DBSTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1123 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,634 Posts
dpeters11 said:
If there is a "catch" I believe the free upgrade is supposed to be for the life of the machine. Still, the fact that they are doing this for both Windows 7 and 8.x is good. The offer is good for the first year.

Keep in mind, even after it's released, there are things that still won't be ready. Edge won't have a system for extensions at launch for example. That will be released later.

I'm using the Insider program on a system I use daily. These higher builds work very well.
OK, in clear layman's language, should I keep 8.1 and the skin that allows me to use 8.1 as System 7 or should I take the leap and go for 10? I have absolutely no idea what to do about this. I was gonna PM you and ask you the same question but I think it's better to do it on the open forum. Right now, I'm absolutely happy with my computers. But I'm curious about 10.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,634 Posts
mrknowitall526 said:
I can't stand the whole flat/simple graphics look. all of the screen shots of seen of Windows 10 have the UI of what looks like Windows 3.1, especially the titles of windows.

Computers are getting more advanced than ever, especially with graphics, why do we keep going backwards in the graphics area??
That bothers me too. I've been using the Shell since I got 8.1. I never use the 8.1 interface...never. Not once since I installed the Shell.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,634 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,634 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Sony has issued a warning that there is a risk of software/driver corruption and are advising not to install Windows 10 until after their investigation this summer. Sony is currently having issues with Gracenote not working with their products.
I'm gonna wait til the dust settles. Last week my wonky desktop about drove me nuts (not a long drive). I don't want to go thru anything like that again for a while.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,634 Posts
AntAltMike said:
Actually, it didn't start displaying that message until I swapped some hard drives between computers, but it isn't inhibiting me from doing anything. My hunch is that the computer came with a Vista operating system, so either the previous owner did an unauthorized upgrade, or, once I switched drives, there was some detection that took place as the drive with the legal Windows 7 might interact with the BIOS on power-up

One thing that pisses me off is that several years ago, when I bought a laptop from Best Buy, I paid an extra $300 to upgrade to whatever Microsoft calls its premium business package, and when that computer bit the dust two months later and I got rid of it, Microsoft won't let me use that same upgrade disk for my current computer because the $300 was a discounted price that attached to use with that computer only. Maybe there is a way to work around that restriction but I don't have the time to screw with it, since it just isn't that important to me.
They can be a real PITA to deal with. My wife went to Seattle to work with them concerning a license agreement between MS and her company. They gave her lots of goodies (it was a multi-million dollar deal) and one of them was a package containing the whole latest MS Office suite. The deal never went thru and they won't recognize the Office code number now. Sour grapes.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,634 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
Best advice so far.

It's for this very reason that rushing to upgrade is not prudent for most folks - you have a year.

The biggest hiccups early on will likely come from shortcomings of drivers for various hardware, including printers, monitors, cameras, video cams, etc. Individual companies will be updating their drivers over time...but only a limited number will have Win 10 supported day one.

Another consideration is the change to Windows Edge (from Internet Explorer earlier versions). For those using Chrome or something else...there still may be some "hiccups" in the beginning days or weeks after Win 10 is available (end of this month).

Bottom line...few pros and more cons to being "first on your block" to have Win 10 installed.
Yup, and factoring in my lack of luck... I'll be waiting for someone to tell me it's safe.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,634 Posts
KyL416 said:
That could be a problem if they used an OEM activation, computers designed for Vista usually have SLIC 2.0 while Windows 7 requires SLIC 2.1, while Windows 8 abandoned SLIC in favor of MSDM where the product key for the specific edition that came with your computer is embedded in the BIOS.

Also there can be problems if you swap hard drives between manufacturers. (i.e. take a Windows OEM installation from a Dell PC and put the hard drive in an HP PC)
I read your posts and all I can think of is how ignorant I am. My own fault for just using computers instead of learning how they work.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,634 Posts
dpeters11 said:
Fortunately, I think at least the majority of software and hardware that works on 8 will work on 10, except for the few systems that were incompatible with 8.1. On that side, it's not as big of a change as going from XP to Vista.

I know that there were AMD driver issues during the preview, but they worked those out a while ago. Of course not all companies do that.

I think third party antivirus will be a potential issue until there are updates for it.
This makes me feel a lot better about the whole thing. Best part is, I don't use my computers for anything other than as portals to the Net. I'll still wait until someone (like you) tells me to go ahead and do it.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,634 Posts
MysteryMan said:
I use System Mechanic Professional. Back in May they had a survey asking if you were going to upgrade to Windows 10. A few days ago I received a message stating they will be upgrading the current version to a new one that will be compatible with Windows 10.
I am so out of my depth here. Just looked that up. I didn't know programs like that existed.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,634 Posts
phrelin said:
Waiting is wise.

Also, you don't need to have learned "how they work."

I did that in 1970 and continued that learning process ... and continued that learning process ... and continued that learning process.... It wasn't and isn't like learning to adjust to an automatic transmission in a car. It's like the auto mechanic who started working on cars in 1970 and by the 2000's had to adjust to the electronics to fix a car - uncomfortable and frequently mystifying.

Windows 10 is the final step in a decade-long process. The reality is that us old-timers (I'm over 70 and relate to the time of and characters on "Halt and Catch Fire") are not going to give up our "desktop computer feel" for day-to-day chores. We bought Surface Pro 2's running Windows 8.1 as soon as they became available and set them up to look and feel like desktop computers.

