DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have accepted a job 45 miles from my house. I am going to buy a second home in this community and only come home on the weekends. I have a 522 and 622 receiver. I want to take my 622 with me and buy an additonal Dish 1000 setup for the new house. Now can I do this and keep my bill the same price. I believe this will work in theory, but I wonder if anyone else have any experience with this kind of setup.

·
Banned
1,385 Posts
yes it will work
yes people do it
yes you'll get the spiel about the terms and conditions read to you (Probably by James Long)

but it will work

·
Hall Of Fame
7,473 Posts
For 45 miles ? - I'd drive it and save the rent. Cheaper, although it puts miles on your vehicle. I HAVE done it that way.

Now 100 - 200 miles - THEN I'd find an additional residence. Been there, done That as well...

·
Banned
1,385 Posts
scooper said:
For 45 miles ? - I'd drive it and save the rent. Cheaper, although it puts miles on your vehicle. I HAVE done it that way.
I didnt see that part :)

Heck, I do that right now. well, 40 miles to work one way :D

·
Charter Gold Club Member
22,056 Posts
These days, 45 miles is a typical commute.

Call your second home a "vacation" home.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,972 Posts
If you have DRV units at both locations at the same time, the Dish Nazis might call and deactivate your receivers!! :^(

Otherwise carry a unit with you and just plug it in wherever you are.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. The 45 mile trip is over a coast range and can be tricky in winter. Also buying the house as an investment.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
I equate this to... you can't just take a phone and plug it in at a 2nd home without signing up for a second separate phone service at that location. Same for cable TV (to be more relevant)... Time Warner (or Comcast or whatever) will not let you plug in for just an additional receiver fee at a second home without signing up for complete service for that home.

·
Godfather
256 Posts
It'll cause an audit.

·
4 Posts
Jim5506 said:
If you have DRV units at both locations at the same time, the Dish Nazis might call and deactivate your receivers!! :^(

Otherwise carry a unit with you and just plug it in wherever you are.
Hi..I'm new and still learning..so my question is why would they be more likely to turn the DVR's off?? It would appear that there are many many folks here that have 2 or more DVR's ??..Could anyone expand on that?

thanks....mux

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
muxmun said:
Hi..I'm new and still learning..so my question is why would they be more likely to turn the DVR's off?? It would appear that there are many many folks here that have 2 or more DVR's ??..Could anyone expand on that?

thanks....mux
DVR'S call home every night when in standby. Both of the units will call in on 2 diff phone #'s and after awhile it will show up. A possible way around it is to not plug in the phone line to the 622 at new house and on wkends plug it in so it calls in on wkends.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
whatchel1 said:
DVR'S call home every night when in standby. Both of the units will call in on 2 diff phone #'s and after awhile it will show up. A possible way around it is to not plug in the phone line to the 622 at new house and on wkends plug it in so it calls in on wkends.
DVRs don't call in every night... Mine has only called once so far (maybe twice as I just had it for the start of my 2nd month now)... but definately not nightly unless there are PPV charges perhaps.

But there is no way to know when they will call-in... so you're absolutely correct that it would be a big red flag if it decided to call in when plugged in at the other residence.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HDMe said:
DVRs don't call in every night... Mine has only called once so far (maybe twice as I just had it for the start of my 2nd month now)... but definately not nightly unless there are PPV charges perhaps.

But there is no way to know when they will call-in... so you're absolutely correct that it would be a big red flag if it decided to call in when plugged in at the other residence.
I will not have a phone line at the second residence. I will be using Clearwire for internet access. It will never be able to call home, what problems does that incur?

·
Mentor
47 Posts
OinkinOregon said:
I will not have a phone line at the second residence. I will be using Clearwire for internet access. It will never be able to call home, what problems does that incur?
You could tell them that you want to use a receiver in an RV. They will set the receiver not to 'phone home' nor complain about not being connected to a phone line. This costs $20 a year.

·
AllStar
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
rasthan said:
You could tell them that you want to use a receiver in an RV. They will set the receiver not to 'phone home' nor complain about not being connected to a phone line. This costs $20 a year.
Thanks! :)

·
Super Moderator
53,112 Posts
TonyM said:
yes it will work
yes people do it
yes you'll get the spiel about the terms and conditions read to you (Probably by James Long)

but it will work
The practice is generally defended by people who are breaking the rule as well. But the point has been made that it is against the rules.

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
OinkinOregon said:
It would still be wrong and against the rules. It is not illegal as far as I know... but it is wrong and in violation of the service contract.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.