DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Scott, if Win 10 is the startup speed of 8.1 and the UI of windows 7, I'll be fairly happy. :)

Peace,
Tom

Reactions: krel

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
There should be a program in C:|windows\system32\GWX that might give you the toolbar icon. Conveniently named, GWX.exe. :)

I had to do that on one computer.

Peace,
Tom

Reactions: Steve

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
NR4P said:
I am running W8.1.
So I think I am all set but is there a particular version of W10 that I would get?
Yes, depending on which 8.1 you are running: Student, Home, Ultimate, yada will translate into one of two (three?) similar versions of Windows 10.

Peace,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
NR4P said:
Looks like I will get W10 Home. Not crazy about auto updates being mandatory. Wish I had the Pro edition as I read those updates can be deferred if desired.

Have to think about jumping on this.
I wouldn't be surprised if there is a registry setting to turn that off.

Peace,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Don "gonna try and take one for the team" Bolton, you might find Win10 isn't a problem. I didn't see Windows 8 slow anything down, in fact it does some things faster--it boots faster and makes me curse Microsoft UI designers faster. :)

Peace,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
SayWhat? said:
Yeah. Sure. And I got a bridge over the Everglades for you .. cheap.

I don't want them downloading anything first, then telling me about it.

For the time being. But will it install itself later sometime when they decide they no longer want to give you the choice?

I have NO intention of going to 10 for at least a year, maybe two.
Then disconnect your computer from the network, unplug the power cord, and wait it out for a year, maybe two. Your computer will be safe from both the Windows 10 virus as well as all other known viruses. :)

Peace,
Tom

Reactions: MysteryMan and Rich

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
dpeters11 said:
It will not just upgrade itself. I've seen an odd amount of negative comments regarding 10. I have a friend that is somehow upset that their adding a virtual desktop function and new window snapping options and keyboard shortcuts. I just told him, if you don't like virtual desktops, don't use them. The APIs have been there for years, it's just that an extra download is no longer needed.
Exactly! I don't like some of the WIndows 8 "charms" popping up--so I turn them off. Problem solved. Move on and have fun. :)

New snapping options could be good. I find some of the current ones very helpful to me.

Peace,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
dpeters11 said:
Absolutely nothing. They aren't exactly rolling this out worldwide to everyone day one. I think the only ones to actually get it on the 29th are Insiders.
Actually I think the insiders also get it in groups, the "fast lane" will be getting it the moment it goes gold, slow lane will get it a day or two before the 29th. The first reserved copies will go out on the 29th, presuming the plan stays as scheduled.

Manufacturers will get the gold copy roughly at the same time as the insiders, if I recall correctly. (And the smart ones have been working with copies all along, of course.) :)

Peace,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
The whole WIndows 8 concept was hugely flawed in trying to equate the 3.5" 800x600 pixel screen experience with a 40" 4k UHD screen experience. They are never going to be the same environment.

And completely ignored, don't ask me how they blew it so badly, how people actually work in corporate environments. When working in a call center everyone had 4 or more windows open simultaneously--all positioned to be available for cut/paste, phone control, customer support, notepad, etc. Swapping screens was not productive.

Peace,
Tom

Reactions: FHSPSU67

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Microsoft had a brain fart this morning and attempted to download Windows 10 on my PC. I had no idea they were doing this. I perform daily maintenance on my PC every morning using System Mechanic Professional and need to restart my PC after running the maintenance program. The restart caused the Windows 10 download to fail. Microsoft did give a heads up that when the time comes to download Windows 10 they would do so in the background but you would think they would have chosen to download Windows 10 in the wee hours like DIRECTV does when they download new software when usage is at a minimum.
They likely are using the BITS data channel (or equivalent) which can run all the time. There is so much data, it will run around the clock worldwide. :)

Peace,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Laptop #2 done. This was an in place upgrade rather than a complete rebuild. Still need to finish the driver upgrades, the synaptics touchpad still seems a bit problematic.

