DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
21,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Fourth of July week-end to everyone, and as always, heartfelt thanks to the 895 uniquely-registered voters who have taken the time to complete our Wish List survey!

Are you ever watching LIVE TV and get prompted with a message that the DVR needs to change the channel to record a scheduled show, but you're only given the option to cancel show "a" and not show "b"? That's the genesis of this new Wish List request:
  • When LiveTV is interrupted by 'OK to Change Channel/Cancel Recording?', ask the viewer which recording they'd like to cancel.

This week's second new request reads:
  • Any option to cancel a RECORDING in progress should offer the option to "delete the partial" that will be left behind.
The INFO balloon will say: There are at least two known actions where this option is not offered. (1) When you try to "tune away" from one of two recordings in progress or (2), when you select a currently airing GUIDE show to record (different from the one you are watching). If you (R) or (R)) the show, but then use (R) (or (R))) to cancel that recording in progress, you're only offered an option to delete the SL.

If you haven't yet let DirecTV know how you value the various Wish List requests, please do so here. It will only take a few minutes of your time, and I promise you, registration is quick and painless! :)

And if you have voted in the past, but haven't revisited the list for a while, any new requests added since your last visit will be highlighted in blue, waiting for your valuation.

WHAT'S HOT! Here are the currently "top scoring" requests:
  • Any option to cancel a RECORDING in progress should offer the option to "delete the partial" that will be left behind.
  • When LiveTV is interrupted by 'OK to Change Channel?' or 'Cancel Recording?', ask the viewer which recording they'd like to cancel.
  • Display only the channels that are in your current subscription package in SEARCH results.
  • When "First Run/Repeat" status is unknown, use a program's "Original Air Date" to calculate it.
  • Recording HISTORY should always display the correct reason a show was "Canceled", "Deleted", or "Not Recorded".
  • During FF or RW, LEFT/RIGHT arrows should SKIP-TO-TICKS, and UP/DOWN arrows should SKIP TO START/END.
  • OPTION to backup your HR20 settings and/or SERIES LINKS via network or USB drive.
  • Dual Live Buffers - Toggle between two live shows with 30+ minute buffers on each.
  • Allow editing of the "CHANNELS I GET" list, similar to the way the OFF-AIR channel list is editable.
  • OPTION to display more GRID GUIDE information. More channels and hours.
  • Ignore CHANNEL UP/DOWN while watching recordings, to prevent inadvertently exiting PLAYBACK or clearing the LIVE buffer.
  • Multi-Room Viewing via the Ethernet Port.
  • Show the highlighted program's description in the "To Do List" and "History", instead of a static message.
  • Ignore irrelevant words or punctuation ("Manual:", A, An, The, 'Til) when alphabetically sorting MY PLAYLIST.
  • Automatically pad a recording's start and/or stop time by one minute, when it won't cause a conflict.
  • OPTION for the PROGRESS BAR to clear immediately when hitting PLAY to exit from a CRUISE CONTROL function, or after the last ADVANCE.
  • An "UPDATE NOW" option to immediately populate the TO DO LIST with all matching programs in the GUIDE, after scheduling a SL, AUTORECORD, or re-ordering the PRIORITIZER.
  • When a scheduled recording's start or end time will slightly conflict with scheduled recordings in a different time slot, do not cancel any recordings. Record one as a "partial".
  • AUTORECORD matches should be grouped in PLAYLIST folders named for the recorded shows' titles, just as if they were recorded by SERIES LINKS.
  • SERIES LINK setup options: RECORD: [First Run/Repeat/Both/All with Duplicates]; RECORD THIS TIME SLOT ONLY?: [Y/N]; RECORD THIS WEEK-DAY ONLY?: [Y/N]; KEEP AT MOST: [1/2/3/4/5/10/ALL]; WHEN LIMIT REACHED: [Delete Oldest/Stop Recording]; AUTODELETE WHEN DISK FULL?: [Y/N]
  • Flag "partial" recordings on the PLAYLIST. The show's PROGRESS BAR should reflect the partial time as well.
  • Deliver time-sensitive HR2x notifications via "Messages" or email to a user-specified address.
  • Undelete, or the ability to allow user acccess to a "recycle bin" to restore a recording.
  • Up to FFX3, automatically switch to PLAY at the end of a commercial block.
  • "Negative padding" OPTION. The ability to schedule a recording to start late or end early by "N" minutes.
  • Display LONG CHANNEL NAMES in the CHANNELS I GET or CUSTOM channel set-up lists.

