DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I downloaded the ISOs today at work. Now, to give this release preview a try. ISOs here.

If the release preview is anything like the consumer preview, the biggest turn-off will be the Metro UI interface and the loss of the Start button. Why, Microsoft, WHY?

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
Mark Holtz said:
Well, I downloaded the ISOs today at work. Now, to give this release preview a try. ISOs here.

If the release preview is anything like the consumer preview, the biggest turn-off will be the Metro UI interface and the loss of the Start button. Why, Microsoft, WHY?
That pretty much sums things up.

Saw the preview at CES, and not one of the hundreds of people there at the Microsoft booth was impressed. The metro UI is so incredibly dumbed down, it is likely going to get alot of negative reviews.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
HDJulie said:
Can you turn off the Metro interface?
There is a software setup "switch" to support either the Metro or "Classic" WIN7 UI look.

The main driver for WIN8 is for mobile device support...mostly tablets. However, the Metro UI will be considered "the dafualt UI" when installed.That is what Microsoft explained and promoted at their huge CES booth back in January.

·
1 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
There is a software setup "switch" to support either the Metro or "Classic" WIN7 UI look.

The main driver for WIN8 is for mobile device support...mostly tablets. However, the Metro UI will be considered "the dafualt UI" when installed.That is what Microsoft explained and promoted at their huge CES booth back in January.
Does anyone know how to turn off the Metro UI? In the developer preview release there were a couple of ways (a registry hack and a DLL you could rename) neither of which seem to be present in the Release Preview.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
NeilLamka said:
Does anyone know how to turn off the Metro UI? In the developer preview release there were a couple of ways (a registry hack and a DLL you could rename) neither of which seem to be present in the Release Preview.
Sorry...while I did see them switch it at the CES demo...I didn't see how they did it.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,140 Posts

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I did sort-of find a start menu in the Tetris interface. Just hover into the upper-right corner, right-click, and select "All Apps". Or, go to the left corner, then select "Search".

To me, Windows 8 seems to be faster and speedier, but the Brick UI is the killer.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,891 Posts
I've been an MS fanboi since my first Win 3.1 PC experience.

Win 8 though has made me take a serious look at going a different route with our next computing platform.

The daughter has a MacBook Pro and its pretty nifty. I don't know much about Macs and the OS, so maybe it's time to branch out.

·
Hall Of Fame
4,724 Posts
There is NO way corporate IT departments will ever rollout this crappy GUI.

Unless MS changes, Apple's just been provided a huge bow-tied gift.

The other alternative, of course, is an open source OS.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
Right, and I hate it even more as a server GUI. The cynic in me sees a possibility of the old UI or something like it in Windows 9, but only in the Enterprise edition for companies that have SA.

We're just moving our clients to Windows 7.

·
Icon
883 Posts
wilbur_the_goose said:
There is NO way corporate IT departments will ever rollout this crappy GUI.

Unless MS changes, Apple's just been provided a huge bow-tied gift.

The other alternative, of course, is an open source OS.
Corporate IT never rolled out Vista & that didn't seem to hurt MS. Where I work we are just now rolling out Windows 7 so unless there's no new release of Windows other than Windows 8 over the next 10 years, then my company would skip it anyway. And this is the same reason my company would never go to Apple -- it costs too much to certify the apps on the new or upgraded OS so we do it only when absolutely necessary & then add a couple of years to that. Plus, Apple has the additional drawback of requiring very specific hardware that is not "cheap".

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.