We knew we couldn't reject the "device-with-apps-reality" that my granddaughter's generation grew up with, are comfortable with, and depend upon. I'm embracing them just as the business community will have to. We had to find a way to slide from the traditional clunky desktop (bad word, it's under the desk) to the tablet model.

Enterprises will need to leave the 20th Century by 2020 and Microsoft has been struggling to get them to do it. The struggle is with IT folks who have allowed themselves to become too comfortable with what they know.

If you still have enterprise software that is Windows-based but won't run on Windows 10 and you're defending that, welcome to the exit door. You've rejected the entire Millennial Generation even though Microsoft gave you a decade to adjust.

For the rest of us non-enterprise individuals, the tablet model was created by Steve Jobs at Apple and embraced by all of us fools as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Why do I say "fools" you may ask? Because it incorporates the American "throw away" habit. You don't fix it, you replace it. You don't swap hard drives because there are no spinning hard drives in a Surface, iPad nor any other tablet. You don't keep data on hard drives, you keep it in the cloud. You keep your gmail on Google's computers, not your computer.

Sure, we can continue to have a "tower" computer - I still have one near my desk. But that is not the 2015 computer model because there aren't computers or even software, but rather devices and apps.

I'm having a problem with the idea of keeping my data in a cloud, which really means someone else's computer with spinning hard drives which I can only access through the internet. My problem is the anxiety that arises when I remember that networks are mostly of the "ethernet" variety. I remember that...

Using that idea of luminiferous ether disproven in the 19th Century as a whimsical naming choice was a good one. So is "The Cloud" a good choice. Neither has a true form, both can "blow away" in the slightest wind. But that's my habitual "old guy" thinking.

There is not enough nagging Luddite in me that I haven't started eliminating paper copies of records I have in PDF format. But storing any new creations only in "the cloud" just doesn't cut it for me. So there are nice spinning hard drives connected to our Surface Pro 2's.

I am contemplating using that free cloud space provided by Microsoft for backup of documents if I can get over the fear of having personal information being stored there. Why I worry about that I don't know since almost every new document is created on or downloaded from a computer connected to the internet and everything from the details of my finances to my medical records are on the internet. But I have these anxieties....

Windows 10 isn't the "must have" operating system. It is the "must be" operating system, the system that reflects what "must be" in 2015.

Windows 7 or, worse yet, Windows XT are so 20th Century. They operate on hardware that likely takes up more space than a large frying pan or even a toilet, can't really be carried around conveniently, are designed for hard drives not the cloud. Stick with it and you'll soon be getting a puzzled look from 30-year-old people wondering why you would want to drive as your primary car a 1968 Rambler American.

Oh, and I'm the guy who still has a couple of his original Tandy Model II's and Model 100's.
Great post!

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,634 Posts
jimmie57 said:
I cranked up my old Dell running Windows XP this morning. I do this every now and then just to see that it still works. It did after reseating the video card.
After the 3 updates that it had to load and install I did not get the Windows 10 free upgrade sign.
Of course this is what I expected.
Yeah, they stopped supporting XP a while ago. I tried to fix a friend's computer and it was running XP. I got a message saying that XP was no longer supported.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,634 Posts
jimmie57 said:
Did that earlier but did them again just now.
I don't think I will have a problem. Most if not all of my programs have been sending updates that say this update is to run with Windows 10.
My MAIN program is Open Office and it says it is ready. Other than that it is the internet for me.
I'm pretty much like you. But I'm still gonna wait for awhile and see how this shakes out.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,634 Posts
jimmie57 said:
It must be hard to live as you and not like anything or anybody.
I worked with a guy like that and played ball with him on two teams. One day, while we were in a secluded place, I asked him why he was so obnoxious to most people (I managed those two teams, so if he wanted to play instead of sitting on the bench he had to be relatively nice to me). He certainly wasn't dumb, was very religious and well spoken and a very good mechanic. Seemed like he just didn't like people in general and wouldn't take the time to get to know them. Good family man, just didn't want to be bothered with people in general. Still don't have any idea why he was the way he was, he had no real explanation for it. On the ballfield he was accepted as a good teammate and treated the guys on the teams in a very pleasant way. Strange people abound.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,634 Posts
billsharpe said:
Win 10 is a FREE upgrade, which is a first for Microsoft operating systems. If you don't want it, fine, but quit griping about it. Anyone that unhappy with Microsoft should switch to Macintosh, Android, or Linux.

Frankly I'm looking forward to the upgrade but definitely not on the 29th.
I don't think we can even begin to imagine what that day is gonna be like.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,634 Posts
dpeters11 said:
Absolutely nothing. They aren't exactly rolling this out worldwide to everyone day one. I think the only ones to actually get it on the 29th are Insiders.
You are just a wellspring of information on this subject. We all really ought to thank you for your thoughtful posts!

Thanx.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,634 Posts
dpeters11 said:
I like gadgets and such, but even I think it's starting to get a bit much. I have an Internet connected thermostat, that can make some sense. You can get an Internet connected crockpot. That makes less sense.

There also are lightbulbs that had security vulnerabilities.

Even worse, it is actually possible to disable the brakes in some cars remotely. Not just from another car nearby, but from another city. That is truly terrifying.
I thought about that Net connected thermostat and nixed that idea quickly.

Car dealers can actually put in a device that completely disables a car. Don't pay your car payments and the car stops working. How that's legal is beyond me.

Yeah, I agree, too much, too quickly. Gets to be a bit too much.

Rich

1 - 20 of 1123 Posts