DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 2 receivers that are way off from the wireless router. I have a powerline adapter but my streaming is very intermittent - they are in the same circuit.

I am thinking of using wireless adapter ($25) from Dish. I have a dual band N router and would like to use 5.2ghz band.

Is wireless adapter faster than powerline (I have a download speed of 20mb/s)? Can the wireless adapter recognize 5.2ghz band?

597 Posts
In my experience, I've had better results with the powerline adapter. The wifi adapter (Netgear WNDA3100v2) does support 2.4 and 5ghz bands (according to http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10652)

The powerline connector is also better because you can connect multiple receivers to it instead of having to get a wifi adapter for each receiver. Are you getting buffering when trying to stream a movie?

· DaBears
5,992 Posts
You might want to look into getting something like a wrt54g and installing dd-wrt on it to turn it into a wireless repeater. It's cheap and expands your wireless network. G is fast enough for streaming easily.

· AllStar
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am getting a lot of buffering while streaming. So much so, that it stops playing to buffer every few seconds.

I have not been able to watch single movie/tv program (like Spartacus) without this problem.

I will try both suggestions, but my download speed in another very similar external wireless adapter (D-Link DWA-160) using 5.2Ghz N band is 21.5Mbps.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,619 Posts
ssmark said:
I will try both suggestions, but my download speed in another very similar external wireless adapter (D-Link DWA-160) using 5.2Ghz N band is 21.5Mbps.
Average speed and minimum speed are two decidedly different things. Minimum speed is what is important to VOD.

As Matt points out, if you go wireless, you'll have to buy an adapter for each device. With HomePlug, you only need to buy an adapter for your router and you don't risk other wireless devices grabbing big chunks of bandwidth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.