DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a general question about the wiring required for the 5lnb dish. Is it true that RG6 cable is needed to recieve anything from this dish? The reason I ask is because we have a 3lnb dish now and when the installers put it up, they used the existing RG59 cable that was through out the house to wire it. I'm looking to install my own 5lnb dish so any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)
-Mike

·
blah blah blah
2,551 Posts
I have RG6 from the dish to my attic, but I used the existing rg59 in my walls from the attic. This is working fine, but I don't know how well it would work when the new sats go live, or how well it would work for longer runs (my longest run is 50 feet from the distribution point in the attic).

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The runs that I have are no longer than 50 feet. I also heard from someone that leaving RG59 hooked into this dish increased the risk of a fire because of voltage concerns. I don't really believe it but is anyone able to confirm for deny this?

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
I don't know about fire concerns.

The 5-LNB dish does draw more current than the earlier dishes, which is one reason that DirecTV not only specifies RG6, but further specified RG6 with solid copper center conductor, which will have substantially greater dc current carrying capability than regular RG6, which will do better than RG59.

My recommendation, if you decide to re-use RG59, would be to closely monitor it for a few days after putting in the AT9 or AU9. Especially check it where it goes into connectors (both ends). If it is at all warm to the touch, replace it with RG6.

Carl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.