DBSTalk Forum banner
481 - 500 of 1127 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,344 Posts
dmspen said:
Yes, all the obvious items have been tried. Some have had this issue with Stardock's Fences program. My next step is to uninstall Fences.
What version did you have? It looks like Fences Free and Pro are not compatible, you have to use Fences 2.
 

·
Old Guys Rule!
Joined
·
5,053 Posts
I'm having a strange problem onmy primary deesktop computer (which I'm using at the moment). When it wakes up after sleeping, Windows loses all wireless networks. At times, this also happens while the computer is running.. If I go into Device manager, I see that there is supposedly a driver problem with my TP-Link Archer T4U wireless dual band USB network adapter. Sometimes, if I disable/enable the adapter, it becomes recognized, but not connected. If I attempt to connect it, the taskbar icon goes from no connection available to available to connected and then back to unavailable. . If I restart the computer, it usually comes up connected. Although the adapter is USB 3.0 compatible, I've been using it on USB 2.

I've been using the 5 GHz radio on my DLink wireless AC router for my computers and Samsung Galaxy Tab4 tablet, and the 2.4 GHz radio for most other devices.

Interesstingly, my refurb Dell Optiplex 760 computer, running Windows 10 64 bit, has no problems connecting, using a Netgear dual band Wireless-N USB adapter.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
10,120 Posts
Cholly said:
I'm having a strange problem onmy primary deesktop computer (which I'm using at the moment). When it wakes up after sleeping, Windows loses all wireless networks. At times, this also happens while the computer is running.. If I go into Device manager, I see that there is supposedly a driver problem with my TP-Link Archer T4U wireless dual band USB network adapter. Sometimes, if I disable/enable the adapter, it becomes recognized, but not connected. If I attempt to connect it, the taskbar icon goes from no connection available to available to connected and then back to unavailable. . If I restart the computer, it usually comes up connected. Although the adapter is USB 3.0 compatible, I've been using it on USB 2.

I've been using the 5 GHz radio on my DLink wireless AC router for my computers and Samsung Galaxy Tab4 tablet, and the 2.4 GHz radio for most other devices.

Interesstingly, my refurb Dell Optiplex 760 computer, running Windows 10 64 bit, has no problems connecting, using a Netgear dual band Wireless-N USB adapter.
Have you tried to update the driver by choosing one already installed on your computer ? You know that one worked. It is possible Win 10 is choosing the wrong one. It used a Win 10 driver on my video driver and I had to change it to the Intel one on my machine that worked and had no problems with it since.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,492 Posts
dmspen said:
Yes, all the obvious items have been tried. Some have had this issue with Stardock's Fences program. My next step is to uninstall Fences.
You'll need Fences v2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,492 Posts
I having issues with Paint Shop Pro X6 (v16.2.0.20). It sometimes shutdown on startup. Win10 spotted this and did some adjustment and made it worst as PSPX6 still shutdown sometimes, but now it also is in slow saving files.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
15,566 Posts
Drucifer said:
I having issues with Paint Shop Pro X6 (v16.2.0.20). It sometimes shutdown on startup. Win10 spotted this and did some adjustment and made it worst as PSPX6 still shutdown sometimes, but now it also is in slow saving files.
I've upgraded to PSPX8 even though X7 seemed ok. I think that is going to be the price of the "free" Win upgrade - complex software will ultimately need to be upgraded.
 

·
Lifetime Achiever
Joined
·
21,332 Posts
Mark Holtz said:
Is there anything that Paint Shop Pro can do that Paint.net can't do? Just asking...
Yes, there are a few things that can't be done in Paint.net that can be done in Paintshoppro... (snarky comment) and yet they are still easier to do in Paint.net than paintshop... ;)

Peace,
Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,492 Posts
phrelin said:
I've upgraded to PSPX8 even though X7 seemed ok. I think that is going to be the price of the "free" Win upgrade - complex software will ultimately need to be upgraded.
Yeah, I upgrade every other version, but I'll wait for the sale upgrade price. Which should be $39.XX.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
dpeters11 said:
What version did you have? It looks like Fences Free and Pro are not compatible, you have to use Fences 2.
I was running Fences Pro version 2.13, the latest. Stardock has yet to acknowledge there is an issue. The ununstall and reboot resolved the problem.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jimmie57

·
New Texan
Joined
·
11,465 Posts
Well, I took several steps the past few days:
  • Went into the guts of Windows 10 and replaced Windows Notepad with the pointer file to Notepad++
  • Uninstalled VirtualBox pending Windows 10-compatible release
  • Removed the old install files, so now, the only way for me to go back is to use the Windows 7 image
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
My next possible Win 10 issue is the process Runtime Broker. I know it was an issue starting with Win 8. Some 'app' I have will cause Runtime Broker to consume up to 3+GB of memory and run the CPU up to 40+ percent. Evidently it's an application issue which will require some update. The problem, of course, is figuring out which app is causing the problem.


