DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I run reg System Mech (without) the Virus protection as I get NORTON (FREE) LOL! included with the price of my ISP (comcast) so I use it. Asfar as windows 10 - All my win7 PC's are offering to upgrade now (with the flagg notice) however - There may some driver issue's as always in the begining -and with Windows media center DOA in Win10 - I'll wait and use win7 till the end of it's life and thing should have been worked out by that time for 10 as they will be pushing Win14 by then.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I upgraded all my. Xp machines to Win7 pro when support for xp ended.
14 year old Dell 11 year old dell laptop & 12 year old desk top. No could stuff for me usb 1.5 disk drive for storage.
That will last for my lifetime.
Smart phone for email text and such.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Rich said:
Other than the fact that I'm still scared to update my Lenovo laptop, no. But you should be able to buy a valid W7 or W8 disc and use that, no?

Changing OSs always scares me. My desktop took the upgrade cleanly, but I don't use it all that much and don't want to lose my laptop.

Rich
What I would suggest is that you buy another Laptop HD the same size as the current one (example) 1TB get another 1TB - Order one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G6TG5YE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00- Remove the orginial HD - put both drives into the Device (Standalone) and it will clone your orginial drive perfect.

Then Install the new Cloned drive into the Laptop boot it up and upgrade it to Win10 - Should it fail - No loss as you still have the orginial HD ready to pop back in. If you are good to go after that - Remove the nOW upgraded drive and clone it over your old one (NOW) you have a complete Hot Swap backup you can go to anytime (reclone it every 6 months or so to stay current.

Reactions: Tom Robertson

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
dmspen said:
Here's my ongoing Win10 story...
I received the free upgrade notification weeks ago.
Two weeks ago, the day before vacation, our PC would not boot. Boot Bar filled 3/4 then stopped.
Bah! Going on vacation...power down

Back from vacation and working the issue.
When trying to boot from my SSD, I get "BOOTMGR missing ctl-alt-del to restart". Evidently something happened.
When I installed the SSD, I used Paragon Migrate OS to SSD software to copy the old drive to the SSD. Since the old Win 7 boot files were still on the old hard drive, I was able to boot to it.
Now the oddities. Windows reports its not genuine and won't let me fix it. The SSD doesn't show in Explorer. I had to go into diskmgmt and assign it a letter.
Still won't boot - same BOOTMGR issue. Tried a Macrium backup image restore to the SSD. Worked, but same BOOTMGR issue.
Thought to myself, "I'll just do a clean install of Win10!" I figured I had already received the notification so I was OK. D/l'ed the Win10 iso.

Nope. Can't update if it appears there's no valid Win 7 present.

So, I can't update, I don't have a Win 7 iso to re-install, Dell won't talk to me since I'm out of warranty.

Any ideas?
Dell has a boot Save config Sector on your Dell Hard drive - That's why you don't have the orginial Copy of Windows (unless) you called during the time of warrenty and they would have sent them to you (U HAD TO ASK FOR IT) - When going back to the boot config on your dell it will revert to the day it was created - Losing everything except the operating system and soft ware you ordered at the time.

To boot it Restart the PC When you see the dell logo Press F10 and it should give you a warning about turning back the software clock. and losing your data files (not the win7) - The F key may be different SO I suggest if F10 doesn't do it - Start with F1 and go one at a time.

If you take the drive out and put it in a usb Dock and connect it to another PC you will see how it is sectored off - That's why dell after 2010 stopped sending oem disks out (cost cutting Shipping) and they can get you back to square one if a problem comes up. Forgot to add you can also go here http://en.community.dell.com/?~ck=mn

And Get user help on your Dell product model and finding the correct F key to get you OPS back

Hope these helps you

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Tom Robertson said:
The HP and Toshiba laptops I have (and others I've used in the past) have let me create restoration disks from the recovery partition(s). Did Dell do that too?

Peace,
Tom
If they did -they have kept it a secret from me :) Correction -Yes they do offer when you use dell backup software for the first time you can create it on a usb drive, or DVD -then back up your PC once and only once unless you pay ransom to buy Dell Backup Cloud service - Don't but it and you only get one back up of your data :) I don't buy the cloud service of anything - I'm not gonna to pay to let someone else fram my info while I pay for them to do it.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
trh said:
I was listening to Leo Laporte this weekend and he mentioned (actually it turned into a rant), that Microsoft is going to 'force' Windows 10 installation onto computers when they get their automatic Windows updates (I think he said they were moving Windows 10 from an Optional Update to a Recommended Update). Although he likes Windows 10, he mentioned that there are a number of people who consciously haven't upgraded because of software or hardware they have/use that are not Windows 10 compatible.
Yes -He is correct -That will start later this year -as far as having a machine running WIN7 that will NOT happen on any box that they processor or hardware will NOT support windows 10 - just as you can not force a windows 10 upgrade on any PC that hardware will not support it.

