DBSTalk Forum banner
161 - 180 of 1132 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts

·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
I think the description of the patch by rugk on the eset Security Forum is accurate: It's "an adware/PUA/PUS/PUP for Windows 10 upgrade." But to reiterate, we haven't seen any examples of the advertising. We don't know what the final behavior of this patch will be -- it could be as innocuous as an occasional balloon notification that a free upgrade to Windows 10 awaits or as obnoxious as the botched "not genuine" screen blackouts. This is the plumbing, laid well in advance of Windows 10's availability.
http://www.infoworld.com/article/2907472/operating-systems/windows-10-upgrade-nagware-patch-kb-3035583-now-marked-important-on-some-win7-pcs.html

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
SeaBeagle said:
What does KB3035583 do?

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.
This is what Windows says about this update.

Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1

This update installs the Get Windows 10 app, which helps users understand their Windows 10 upgrade options and device readiness. For more information about Windows 10, see Windows 10.

This update applies to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Internet Explorer 11 (IE11). Before you install this update, check out the Prerequisites section.

Link to it:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
Personally I don't think there's anything nefarious. Windows 10 is free for the machine if you upgrade in the first year, and they want as many people to upgrade as possible. If it weren't for that tray icon, the normal people may never know about the offer.

At the end of the year, Windows 7 will have about two and a half years of extended support left. Some may get new systems in that time and get the new OS, but there will be a lot that will still be using the same one and keep Win7.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,411 Posts
dpeters11 said:
Personally I don't think there's anything nefarious. Windows 10 is free for the machine if you upgrade in the first year, and they want as many people to upgrade as possible.
There may be something nefarious lurking beneath the icon if you opt in. It is my understanding that once you opt in, Windows 10 will be installed and updated when Microsoft decides and there's little to nothing that you can do about it short of cutting off your Internet connection. On the consumer versions, all updates will be installed automatically (when the machine is judged by Microsoft to be "idle") and without the option to postpone.

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
harsh said:
There may be something nefarious lurking beneath the icon if you opt in. It is my understanding that once you opt in, Windows 10 will be installed and updated when Microsoft decides and there's little to nothing that you can do about it short of cutting off your Internet connection. On the consumer versions, all updates will be installed automatically (when the machine is judged by Microsoft to be "idle") and without the option to postpone.
Per Microsoft - "There's no obligation and you can cancel your reservation at any time. After you reserve, we will "download" Windows 10 to your device when it's available. Then we will notify you when your device is ready to "install" the upgrade". That said, one can choose whether to "install" Windows 10 or not.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Per Microsoft - "There's no obligation and you can cancel your reservation at any time. After you reserve, we will "download" Windows 10 to your device when it's available. Then we will notify you when your device is ready to "install" the upgrade". That said, one can choose whether to "install" Windows 10 or not.
I am going to load it on my Laptop and my Desktop as soon as it comes out. Later on it will also be available for my Windows phone. Then my 3 devices will all be on the same software.

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
jimmie57 said:
I am going to load it on my Laptop and my Desktop as soon as it comes out. Later on it will also be available for my Windows phone. Then my 3 devices will all be on the same software.
Read posts #105 and #111 before you install.

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Read posts #105 and #111 before you install.
Did that earlier but did them again just now.
I don't think I will have a problem. Most if not all of my programs have been sending updates that say this update is to run with Windows 10.
My MAIN program is Open Office and it says it is ready. Other than that it is the internet for me.

·
Premium Member
36,675 Posts
jimmie57 said:
Did that earlier but did them again just now.
I don't think I will have a problem. Most if not all of my programs have been sending updates that say this update is to run with Windows 10.
My MAIN program is Open Office and it says it is ready. Other than that it is the internet for me.
I'm pretty much like you. But I'm still gonna wait for awhile and see how this shakes out.

Rich

·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Per Microsoft - "There's no obligation and you can cancel your reservation at any time.
Yeah. Sure. And I got a bridge over the Everglades for you .. cheap.

After you reserve, we will "download" Windows 10 to your device when it's available. Then we will notify you when your device is ready to "install" the upgrade".
I don't want them downloading anything first, then telling me about it.

That said, one can choose whether to "install" Windows 10 or not.
For the time being. But will it install itself later sometime when they decide they no longer want to give you the choice?

I have NO intention of going to 10 for at least a year, maybe two.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
SayWhat? said:

For the time being. But will it install itself later sometime when they decide they no longer want to give you the choice?

Then disconnect your computer from the network, unplug the power cord, and wait it out for a year, maybe two. Your computer will be safe from both the Windows 10 virus as well as all other known viruses. :)

Peace,
Tom

·
Hall Of Fame
10,120 Posts
SayWhat? said:

I feel certain that you will have to click on OK or similar to do the Install, if not the Download also.
It gives you the option to cancel your reserved copy already.

Reactions: Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
It will not just upgrade itself. I've seen an odd amount of negative comments regarding 10. I have a friend that is somehow upset that their adding a virtual desktop function and new window snapping options and keyboard shortcuts. I just told him, if you don't like virtual desktops, don't use them. The APIs have been there for years, it's just that an extra download is no longer needed.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
dpeters11 said:
It will not just upgrade itself. I've seen an odd amount of negative comments regarding 10. I have a friend that is somehow upset that their adding a virtual desktop function and new window snapping options and keyboard shortcuts. I just told him, if you don't like virtual desktops, don't use them. The APIs have been there for years, it's just that an extra download is no longer needed.
Exactly! I don't like some of the WIndows 8 "charms" popping up--so I turn them off. Problem solved. Move on and have fun. :)

New snapping options could be good. I find some of the current ones very helpful to me.

Peace,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
SayWhat? said:

Per Microsoft - You have between 29 July 15 - 29 July 16 to take advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10......That said, you are free to wait at least a year, maybe two but if you do you will be paying full price for Windows 10.

·
Know Nothing
6,270 Posts
MysteryMan said:
Per Microsoft - You have between 29 July 15 - 29 July 16 to take advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10......That said, you are free to wait at least a year, maybe two but if you do you will be paying full price for Windows 10.
Not a problem since I really don't intend to do it at all. Might be the next time I buy a PC if I can't find one with 7 on it.

161 - 180 of 1132 Posts