1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Hall Of Fame
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kevin F said:
It's an intriguing OS. I've been testing it since the early beta days. But it just screams at you wanting a touch screen in my opinion.

Kevin
That I agree with

· Legend
1,188 Posts
I was all set to install on the computer that I use for iTunes to sync both my iPad and iPhone. But Windows 8 scans for compatibility and one thing that is recommended is that I deautherize iTunes and there were a few other conflicts. So I decided against Windows 8.
On my other computer I had a message about Windows 8 not downloaded after I started the download after receiving the product key.

I do have one more computer that I do not care what the results will be after I stalling Winfiws 8.

· Registered
3,752 Posts
I'm going to wait until it's RTM and then I'll download and try it before I buy. Not sure if I'm going to like it. And as far as touch controls-I'm NOT sitting in front of my 47" HDTV to control my computer lol If they eventually do away with the mouse and go touch only, that will be a MAJOR problem!

· Registered
31,115 Posts
After seeing a direct demo at CES for WIN8 this year, and reviewing the video I kept of it just this past week....I have to say that WIN8 is highly underwhelming.

It's a dumbed down UI that adds no innovative nor new significant end user capbabilties, other than it will work on a WIN8-enabled tablet with hand gestures. It's the "Vista" of mobile OS versions.

It's also at least a year or more behind the latest Android and iOS operating system versions in terms of features. Pretty much the way Engadget saw it too.

WOO HOO.

· Hall Of Fame
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
njblackberry said:
Going to put it on a Samsung tablet in the morning.
Which Samsung tablet are you going to be using and how ?

· Hall Of Fame
6,087 Posts
I'm downloading the iso for the 32-bit and will give it a whirl in VMWare on my iMac. Something to do I suppose... :)

· Icon
655 Posts
naijai said:
Which Samsung tablet are you going to be using and how ?
It is the Samsung Series 9 tablet (model XE700T1A-A03). 128GB SSD and 4GB RAM (neither user upgradable). Similar to the model they gave out at BUILD, but the consumer version (no TPM which means no BitLocker)...

I installed it today (wiped out the hard drive and started fresh). Needed a couple of Intel drivers, and there is no Accelerometer driver available today (which means enjoy landscape orientation).

It's better (more stable/faster) than the Developer Preview. I am not sold on this "two UI" concept (Metro for cool, pretty, shiny apps, the Windows 7-ish UI for work) but it is what it is.

No serious problems found.

· Hall Of Fame
6,087 Posts
lparsons21 said:
I'm downloading the iso for the 32-bit and will give it a whirl in VMWare on my iMac. Something to do I suppose... :)
Well, that was a waste of time!! :(

Wouldn't install, got a HAL error and died, locked up the VM too.

· Hall Of Fame
6,087 Posts
I'm a version behind on VMWare, so maybe the latest version would do fine.

In the meantime, I stuck it on my Acer laptop. First impression is I don't like it! But I'll play around some more, maybe it will grow on me.

· Hall Of Fame
6,087 Posts
Well after an evening playing around with it, I'm more glad than ever that I'm basically a Mac fanboi!! :)

It installed and runs fine on my Acer Core i3-370M laptop w/4GB ram, but the UI is horrible for a desktop OS. Might work fine on a tablet though. I used to have an HP Touchsmart desktop and found that while touch works on a desktop, it isn't of much value for most apps, and in fact is very frustrating because the touch accuracy just isn't good enough for the desktop app icons and such. The few touch apps that came with that were a mixed bag, some great (recipe app), most just ho-hum.

First issue with Win8 was trying to figure out how the hell to shut it down! 2nd and biggest issue was how to not use the Metro UI! The first was easy enough, the second can't be done as far as I can see.

The simplicity of the metro UI reminds me of MS Bob... :)

· Hall Of Fame
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok playing with it
Better than the developer preview, if i ever get a tablet to install it on then i'm sure i'll enjoy the full benefit of the Metro interface like i do on my phone (HD7)
I like the Mail & XBOX live integration on the desktop along with the XBOX companion
The swap back and forth from the Metro interface and regular desktop is still iffy for me.
More testing and how i wish that ASUS would release a 64 bit ACPI compatible firmware. My desktop locks up everytime it enters sleep or Hibernation

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.