DBSTalk Forum banner
181 - 200 of 1127 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
SayWhat? said:
Not a problem since I really don't intend to do it at all. Might be the next time I buy a PC if I can't find one with 7 on it.
The end of sales date for consumer PC's was last year. Professional is still available but I think that is mainly on the business lines. Particularly if you're a few years out to get a new PC, no one is going to be selling systems with 7.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
dpeters11 said:
The end of sales date for consumer PC's was last year. Professional is still available but I think that is mainly on the business lines. Particularly if you're a few years out to get a new PC, no one is going to be selling systems with 7.
Office Depot has lots of models of PCs with Windows 7 on them and some that have Windows 8.1 that can revert to 7.
http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/desktop-computers/N=5+592157&cbxRefine=685618/

http://www.officedepot.com/a/browse/laptops/N=5+592158&cbxRefine=685618/

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
Looks like most of those are the business lines that was the exception I mentioned, as they have Pro. To downgrade, you must have 8.1 Pro. But I doubt 2-3 years from now they still will be as we get closer to 2019.

Some are refurbished with Home, which would be exempt from the 2014 deadline, as they are originally from prior to it.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,010 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Then we will notify you when your device is ready to "install" the upgrade". That said, one can choose whether to "install" Windows 10 or not.
These promises coming from a company that considers patches that nag about upgrading or otherwise harm the user experience to be classed as important updates.

I stopped believing what Microsoft says about updates when they started pointing to non-existent web pages in lieu of making it clear what their Patch Tuesday patches did. It used to be that if you clicked on a patch in Windows Update, there was a description of what it was intended to accomplish expressed in a single paragraph. Now you get boilerplate and a 404 error.

But wait! If you subscribe to MSDN for an additional annual fee, they'll let you in on what's going on.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
harsh said:
These promises coming from a company that considers patches that nag about upgrading or otherwise harm the user experience to be classed as important updates.

I stopped believing what Microsoft says about updates when they started pointing to non-existent web pages in lieu of making it clear what their Patch Tuesday patches did. It used to be that if you clicked on a patch in Windows Update, there was a description of what it was intended to accomplish expressed in a single paragraph. Now you get boilerplate and a 404 error.

But wait! If you subscribe to MSDN for an additional annual fee, they'll let you in on what's going on.
It must be hard to live as you and not like anything or anybody.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
harsh said:

I deep dive into each patch every month and read the details they publish. The articles are on the Technet subdomain, but require no subscription. Now, one thing that does irritate me is that you used to be able to get pre-release notifications, you do now have to be a Premier customer for those. Those never gave details for obvious reasons, but at least you'd know in advance what was going to be coming out.

·
Registered
36,655 Posts
jimmie57 said:
It must be hard to live as you and not like anything or anybody.
I worked with a guy like that and played ball with him on two teams. One day, while we were in a secluded place, I asked him why he was so obnoxious to most people (I managed those two teams, so if he wanted to play instead of sitting on the bench he had to be relatively nice to me). He certainly wasn't dumb, was very religious and well spoken and a very good mechanic. Seemed like he just didn't like people in general and wouldn't take the time to get to know them. Good family man, just didn't want to be bothered with people in general. Still don't have any idea why he was the way he was, he had no real explanation for it. On the ballfield he was accepted as a good teammate and treated the guys on the teams in a very pleasant way. Strange people abound.

Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
3,245 Posts
Win 10 is a FREE upgrade, which is a first for Microsoft operating systems. If you don't want it, fine, but quit griping about it. Anyone that unhappy with Microsoft should switch to Macintosh, Android, or Linux.

Frankly I'm looking forward to the upgrade but definitely not on the 29th.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,566 Posts
I was looking forward to it. Now I'm not so sure...

