DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody in CHicagoland have any problems with the OTA 7-1? This problem started since last night. When I tune to 7-1, I just get a black screen. I don't get the 771 error message. When I use the Active-Right Arrow button on the HR20, it says signal strength of 67%

I tried a RBR and also tried to do another Antenna Setup (at the advice of D*TV CSR).

Anyone have any insight?

· DBSTalk Club Member
48 Posts
No insight--I called some people from different areas of chicago for you and they all said the signal strength for channels 7-1, 7-2, 7-3 is jumping all over the place from 64 to 75 back to 64 etc....
Even though the signal is jumping everyone still has a picture. It sounds like it might be a problem on the WLS side. It was also mentioned that all the other major networks are at 100 signal strength except CBS (Channel 2-1). You could do a OTA signal check to see your strength. If the signal is low on all stations, maybe a adjustment is needed, or the rain might have caused a promlem in a connector. Good luck and Merry Christmas

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
Channel 7 has been off and then on and then off again over the past few days. On Jan 6 they go to an all HD format for local broadcast content and are changing over equipment. News and local programming will have HD studio cameras.

- Craig

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08
4,107 Posts
I spoke too sone.

I get signal strengths in the 70's for Chicago WLS 7-1, 7-2, and 7-3.

For the last few days, the HR20 could not show a picture. Stranger still, it would not show an error message either!

Anyone else having problems today with WLS HD channels?

- Craig

· Legend
228 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:
I spoke too sone.

For the last few days, the HR20 could not show a picture. Stranger still, it would not show an error message either!

- Craig
Yep - I have too. Since this was first reported I have received no OTA ABC HD channels. Other locals (except for WBBM-2, of course) seem fine. Is this just an HR-20 issue or are those with built-in tuners on their TV's seeing the same?

· Crivens!
768 Posts
Milominderbinder2 said:

I have a signal strength of 60 or just over, no picture, and no error message. Don't have a TV tuner to see if it's just the box.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
I'll check mine in about 45 minutes when I get home.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
I'll check mine in about 45 minutes when I get home.
Tuned it in, and I have the picture and image.
But it is an SD program right now (pillard).

I'll check it again with WOF in a little while.

· Legend
228 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Tuned it in, and I have the picture and image.
But it is an SD program right now (pillard).

I'll check it again with WOF in a little while.
Seriously? Nothing for me on ABC OTA, period. I'll try a RBR, but would be surprised that a problem manifested itself this way.

Back in a sec.

UPDATE - RBR had no effect. Still no ABC OTA (signal strength mid/upper 60's). Other OTA ok. Earl, any insight?
BTW - This is on two different HR-20s, with separate antenna.

· Cool Member
19 Posts
qlanus said:
Seriously? Nothing for me on ABC OTA, period. I'll try a RBR, but would be surprised that a problem manifested itself this way.

Back in a sec.

UPDATE - RBR had no effect. Still no ABC OTA (signal strength mid/upper 60's). Other OTA ok. Earl, any insight?
BTW - This is on two different HR-20s, with separate antenna.
I'm experiencing the same thing on my ABC affiliate station here in Madison Wisconsin (27-1) If I send the channel to record and pull it from the playlist delayed, I get a picture. We watched Pirates of the Car. last night in this way. However, I was getting intermittant blocking and audio dropouts. Signal strength is bouncing between 60-90 on both tuners. Won't settle down. Every other channel is good (100%) and they all come from the same tower about two miles fromm my home.

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Milominderbinder2 said:
I spoke too sone.

- Craig
Since I first reported this issue, I upgraded my OTA antenna with hopes of increasing signal strength. This didn't help. I repeated antenna set-up and still had black screen for 7-1. After trying the Antenna setup for the second time, WLS 7-1 showed up again! This was this afternoon at about 4:30 pm CST (12/26)

I don't think that the antenna made a difference. I went from signal strength in the mid 60's to now at 72-75.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.