DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recorded the David Blaine thing last night for an early morning laugh.

And did I get it!

This was by far the dumbest TV show I've ever seen. Here he is doing his 'dive of death'. He walks off the platform and is slowly lowered to about 5' off the ground. From there he swings on his cable for a few seconds and a helicopter slowly takes him away.

It was horrible.

I'd love to see what you thought if you saw it.

:raspberry :raspberry :raspberry :raspberry :raspberry
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
325 Posts
I was confused when I saw it. When they started lifting him back up, I assumed that there was still more of the stunt left (since they never explained what was supposed to happen). I thought maybe they were using the (highly visible) cable to center him and then were going to drop him from a higher area. Then they just lifted him above where the cameras were pointed and that was the end.

Obviously, something went very wrong. I'm guessing that the lights were supposed to go out momentarily and during the blackout he would mysteriously "vanish". Maybe the delay from Bush's speech threw the timing off? Who knows? Anyway, I think it was funny how the announcer stuck to the script and pretended that something amazing had just happened.

When Criss Angel thought he could fool the audience by using prerecorded tape during a live special, I thought that was the worst live magic act I've ever seen. But, David Blaine's special definitely beat that for worst live magic act ever.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
5,670 Posts
Gee, even the planned ending was lame:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gxsfhFmW71JZPr4OA8yqHI_v2GQwD93DT3602
Blaine said his grand finale of diving from a platform 44 feet to the ground while attached to a harness didn't go according to plan. He was supposed to jump and, at 10 feet, be swept away by a bunch of helium-filled balloons.

Instead, he dangled awkwardly for a moment before disappearing in an ascent into the night sky.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
143 Posts
say-what said:
Gee, even the planned ending was lame:

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gxsfhFmW71JZPr4OA8yqHI_v2GQwD93DT3602
Blaine said his grand finale of diving from a platform 44 feet to the ground while attached to a harness didn't go according to plan. He was supposed to jump and, at 10 feet, be swept away by a bunch of helium-filled balloons.

Instead, he dangled awkwardly for a moment before disappearing in an ascent into the night sky.
It was a lame stunt and also lame was the reporting. Most reports just said Blaine was trying to hang upside down for 60 hours. Only 2 TV reports I saw mentioned that Blaine was taking a break every hour and standing upright. I gave up watching him when he started these "endurance" events. His Street Magic shows were a lot more interesting.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,035 Posts
wilbur_the_goose said:
I recorded the David Blaine thing last night for an early morning laugh.

And did I get it!

This was by far the dumbest TV show I've ever seen. Here he is doing his 'dive of death'. He walks off the platform and is slowly lowered to about 5' off the ground. From there he swings on his cable for a few seconds and a helicopter slowly takes him away.

It was horrible.

I'd love to see what you thought if you saw it.

:raspberry :raspberry :raspberry :raspberry :raspberry
I thought it was going to be dumb, so I didn't even waste the effort to watch or record it. Glad I wasn't disappointed..
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
7,184 Posts
I had intended to record it but for some reason my DVR lost everything on on it's To Do list (no joke) for the night. Everything for tonight is there so this was some freak occurrence or maybe..

it was my DVR telling me everything I wanted to record was a waste of time and didn't do it. From the sounds of it, David Blaine was definitely not worth it nor was what I watched of 'Mythbusters'. I can not recall the other show so obviously that ciuldn't have been any good either.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,655 Posts
Somebody please explain to me what "Jumping the Shark" is? I keep seeing it and have no clue what it is!
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
7,184 Posts
Pink Fairy said:
Somebody please explain to me what "Jumping the Shark" is? I keep seeing it and have no clue what it is!
From Jumptheshark.com:

It's a moment. A defining moment when you know that your favorite television program has reached its peak. That instant that you know from now on...it's all downhill. Some call it the climax. We call it "Jumping the Shark." From that moment on, the program will simply never be the same.

The aforementioned expression refers to the telltale sign of the demise of Happy Days, our favorite example, when Fonzie actually "jumped the shark." The rest is history.

Jumping the shark applies not only to TV, but also music, film, even everyday life. "Did you see her boyfriend? She definitely jumped the shark." You get the idea.

Visit http://Jumptheshark.com and see when (and if) your favorite show has 'jumped the shark'
 

· Charter Gold Club Member
Joined
·
22,099 Posts
Dive of Death..." I can only wish!

Anyone who tuned in or set a timer for that crap is an idiot. I didn't watch,
but if I did, I sure as hell wouldn't admit it, much less post about it. :shrug:

I'm just sayin...
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
325 Posts
Nick said:
Dive of Death..." I can only wish!

Anyone who tuned in or set a timer for that crap is an idiot. I didn't watch,
but if I did, I sure as hell wouldn't admit it, much less post about it. :shrug:

I'm just sayin...
Some people may have caught the end of it if they tried to tune to the local news since it ran long because of the president's speech. Others, like me, and seemingly wilbur_the_goose (guessing from the first post), watched it just to see the joke that is David Blaine. I'll admit that I watched to see him fail and I definitely wasn't disappointed. (It seems now that magicians/illusionists rely so much on camera tricks and editing that they can't even put together a decent live special.) I was actually amazed at how bad it was. Also, I only watched the end. I couldn't stomach the whole 2 hours.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top