WHAT'S NOT! The lowest scoring items (lowest last):
  • Ability to manually tune to an available over-the-air channel not in the GUIDE.
  • Light amber LED for 1 recording and red LED for 2 recordings.
  • Ability to "power off" or "shutdown" via a menu option. about
  • "Digital Living Network Alliance" certification of features intended to interoperate with other DLNA-compliant products.
  • Ability to remotely control more than two HR20/21's in the same room via IR.

NOTE: Only a few of the current Wish List requests are contained in this post. You may view and vote on the entire list of 80 suggestions here. /steve

· Registered
21,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hdtvfan0001 said:
Steve....thanks for taking the time to "regroup" on the list.

As time has passed, we tend to forget just what we've all voted on.
My pleasure! :)

For those that haven't visited the list recently, please be sure to take a moment to let DirecTV know how you value the handful of new requests we've added over the past couple of months. They'll be high-lighted in blue and easy to spot quickly. TIA. /steve

· Hall Of Fame
1,070 Posts
I usually visit once a month, but this time it tells me my user ID and password are invalid. If I re-register, will I have to make selections over the whole list again ? :(

· Registered
21,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
psweig said:
I usually visit once a month, but this time it tells me my user ID and password are invalid. If I re-register, will I have to make selections over the whole list again ? :(
If you re-register, you will have to vote all over.

If you visit this link, your UID and a temporary password should be mailed to you. Hope this helps. /steve

· Registered
21,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GregLee said:
This is not a sentence.
You're right! I fixed it. Thanks for pointing it out. :) /steve

"If you (R) or (R)) the show, but then use (R) (or (R))) to cancel that recording in progress, you're only offered an option to delete the SL.
"

· Legend
235 Posts
Steve said:
Happy Fourth of July week-end to everyone, and as always, heartfelt thanks to the 895 uniquely-registered voters who have taken the time to complete our Wish List survey!

Are you ever watching LIVE TV and get prompted with a message that the DVR needs to change the channel to record a scheduled show, but you're only given the option to cancel show "a" and not show "b"? That's the genesis of this new Wish List request:
  • When LiveTV is interrupted by 'OK to Change Channel/Cancel Recording?', ask the viewer which recording they'd like to cancel.

I would be nice if you were given an option to record a repeat episode of the show you planned to record at a later time and date.​

· Registered
21,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bearcat250 said:
When LiveTV is interrupted by 'OK to Change Channel/Cancel Recording?', ask the viewer which recording they'd like to cancel.

I would be nice if you were given an option to record a repeat episode of the show you planned to record at a later time and date.
Actually, if that show was part of a Series Link, the next time that episode is on, the same SL should still pick it up, at least in theory. :) We believe the HR2x platform uses a "28-day" rule that prevents recording duplicate episodes during that time span. But it seems to me, if you cancel the recording, it should still be "eligible", even if it shows up again within the next 4 weeks.

Alternately, if you know another matching showing is in the GUIDE (or EPISODES list) at the time you cancel the original, you can always schedule a "one-shot" recording of it.

/steve

· Registered
21,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
turkeylord said:
lol, two of my favorite ones are the two bottom requests :(
Ya. These two have scored low for a while, but as the Wish List's current editor, I decided NOT to remove them as a matter of principle. If implemented, they appear to me to be completely transparent features to users that don't need them, but potentially very useful to those that can take advantage of them.

/steve

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
Thanks for putting together this great list.

Any idea if D* knows this list exists and any way of knowing if D* is working on anything from the list?

· Lifetime Achiever
10,820 Posts
n3ntj said:

Any idea if D* knows this list exists and any way of knowing if D* is working on anything from the list?
Yes DIRECTV knows about the "Wish List" and they have added items from it. I don't know if they are currently working on anything on it but I am sure there will probably be others items from it added at some point.

· Registered
21,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
n3ntj said:

You're welcome! I'm just the list's compiler and editor, though. The great suggestions on it are a result of the collective wisdom of our fellow DBSTalkers.

Yes... DirecTV is aware of the list, and to date, they've implemented over 40 of our suggestions. Check out the "completed items" section of the results page. /steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.