DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house is wired with one RG-6 cable run to each room. And I can have an unlimited number of wires coming into a central location in the attic it is currently 3 input lines.

What I want:
I would like to have an HD DVR in the living room with the ability to watch a program while I record another off the sat signal.

I just want to watch HD sat signal in one other room now and possibly two or three other rooms in the future.

What do I need? Can it be done the way my house is wired? If not what do I need to do? Is one provider better suited to this than the other?

· AllStar
59 Posts
DirecTV has what is called a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) that will allow a dual tuner receiver to operate with just one line.

They have a new dish - the SWMline that only requires one RG-6 cable from the dish to a splitter at your distribution point. A cable is then run to each room/receiver. Another option, depending on your location, is a regular dish with up to 4 cables running to your distribution point where they install the SWM. Again, only one cable per room/receiver is required.

The SWM hardwared is usually only installed for new customers at this point - so if that is you, your all set :)

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,529 Posts
The specific answer to the question is that as long as you can get Line-of-Sight to the necessary satellites, you can make your setup work with either DISH Network or DIRECTV. The particulars of each service differ somewhat.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it doesn't matter which one I go with? They both will allow the me to watch Heroes while recording Prison Break at the same time with one coax going to the reciever?
Without having to purchase any additional equipment.

Is there anything specific I should know to make sure I am getting the proper equipment when they are are installing it, so that I get what I need to do this.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,529 Posts
cssamerican said:
So it doesn't matter which one I go with? They both will allow the me to watch Heroes while recording Prison Break at the same time with one coax going to the reciever?
This depends on whether or not your Fox and NBC stations are available through the provider in question.
Without having to purchase any additional equipment.
DIRECTV may want to install a second cable (and they'll do whatever it takes) or they may offer you a single wire solution. It is very difficult to predict unless you can make contact with the local installers. DISH has been doing the single wire thing for a couple years now.

· Godfather
347 Posts
directv's SWM installs requires at least 5 tuners. HD service and only if the SWM is available in your area. then you might get one

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.