Those affected are folks running WIN-7 -Win-8-Win-8.1 - for business and are running Software that win10 will not support - That's what he is really yelling about-. MS may or may not Force upgrades that's still not firm yet. WIN-7 Support (updates) ends 2020

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Rich said:
Huh! I've had to go in and manually get updates for many months, this one came in automatically. What changed, the Anniversary update?

Rich
I was having to do that on machine I have as well - What I found is that is running Win10 Pro - the other 2 Win10 Machine's I have We upgraded from Win 8.1 to Windows Home(not by Choice) that's just what they got - I get updates on those - the win pro machine gets updates on a different schedule. - The other 2 got the updates yesterday my win pro machine says "No updates" are their you are up to date?

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Well, my problems just keep coming.
First I downloaded and installed the latest release on my desktop and had zero problems.

Then I tried it on my laptop that keeps telling me that the last 2 releases failed. yep, it failed also. Then I did some reading and it showed to uninstall the updates back to the December release and then install the latest one. Tried that with the same results. It shows in Programs and Features with the name but not a date installed.

Then I tried it on my older Intel Pentium dual core laptop. Last time it took a couple of times but it did install it. Not this time. This time it downloaded and started the install process. About 3 minutes into it and my screen went black. I let it run for over 2 hours like that before pressing the power button to turn it off. When I turned it back on a window popped up and said it was going into Automatic Recovery mode. 2-1/2 hours later it said it failed. I tried reinstalling windows 10 from a media disc I had created but it failed. Said it could not do that since the pc did not boot windows from the hard drive.
I then tried an old Recovery disc I had made in 2011 after I had the machine for a couple of months. It said it found errors on the disc and would repair them. 19 hours later it said to exit to windows 10. Then it said it failed.
Then I chose to reimage the machine from the backup discs I made in 2011. That was a success.
Do you know how many updates in 7 years. Holey Moley. 210 updates. When those finished and I checked again it now needed 31 updates. Then those updates needed 17 updates. Then again 32 updates. YEAH, it finished and no updates.
This whole process took nearly 3 days to complete. Mercy. I am leaving it on Windows 7 for now

I also read that the April release is supposed to fix all of my problems. Keeping my fingers crossed.
I had the same issue -KB4088776- on 2 win10 machines that would fail the update - I contacted MS (failed update) support is free - What they did was download (link to my PC) win10 "media" -when Complete (right click -open with file explorer) Select setup - it will reload win10 keeping everything - when you reboot after that -run the window update and it will complete.

I called about one machine and then did the same fix on the other myself.

GO to MS Support and get your issue resolved.

Reactions: MysteryMan

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
2020-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 Build: 18363.900 (KB4560960) has been released. Moderate time needed for those wishing to perform a manual download/install/restart. Quality improvements only. No new operating system features.
as always thank you for the heads up

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Before anyone takes You tube information --they would be better to wonder How the person -who is making a claim by video --what hardware and software they are using -that caused those issue's before taking any advice -to compare ---Your updating Win 10 -- and a lot of folks run it on a lot of junk hardware and outdated app's --I'd rather have the patches and take chances as I've done since win3 --with no issue's --that MS didn't correct on the second try

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
You might Notice that MS is selling a $3400 Surface --that currently won't run win 11

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
none of my current dell's can pass the upgrade test --so I'll be hanging onto win10 --till the support end date -one is a 2010 laptop the other 2 are 2015 desktops

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
My wife's Microsoft Service Pro is only 3 years old and it's not compatible with Windows 11 which is the reason I bought her a new laptop for her birthday. I've read where a lot of people who have PC's that are 5 years old or newer aren't compatible with Windows 11. Personally, I'm not impressed with Windows 11. Cortana is gone and the Start Menu is now in the middle of the screen.
I get the This PC does NOT TPM 2.0 and my Intel i7 Chipset is not supported --However -having had WINXP when win7 was newly released --Those PC's would not upgrade --after 5 years of win7 release and win8 --all of sudden I could upgrade WINXP to win7 --I feel after some time my PC's will be able to get to win11 either by upgrade or the land fill :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 17 Posts