Now I've found MS Edge doing similar things (one instance anyway)

Anyone have words of wisdom for working out the offending apps, besides killing one process at a time and waiting hours to see if Runtime Broker ramps up?
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
10,120 Posts
dmspen said:
My next possible Win 10 issue is the process Runtime Broker. I know it was an issue starting with Win 8. Some 'app' I have will cause Runtime Broker to consume up to 3+GB of memory and run the CPU up to 40+ percent. Evidently it's an application issue which will require some update. The problem, of course, is figuring out which app is causing the problem.

Now I've found MS Edge doing similar things (one instance anyway)

Anyone have words of wisdom for working out the offending apps, besides killing one process at a time and waiting hours to see if Runtime Broker ramps up?
Wow, that is a lot.
FYI:
I have my Scottrade Elite Stock trading programming running on 2 screens with 9 charts , a watch list, my positions list and streaming news. All of this is live / real time numbers being received.
I also have IE11 running and Windows Live Mail and Open Office 4.1 with a Screen full of a spread sheet that is full of numbers.
My Runtime Broker just shows 7.9MB in memory. Nothing anywhere else.
Internet Explorer has my portfolio running with real time numbers updating and it is showing 307 MB in memory.

I do not have a clue as to what might be causing this to happen for you.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
10,120 Posts
dmspen said:
My next possible Win 10 issue is the process Runtime Broker. I know it was an issue starting with Win 8. Some 'app' I have will cause Runtime Broker to consume up to 3+GB of memory and run the CPU up to 40+ percent. Evidently it's an application issue which will require some update. The problem, of course, is figuring out which app is causing the problem.

Now I've found MS Edge doing similar things (one instance anyway)

Anyone have words of wisdom for working out the offending apps, besides killing one process at a time and waiting hours to see if Runtime Broker ramps up?
I have never looked at Runtime Broker when the following happens.
I have used a weather site, Weather Underground, that sometimes it hangs up and it pops up with a message about a Long Running Script and do I want to stop it. If I look at the memory usage of either Edge or IE11 it is steadily climbing and seems it would not stop until I ran out of memory.
I get the same thing when I am on Twitter and keep paging down.
The only way to get rid of it is to close the program and reload it.

The next time it does it on either of these I will check the Runtime Broker and see if it has went up also before I close the program and let you know what happens.

Edit / Update. I just used Twitter to screw up my memory and it went up to over 600 MB. The Runtime Broker only went up by 0.1 MB.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
10,120 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36,655 Posts
dpeters11 said:
I don't have the Z10, but my Y510p is similar, except I think in the graphics card. I've been using Windows 10 since the first Insider build came out.
Because of your post, I finally worked up the nerve to download the OS. Went perfectly, my thanx.

Rich
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
9,690 Posts
I continue to have weirdness on the desktop . . . icons that are shortcuts (not folders or text files) have a shortcut arrow in the left bottom corner that changes to a 'X' for a while . . . and then back to normal.

The same icons then have a green check mark in the lower right for a while and then back to normal.

What's up?
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,893 Posts
jimmie57 said:
I found this article about the Runtime Broker.
http://www.technorms.com/18510/running-ram-windows-8-runtime-broker-figure

After reading it, I opened the Weather app and then the Picture app and the number went up from the previous 7.9 MB to 10 MB.
According to the article it is definitely an app with faulty software code.
As I had read too, it seems some app is the culprit. The article says 'Metro' apps for Win 8, but for Win 10 I guess they would be Start Menu apps? I guess the only solution is wait until Runtime Broker ramps, kill it, kill one process/procram and see if Runtime kicks up high again. This overall proess should only take a few weeks!

FYI, it doesn't happen when my wife is logged in so may be a game...
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
10,120 Posts
dmspen said:
As I had read too, it seems some app is the culprit. The article says 'Metro' apps for Win 8, but for Win 10 I guess they would be Start Menu apps? I guess the only solution is wait until Runtime Broker ramps, kill it, kill one process/procram and see if Runtime kicks up high again. This overall proess should only take a few weeks!

FYI, it doesn't happen when my wife is logged in so may be a game...
Are any of the Apps you run setup to Autostart ?
If yes, you might disable that and start them individually and see which one causes the increase .
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,344 Posts
The first large update to Windows 10, called "Threshold Wave 2" is expected around October or November. This will also happen in 2016 with Redstone in July/August and Redstone Wave 2 in a similar Oct/Nov timeframe.
 
481 - 500 of 1127 Posts
Top