The good news is ATI isn't complaining anymore. :)

Peace,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
WestDC said:
What I would suggest is that you buy another Laptop HD the same size as the current one (example) 1TB get another 1TB - Order one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G6TG5YE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00- Remove the orginial HD - put both drives into the Device (Standalone) and it will clone your orginial drive perfect.

Then Install the new Cloned drive into the Laptop boot it up and upgrade it to Win10 - Should it fail - No loss as you still have the orginial HD ready to pop back in. If you are good to go after that - Remove the nOW upgraded drive and clone it over your old one (NOW) you have a complete Hot Swap backup you can go to anytime (reclone it every 6 months or so to stay current.
Yupper!

The other approach I've taken several times, is to buy a new SSD and do clean installs onto the new drive, using the old drive to copy back the profile info I might want.

It was much easier when Microsoft supported the migration wizard, but is still possible. Thankfully chrome, firefox, and other main apps will let me sync to the cloud anyway. Other apps don't need as much or any carryover from one place to another.

Clean installs can be tricky without the OEM disk--but is possible. One way is to copy the recovery portions of the original disk to the new disk and then do some "repair" work to build a new system.

Peace,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
To clarify, I did clean installs of windows 7 or 8 then upgraded. I haven't tried a clean install to 10 yet on a system that has been upgraded.

Peace,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
WestDC said:
Dell has a boot Save config Sector on your Dell Hard drive - That's why you don't have the orginial Copy of Windows (unless) you called during the time of warrenty and they would have sent them to you (U HAD TO ASK FOR IT) - When going back to the boot config on your dell it will revert to the day it was created - Losing everything except the operating system and soft ware you ordered at the time.

To boot it Restart the PC When you see the dell logo Press F10 and it should give you a warning about turning back the software clock. and losing your data files (not the win7) - The F key may be different SO I suggest if F10 doesn't do it - Start with F1 and go one at a time.

If you take the drive out and put it in a usb Dock and connect it to another PC you will see how it is sectored off - That's why dell after 2010 stopped sending oem disks out (cost cutting Shipping) and they can get you back to square one if a problem comes up. Forgot to add you can also go here http://en.community.dell.com/?~ck=mn

And Get user help on your Dell product model and finding the correct F key to get you OPS back

Hope these helps you
The HP and Toshiba laptops I have (and others I've used in the past) have let me create restoration disks from the recovery partition(s). Did Dell do that too?

Peace,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Mark Holtz said:
Is there anything that Paint Shop Pro can do that Paint.net can't do? Just asking...
Yes, there are a few things that can't be done in Paint.net that can be done in Paintshoppro... (snarky comment) and yet they are still easier to do in Paint.net than paintshop... ;)

Peace,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
SeaBeagle said:
I do not know what "he" is asking about but, I know what she is asking about. I hate male dominated places.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.
Until our society finds and generally adopts a gender neutral set of pronouns (yes, I am aware some have been suggested, none generally adopted), as you know, the default is the male set for unknown predicates.

Helping us out with a gender indicator in username, avatar, or signature would go along way to us knowing you are a her and not an unknown.

We're all for using the correct pronoun, but there needs to be some way for us to know...

Fair 'nuff?

Peace,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
SeaBeagle said:
that is because when in other forums guys instead of answering questions from women ask them personal information and things like that.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.
Umm.... So all conversations would be:
SeaBeagle: Comment, yada, yada
Person A: SeaBeagle, before I respond, I need to know, are you male, female, or prefer another pronoun set?
SeaBeagle: Thanks for asking, female.
Person A: Thanks. now I can respond to your original post....
She said her stuff yada, yada, yada,

Or using Inkahauts:
inkahauts: I'm in favor of this, that, and da other.
Person B: inky, be ye dude or dudette?
inkahauts: can't you tell?
Person B: No
Person C: No
inkahauts: Dude
Person D: No (he or she was late to the game...)
Person B: Cool, now what was the comment?
Is that how it goes on other forums? I've never seen it, but I suppose it could happen. :)

Still think it would be simpler to put a gender identifying item in the name, the avatar, or signature.

Peace,
Tom

1 - 19 of 19 Posts