DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been using comcast for the past year and lately have been unsatisfied with thier customer service...Im also upgrading my TV to a HD LCD set so Im looking to add OTA HD and HD from my provider also.

would the switch to dish be worth the time from comcast???

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If i go with dish , Im looing to sign up for the bronzeHD package which doesnt seem to have any price increase...Ive also heard that dish would give me better picture quality compared to comcast or DTV

·
Legend
115 Posts
jaxx123 said:
If i go with dish , Im looing to sign up for the bronzeHD package which doesnt seem to have any price increase...Ive also heard that dish would give me better picture quality compared to comcast or DTV
I can tell ya I used to be with Direct. I was overall pleased with their picture quality, etc. But while it's close, I personally believe my picture quality with Dish is better. And my experience is Dish's customer service beats the h*ll out of Directs!! And with cable....not even in the same ballpark!

·
Icon
685 Posts
I have the bronzeHD package and I agree that monthly fee is going to stay the same. As far as picture quality, this is way more important to me than a few bucks a month difference in the bill. I havent ever had comcast and most people here think dish looks better than directv, but honestly when I compare live tv I can't tell any difference. I mostly watch recorded HD and it seems that my new HR20 looks better and brighter than my HR10 or both of my VIP622's.

I have all 4 boxes connected exactly the same way (component video thru a 4x1 switcher) to a 53" Panasonic RP CRT. To me the bigger issue is that they all are compressing the HD signal (sometimes severely) and if we want a great picture we gotta use OTA (I can't get the signal) or watch HD DVD's (expensive).

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
jaxx123 said:
I been using comcast for the past year and lately have been unsatisfied with thier customer service...Im also upgrading my TV to a HD LCD set so Im looking to add OTA HD and HD from my provider also.

would the switch to dish be worth the time from comcast???
Since everyones cable system is different it's very hard to give you a good answer. If you're problem is customer service then you may not be that happy with either DBS company. If you look around here you'll see a bunch of folks that needed to either say they're going to cancel DirecTV and get customer retention to fix things or needing to e-mail [email protected] to get any type of response.

As for HD, the general feeling is that for quality the best is OTA, then cable, then E* then D*. E* does have more HD channels then anyone else due to the Voom channels, but many people have commented there's too much repeating of content and once you've see all the programs they're useless.

Since you already have cable why not just try getting the HD DVR from Comcast and see how you like it, since there's no up front purchase/lease charge or commitment. And if you can wait until summer 2007 it would give D* time to hopefully get their next satellite up which is supposed to allow them to provide a bunch more national HD channels, more then E*. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmm... I might just give comcast hd a try to see if I like it, specialy if they do not charge any additional installation or fees to add HD except for the extra $5-$10 a month

·
AllStar
96 Posts
While I dont yet have a hd receiver myself for my hd tv, I do prefer satellite over cable anyday. While I have seen cable from california to Alabama, Mississippi to Texas. The satellite has always been more reliable and clearer picture whether its from D* or E* and also cheaper. Currently in Texas E* is half of TWCs price for the same channels/features and doesnt go out daily like TWC. Customer service is better. You dont have to talk to customer retention to get service or email the ceo, but the option is there, try that with TWC! Cable is trying to be nice on the phone and promise everything will be alright but after you hang up nothing gets done. At least the satellite companies fix it while on the phone. I believe in paying less and getting more and that goes against every cable company I've met including comcrap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.