DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
AllStar
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching Wizard of Oz on TNTHD last night. Great picture, but not full screen?

This is the first time I've seen a HD program that was not 16x9. Maybe it wasn't HD?... sure looked like HD.

Can somebody explain? Is it just because of the way the film was originaly shot?

Ron

·
AllStar
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris Blount said:
The Wizard of Oz was recently restored and mastered in HD. It should have been full screen (not widescreen).
Thanks guys,

You are correct, it was not Widescreen. It did seem larger than SD... that is, the side bars seemed to be smaller? Maybe this is Full Screen?

Anyway, it looked great. This is one of those classics, that I couldnt wait to see every year as a kid. Watching it now in HD is quite the treat... you can really appreciate the costumes and scenery.

RH

·
Icon
823 Posts
Interestingly enough, widescreen in cinema was uncommon until the early 1950s. (I believe Panavision was the company that manufactured and sold the first widescreen cameras.) The studios wanted a look and feel to their films to make them different from TV. In fact, television's screen aspect ratio was copied from the movies'. That's why if you ever see Marx Bros., "Casablanca," and other 1930s-1940s films in theaters they are likely to be the squarish aspect ratio you're used to seeing on your TV.

·
AllStar
57 Posts
And back then many theaters equipped themselves with 6 channel analog audio....the forerunner of Dolby Digital.......

Ira Lacher said:
Interestingly enough, widescreen in cinema was uncommon until the early 1950s. (I believe Panavision was the company that manufactured and sold the first widescreen cameras.) The studios wanted a look and feel to their films to make them different from TV. In fact, television's screen aspect ratio was copied from the movies'. That's why if you ever see Marx Bros., "Casablanca," and other 1930s-1940s films in theaters they are likely to be the squarish aspect ratio you're used to seeing on your TV.

·
Godfather
306 Posts
ASOT said:
Thanks guys,

You are correct, it was not Widescreen. It did seem larger than SD... that is, the side bars seemed to be smaller? Maybe this is Full Screen?

Anyway, it looked great. This is one of those classics, that I couldnt wait to see every year as a kid. Watching it now in HD is quite the treat... you can really appreciate the costumes and scenery.

RH
It may have ben shot in 1:1.37 vice 1:1.33, just a guess as to why it's bigger. Also, It's a Wondeful Life will also not be widescreen on NBC this weekend.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.