I got an email tonight from Microsoft with the subject line "You've reserved Windows 10 - what's next?" it has this in it: "Here are some common questions about the upgrade process. Click on the links for answers." I clicked on all four links and they linked me to this:

I wonder if Satya Nadella got one of those emails.... :sure:

·
Premium Member
11,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
phrelin said:

I got an email tonight from Microsoft with the subject line "You've reserved Windows 10 - what's next?" it has this in it: "Here are some common questions about the upgrade process. Click on the links for answers." I clicked on all four links and they linked me to this:

Try again. I received the same email. When I click on the first three selections it takes you to the "Windows 10 Q & A" page which you can find by right clicking the Microsoft icon on your task bar. The last selection takes you to the Microsoft Windows 10 "Specification" page.

·
Registered
36,655 Posts
billsharpe said:
Win 10 is a FREE upgrade, which is a first for Microsoft operating systems. If you don't want it, fine, but quit griping about it. Anyone that unhappy with Microsoft should switch to Macintosh, Android, or Linux.

Frankly I'm looking forward to the upgrade but definitely not on the 29th.
I don't think we can even begin to imagine what that day is gonna be like.

Rich

·
Legend
1,222 Posts
phrelin said:

I had the same email. But, the web page displayed fine. There are about 15 questions with answers.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.

·
Registered
36,655 Posts
dpeters11 said:
Absolutely nothing. They aren't exactly rolling this out worldwide to everyone day one. I think the only ones to actually get it on the 29th are Insiders.
You are just a wellspring of information on this subject. We all really ought to thank you for your thoughtful posts!

Thanx.

Rich

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
dpeters11 said:
Absolutely nothing. They aren't exactly rolling this out worldwide to everyone day one. I think the only ones to actually get it on the 29th are Insiders.
Actually I think the insiders also get it in groups, the "fast lane" will be getting it the moment it goes gold, slow lane will get it a day or two before the 29th. The first reserved copies will go out on the 29th, presuming the plan stays as scheduled.

Manufacturers will get the gold copy roughly at the same time as the insiders, if I recall correctly. (And the smart ones have been working with copies all along, of course.) :)

Peace,
Tom

·
Registered
313 Posts
billsharpe said:
I know how computers work. You push the power button and wait. And to turn them off you push the start button (doesn't seem intuitive).

I also know how electricity works. You push the wall button and the light comes on. You don't have to wait.
My hubby went to a friends brand new house. You push the wall button. The light took 20 seconds to come on. All the light buttons are tied to some embedded computer and it had to wake up. Geeze.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
Eva said:
My hubby went to a friends brand new house. You push the wall button. The light took 20 seconds to come on. All the light buttons are tied to some embedded computer and it had to wake up. Geeze.
I like gadgets and such, but even I think it's starting to get a bit much. I have an Internet connected thermostat, that can make some sense. You can get an Internet connected crockpot. That makes less sense.

There also are lightbulbs that had security vulnerabilities.

Even worse, it is actually possible to disable the brakes in some cars remotely. Not just from another car nearby, but from another city. That is truly terrifying.

·
Hall Of Fame
15,566 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Try again. I received the same email. When I click on the first three selections it takes you to the "Windows 10 Q & A" page which you can find by right clicking the Microsoft icon on your task bar. The last selection takes you to the Microsoft Windows 10 "Specification" page.
SeaBeagle said:
I had the same email. But, the web page displayed fine. There are about 15 questions with answers.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.
I tried it again today and got the same "the page you are requesting cannot be found" page. But since my default browser is Firefox, I pasted the links from the email into IE and got the properly linked pages but not before dismissing a repeating "script error would you like to debug" popup message.

Thinking about that, I then returned to Firefox and went to the Microsoft Store web page, signed out, and tried the links and they worked fine. The problem is we have a total of six computers that will be upgraded. So I've used six different email addresses for the initial notice, but none used the one we use for our Microsoft Account signin which account has meaningful personal data.

So again, I feel the need to take a moment to reflect on what they've set up for people like me who don't trust the "oh this will be easy" 70-gazillion-computers-all-in-the-same-minute-upgrade plan. Yeah, I'm being sarcastic, but even though I'm generally supportive of Microsoft, I'm in a trust-but-verify mode about this upgrade.

181 - 200 of 1127 Posts