DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like everyday I watch a channel and the words that I hear do not match the mouths they came out of. The sync is off a bit and it drives me crazy.

Does anyone else have that problem?

Is there a fix for it?

I have DTV, HD-DVR's, Samsung 52" Series 7 HDTV.

Thanks in advance....

· Legend
222 Posts
This has been an ongoing problem and comes up from time to time. In some cases it's actually a problem with the source signal provied to Directv. Other times it may actually be Directv's problem.

One thing to try is to pause and restart your DVR-Sometimes that helps if it's not one of the other problems.

· Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
diggerg56 said:
This has been an ongoing problem and comes up from time to time. In some cases it's actually a problem with the source signal provied to Directv. Other times it may actually be Directv's problem.

One thing to try is to pause and restart your DVR-Sometimes that helps if it's not one of the other problems.
Thanks, I'll give it a try...

· Legend
139 Posts
I never had any lip synch issues in all the time I had Charter HD, it simply didnt exist. So I would definitely not call it a source issue.

To answer the OP's question though, yes I see it every single day, on random channels, some more often than others. Changing the channel and then changing it back sometimes can help, but it never fixes it completely. Yes, its really annoying. Annoying is Directv's middle name.

· Registered
31,115 Posts
The words not matching a person's mouth happens from time to time based on the sync of the transmission signal from the source and how it is re-broadcast through the local netwrok affiliate station's equipment.

Now that you have an official explanation....

If you really want to see words not matching a speaker's mouth....watch all the political conventions coming up in the weeks ahead...they can even talk out of both sides of their mouths at the same time. :D

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Uh, yeah.

It can still be a "source" issue based on the way the signal is fed from the source to DIRECTV. There were some issues with the Discovery HD channels when they first started up... they were off sometimes by a second. However, by reporting specific lip sync issues in the issue thread for your receiver, the information gets to the right people and it does get resolved.

Just remember, the more detail the better :)

· Banned
4,253 Posts
Are you watching old Godzilla movies?
Sorry couldn't resist, but I have seen this on my R22 aswell.

· Godfather
415 Posts
This happens because sound(audio) travels much slower than light(video). this forces them to transmit the sound much sooner than the video, timing it so they meet up at your receiver at the same time. This is not a simple thing to do, so it will take some tweaking. Eventually they will get it right for most people, unless you live in a deep valley or way up high in the mountains, or if you have a really long cable run to the receiver. The really amazing part is the size of the speakers that they use to transmit audio to the satellite. Rumor has it they go up to 12 making them even louder than Spinal Tap.

· blah blah blah
2,548 Posts
Before you shoot yourself in the foot anymore, you may want to search this forum for some of the double digit page threads on this subject and google MPEG4 and audio sync.

donkeylips said:
I never had any lip synch issues in all the time I had Charter HD, it simply didnt exist. So I would definitely not call it a source issue.

To answer the OP's question though, yes I see it every single day, on random channels, some more often than others. Changing the channel and then changing it back sometimes can help, but it never fixes it completely. Yes, its really annoying. Annoying is Directv's middle name.

· Registered
14,539 Posts
donkeylips said:

I had it on Comcast & TW...so, I'd say it most certainly be a source issue.

· Registered
14,539 Posts
Stuart Sweet said:
Uh, yeah.

It can still be a "source" issue based on the way the signal is fed from the source to DIRECTV. There were some issues with the Discovery HD channels when they first started up... they were off sometimes by a second. However, by reporting specific lip sync issues in the issue thread for your receiver, the information gets to the right people and it does get resolved.

Just remember, the more detail the better :)
+1...they were able to fix ABCFamHD & Planet Green HD this week.

· Legend
125 Posts
sunking said:
This happens because sound(audio) travels much slower than light(video). this forces them to transmit the sound much sooner than the video, timing it so they meet up at your receiver at the same time.
Although light and sound travel at significantly different speeds, when sound is transmitted electronically it travels at the speed of light. The speed difference only comes into play from the sound source to the mic and the speaker to your ear. Those distances are negligible in most cases.

· blah blah blah
2,548 Posts
He was kidding. Had me going that he was thinking he was serious, too, until I read about the speakers pointed at the satellites :lol:

JoeF said:
Although light and sound travel at significantly different speeds, when sound is transmitted electronically it travels at the speed of light. The speed difference only comes into play from the sound source to the mic and the speaker to your ear. Those distances are negligible in most cases.

· Godfather
415 Posts
JeffBowser said:
He was kidding. Had me going that he was thinking he was serious, too, until I read about the speakers pointed at the satellites :lol:
It was a tough decision whether or not to put the smiley at the end. I knew someone would have to bite. Just a little light friday humor, hopefully.

· Hall Of Fame
1,056 Posts
Most of us have read about it, several things can cause it, most of them have been mentioned here.

Sound signal processing (like dolby digital) in a receiver or preamp can cause it.

HDMI 1.3 is supposed to be able to provide some correction.

· Godfather
318 Posts
CNN HD has been having lip-sync issues all day today...I've been anxiously watching to see if any news happens regarding Obama's VP pick. :D

· Legend
248 Posts
kw2957 said:
CNN HD has been having lip-sync issues all day today...I've been anxiously watching to see if any news happens regarding Obama's VP pick. :D
Watch out -- you may see an example of "Hoof in Mouth Disease":lol:

Stan

· Godfather
341 Posts
sunking said:
This happens because sound(audio) travels much slower than light(video). this forces them to transmit the sound much sooner than the video, timing it so they meet up at your receiver at the same time. This is not a simple thing to do, so it will take some tweaking. Eventually they will get it right for most people, unless you live in a deep valley or way up high in the mountains, or if you have a really long cable run to the receiver. The really amazing part is the size of the speakers that they use to transmit audio to the satellite. Rumor has it they go up to 12 making them even louder than Spinal Tap.
!rolling

· Mentor
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well thanks, I guess, from all you that replied. At least I now know that it is not something in my set-up that is wrong, since a lot of you guys suffer from the same issue. Has anyone called DTV and asked them why this is happening and wether or not it can be fixed? I would like to hear some answers you got from the tech support before I call and ask the same question.

Thanks....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.