DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· AllStar
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else notice (I am sure you have, but I don't see anything) that when watching HD channels, the words being said are almost always a little off from the picture...

Not a big deal when watchnig sports, but when watching a TV show, or even a pre game show, its very annoying when the words dont match up.

Any way to fix this?
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
375 Posts
jasonp5 said:
Anyone else notice (I am sure you have, but I don't see anything) that when watching HD channels, the words being said are almost always a little off from the picture...

Not a big deal when watchnig sports, but when watching a TV show, or even a pre game show, its very annoying when the words dont match up.

Any way to fix this?
I have found the few times I have had this issue that going up or down a channel then comming back fixes it.;)
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
338 Posts
Or pressing LIST than EXIT...
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,873 Posts
I almost never have the problem here.

HR20 and H20 with HDMI straight to two different Panasonics, an LCD and a 3LCD projection.
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I currently have an HR20 connected with Component cables into my Hitachi projection tv. I have Native Off and everything set to 1080i (as best as I know how to set it).

doesn't happen all of the time, but 2 or 3 weekends ago it was frequent enough on ESPN while watching college football that I actually turned to the SD ESPN station...
 

· Legend
Joined
·
122 Posts
Nick said:
As a long-time HDer, I've almost never had an 'out-of-sync' problem with HD,
either with E* previously, or with digital local cable for the past year.

To analyze your problem, it would be helpful if you gave more detail about
your gear, your setup, what provider and IRD you are using, and what A/V
connections you have.
Nick with all due respect he is posting in the HR20 forum. :)
 

· Legend
Joined
·
144 Posts
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but join the club.

I've had this problem since I got my HR20 months ago and no software update or otherwise has fixed it, and I don't think it will. For me it happens mainly on recorded shows, and no channel-changing or exiting has helped.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
375 Posts
Nick said:
As a long-time HDer, I've almost never had an 'out-of-sync' problem with HD,
either with E* previously, or with digital local cable for the past year.

To analyze your problem, it would be helpful if you gave more detail about
your gear, your setup, what provider and IRD you are using, and what A/V
connections you have.
This is the DirecTV/HR20 Q&A thread so the only thing in question is his audio connections.;)
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
16 Posts
The lip synch problem is very common. There have been several threads of people reporting their problems as well as all their individual connections. There is no common demoninator other than all have the HR20 and DTV HD programming.

Some have it with an HDMI connection, while others, like myself have it with component connections. And the audio connections don't seem to make much difference either. I have both a direct connection via optical cable as well as modulate to other tv's. The lip synch issue is present in both cases.

The problem is caused by either the HR20 itself or directly from the signal that DTV broadcasts. Unfortunately, this issue is not likely to be addressed. Either DTV doesn't think the problem is signicant enough or they'd rather work on adding new features to the HR20 instead of rectifying the old ones.
 

· New Member
Joined
·
8 Posts
I think it would be a pain to implement one of those lip sync correction devices (if your receiver doesn't have an audio delay feature already - some do, IIRC) as the amount of delay between the audio and video seems to vary between recordings/channels. You'd end up having to adjust it or turn it off altogether all the time.

Some of my recordings have the lips slightly out of sync while others are fine - even from the same source channel. I will say that it seems to only happen for me with the MPEG4 locals and not with other HD channels like Showtime HD.

I do think DirecTV has tried to address this before by improving trick play handling in past updates. Originally, it was very easy for me to get the lips out of sync when fast forwarding through commercials and then doing instant reply, etc to get back to the show. It seems like during one of the software updates, they added a resync feature - when I finish fast forwarding for a bit now, for example, the audio starts while the video stays "frozen" for a brief moment until the audio is "caught up" to the frame of video.

They still need to work on lip syncing though because it seems the recordings (or actual broadcast?) are still sometimes out of sync through the entire show and nothing helps when that happens.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
4,642 Posts
Meklos said:
ESPN is notorious for this. I can count on one hand how many times I've seen ESPN-HD be in-sync.
Plus it's not limited to the HR20. I see that many times on my HR10. Now, if that's a DTV problem or a ESPN problem, who knows.
 

· DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
251 Posts
The problem is that the audio is lagged for many people. These lip sync devices delay audio.

woofpup said:
I think it would be a pain to implement one of those lip sync correction devices (if your receiver doesn't have an audio delay feature already - some do, IIRC) as the amount of delay between the audio and video seems to vary between recordings/channels. You'd end up having to adjust it or turn it off altogether all the time.

Some of my recordings have the lips slightly out of sync while others are fine - even from the same source channel. I will say that it seems to only happen for me with the MPEG4 locals and not with other HD channels like Showtime HD.

I do think DirecTV has tried to address this before by improving trick play handling in past updates. Originally, it was very easy for me to get the lips out of sync when fast forwarding through commercials and then doing instant reply, etc to get back to the show. It seems like during one of the software updates, they added a resync feature - when I finish fast forwarding for a bit now, for example, the audio starts while the video stays "frozen" for a brief moment until the audio is "caught up" to the frame of video.

They still need to work on lip syncing though because it seems the recordings (or actual broadcast?) are still sometimes out of sync through the entire show and nothing helps when that happens.
 

· DBSTalk Club Member
Joined
·
485 Posts
uteotw said:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but join the club.

I've had this problem since I got my HR20 months ago and no software update or otherwise has fixed it, and I don't think it will. For me it happens mainly on recorded shows, and no channel-changing or exiting has helped.
I have found the same thing. It happens mainly on recorded shows for me too.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
31,115 Posts
Many things can cause this, including network broadcast equipment problems, transmission problems, relay problems, local station problems, and reception problems, not to mention the audio processor in the HR20. ESPN, in particular has had many such documented "episodes". Based on all this, I wouldn't be too quick to blame the HR20 in most cases. One of our local channels has had this come up almost weekly, because they're still learning how to tune their HD broadcast equipment properly, and the engineer at the station has admitted to that.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top