DBSTalk Forum banner

Wireless connections for HR20-700

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Indiana627 
#1 ·
Hi:

Newbie, first post. I've seen older posts on this but wondered if there was more up to date recommendations for a wireless adapter that I can plug in to my HR20-700: 0x0251.

Someone had posted a link to the Linksys Wireless-G (WGA54G). Is there something newer and better or will that do just fantastic?

thanks in advance. I've been lurking for quite some time so it was time for me to post!!

-Brian LoCicero
HR20-700 running to an old stylee Samsung 55" rear-projection 480i, s-video
HR20-700 - Westinghouse 42", HDMI, 1080i
HR20-100 - Westinghouse 47", HDMI, 1080i

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies! Much appreciated. I'll be making purchases this weekend and checking it out.

#5 ·
Jason Perlow said:
I use a Wireless-N game adapter from Linksys, which communicates at 270Mbps to my Wireless-N router. Works very well, even through several walls and two floors.
Are you using 2.4MHz or 5Mhz Wireless-N? I tried the WGA600N using 5Mhz but the signal strength was unacceptable and DOD kept returning errors. It was significantly better at 2.4MHz but I ended up returning it and going with the DirecTV powerline kit which is working nicely.

#6 ·
drewba said:
Are you using 2.4MHz or 5Mhz Wireless-N? I tried the WGA600N using 5Mhz but the signal strength was unacceptable and DOD kept returning errors. It was significantly better at 2.4MHz but I ended up returning it and going with the DirecTV powerline kit which is working nicely.
How much are the powerline kits? My account is suspended right now while I move so it won't show me the prices when I log into my D* account.

And if I read the instructions right, I would need 3 powerline kits: 1 for the router, 1 for HR20, and 1 for HR21. Is this correct?

And do they have to be plugged directly into a wall outlet, or can I plug them into a UPS?

Thanks.

#8 ·
Indiana627 said:
How much are the powerline kits? My account is suspended right now while I move so it won't show me the prices when I log into my D* account.

And if I read the instructions right, I would need 3 powerline kits: 1 for the router, 1 for HR20, and 1 for HR21. Is this correct?

And do they have to be plugged directly into a wall outlet, or can I plug them into a UPS?

Thanks.
The standard adapter that plugs into the wall is $24.99 including shipping. There is also a version that is integrated into a surge protector for $54.99.

You would need a combination of three of these powerline units for the HR20, HR21 and router. The only exception would be if the HR20 and HR21 are in the same location where you could plug the HR20 Ethernet into the 2nd Ethernet port on the HR21 and have the HR21 act as a network switch.

The instructions state that the adapter "must be plugged directly into the wall and NOT into another power strip". They don't say anything about a UPS, but here's a couple of references for similar devices that make it appear that plugging into a UPS wouldn't work:

http://www.gigafast.com/tech/faq/homeplug/index.htm#10
https://www.bellhomeplug.ca/portal/en/PreSaleFaq.aspx#304

#9 ·
If you do go wireless, you might consider a Linksys/Cisco WGA600N .. In the future, this wireless adapter will be supported by DIRECTV.

As for other adapters, many folks have gotten many different types of adapters to work .. you just need to choose the connection method that best meets your needs.

#10 ·
drewba said:
The standard adapter that plugs into the wall is $24.99 including shipping. There is also a version that is integrated into a surge protector for $54.99.

The instructions state that the adapter "must be plugged directly into the wall and NOT into another power strip". They don't say anything about a UPS, but here's a couple of references for similar devices that make it appear that plugging into a UPS wouldn't work:

http://www.gigafast.com/tech/faq/homeplug/index.htm#10
https://www.bellhomeplug.ca/portal/en/PreSaleFaq.aspx#304
The products referenced in those links state they have built in surge protection. Am I correct in assuming the $24.99 wall unit does not since there is a separate $54.99 surge protector unit? Or is the D* $54.99 surge protector unit designed to provide surge protection to other devices and the $24.99 unit does have it's own surge protection?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is would my equipment be protected with just the $24.99 wall unit?

I already have UPS and/or surge protectors for both HR2* models and my router, so I really don't want to spend money on the $54.99 unit if I don't have to. Thanks.

#12 ·
Here's another vote for the Linksys solution - it works quite well for me. :)
I run 2 WGA600N adapters for my two HR20-700s, connected to a WRT600N dual-band router (think there is a WRT610N out now).
I have the WGA600N adapters / HR20-700s operate at 5MHz since there are no other wireless networks on that frequency. I reserve 2.4 GHz for a remote desktop and it gets to compete with all the neighbors.

I have plenty of 5GHz bandwidth for an HD VOD and DIRECTV2PC HD playback running simultaneously on both HR20-700 / PC pair (desktop and laptop), along with the usual internet surfing. Of course your mileage may vary.

Many people like the powerline adapters but I've steered clear of them. They work well when they're on the same circuit but can have problems on different circuits, and the better quality units that run higher-level security are relatively expensive. And of course, don't work too well with a laptop.

#13 ·
Indiana627 said:
The products referenced in those links state they have built in surge protection. Am I correct in assuming the $24.99 wall unit does not since there is a separate $54.99 surge protector unit? Or is the D* $54.99 surge protector unit designed to provide surge protection to other devices and the $24.99 unit does have it's own surge protection?

I guess what I'm trying to ask is would my equipment be protected with just the $24.99 wall unit?

I already have UPS and/or surge protectors for both HR2* models and my router, so I really don't want to spend money on the $54.99 unit if I don't have to. Thanks.
I suspect that the issue is filtering, not the surge protection itself. I haven't opened mine up, but also suspect that the powerstrip model connects the network directly to the house wiring but applies filtering and surge protection to the six outlets on the strip. There is probably some decoupling circuitry which provides a degree of protection to the network connect itself on both models.

The data sheet says:

• Protects all connected computer equipment including HomePlug ® data networks.
  • Incorporates Ethernet HomePlug® TURBO circuitry for high-speed data transport over existing 110 volt AC wiring. Maximum data rate of 85 Mbps.
  • LEDs for power line link and Ethernet link.
  • Six EMI filtered receptacles prevent unwanted electrical noise from being introduced into the circuit by peripheral devices. This electrical noise degrades signal transmission quality and speed.
  • Proprietary Hybrid AC Protection Circuit:
    120VAC, Single Phase, 50/60 Hz 15 Amp Power Line Protection.
  • Self restoring power line surge suppressor incorporating gas discharge tube and solid-state surge suppression elements.
    When plugged into an AC receptacle, the AC protection circuit monitors the integrity of the protection in addition to indicating the presence of a ground.
  • Protection and Ground Indicator Lamps
    Protection Available: Green lamp "on" indicates protection circuit is operational.
    Ground Present: Green lamp "on" indicates there is a connection to the AC ground.
    Ground Not Present: Red lamp "on" indicates that the unit did not detect the presence of an AC ground. The surge protection capability of the tii HNP6L-ET has been compromised.
  • Common grounding for the AC protector circuit serves as a ground potential equalizer eliminating any ground loop currents that may damage the connected equipment.

The data sheet for the wall unit doesn't mention any of this.

I have my HR20 and router on a UPS and the HR21 was on a surge protector prior to my purchase of the powerstrip homeplug units. I chose this model mainly because I was short on outlets at both the HR21 and router locations.

#14 ·
So it sounds like the $24.99 wall unit doesn't provide any kind of surge protection then. If I use just that, what kind of damage could potential happen to my HR2*s?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.