DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a converted garage that I've been trying to set up as a theater room. I've had three installers come by and they all told me that I would need to get a separate dish because they can't run overhead wires across buildings. The garage is eight feet away from the dish on the main house. I managed to get one to run one line across for $75 (gag), but now I need two because there's an HR20 in the room. Today I had a multiswitch installed and he refused to run a line across, apologized, and said he knew about my existing overhead line from the work order but he still couldn't add another. Anyway, how can I get them to add another overhead line?

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
Sounds like you cannot. If you don't want to do it yourself, you could hire a professional independent audio/video/home theater installer. Or you could let them install another dish on the garage, which might actually be the cheapest way to go.

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
Something about code and liabiity and permits and voiding your homeowners including your umbrella. Just run it yourself, Niles. Frankly, unless it's paved between, I would bury the RG6 in a slit trench, but that's just me.

A licensed electrician will run it according to code, but it will cost you more than $75. Just do it yourself -- no biggy.

·
Legend
191 Posts
bury 2 lines in 1/2in or 3/4in grey pvc, remove the overhead, they look tacky. you could get the cable, ends, tools, and pvc for under 75 bucks, you just need to provide the time todo it for yourself. might as well pull 2 cat5 runs in there while yer at it :)

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
2,533 Posts
kaz said:
bury 2 lines in 1/2in or 3/4in grey pvc, remove the overhead, they look tacky. you could get the cable, ends, tools, and pvc for under 75 bucks, you just need to provide the time todo it for yourself. might as well pull 2 cat5 runs in there while yer at it :)
Unless there's blacktop/concrete in your way... They sell cable hangers at any HomeDepot, Lowes, electric shop and or, they also sell cable which includes a "support wire" which you may see your installer carries for just such an installment. It's piggybacked with the coax and adds support to the droopy line. 500' or 1000' should be around $75 or less and the hangers are minimal. Don't use the twist on ends either, they are no good. Make sure you get SNS or similiar - weather proof, or just run the line and call your installer to finish it up for a $20.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Burying is a great idea. I'd have to dig under a grassy strip, but I've done that before. And stop with the so easy, buying, trimming, and fastening the cable is much harder than sitting on the couch waiting for the installer.

·
RBR Hitit tillit bricksit
266 Posts
Dude,

Go to Home Depo or Lowes and get some cable and connectors and run it yourself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.