge from what I have seen. Seems to be close to win7 but some nice upgrades keep on some of the good features that win8.1 has. That's the theory anyway... I used the test version for a few days months ago and seemed pretty good to me to get around.

·
Premium Member
11,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
harsh said:
The point of Windows 10 is that new feature and functionality will be offered when they get around to them without the pressure of having to deliver with the next Windows version.

I still think it would be nifty to have WinFS.

I can't imagine how Cortana is going to expand my computer experience. Then again, I don't see the value of using a computer to run phone apps unless our goal is to do away with personal computers altogether.

The point of upgrading should be uniquely to get better performance. Microsoft clearly doesn't understand that.
Cortana is not available in all markets.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
Rich said:

Rich
My advice is get rid of Start8 or Classic Shell and go to Windows 10. It will default to a start menu.

This page has screenshots of an older version, and is about how to manually switch, but it has screenshots that show what both look like. The Windows 10 start menu isn't the same as Windows 7.

http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-tip-swap-between-start-menu-and-start-screen

1 - 20 of 1120 Posts