DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to D* after several years with E*.

We have two leased HR21s. Problem - now we don't get some of the OTA channels that we were accustomed to getting through the on-board ATSC tuner of the E* DVR.

Question: I know I could buy two AM21s but, if I could find someone who is willing, would D* allow me to trade someone living nearby their HR20s for my HR21s? I know there are lots of people who own HR20s that do not use the ATSC tuner so if I look around a bit I'm sure I could find someone to trade with in my city.

If the answer is "yes", what am I giving up, either now or in the future, by exchanging HR21s for HR20s?

· Lifetime Achiever
10,820 Posts
No. If a leased unit is deactivated from a account it has to be returned to DIRECTV. If it is not returned you will receive a charge for the full amount of the unit.

You could try calling DIRECTV and see if they will offer you a deal on the AM21's.

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not really knowing how their system works I was just thinking of swapping out the cards in the DVRs, not shutting them down.

I tried calling three different CSRs and they don't seem to care that we have "lost" some channels by switching to D*. It would be cheaper to buy the AM21s from SolidSignal.

I think in California I have a 30 day cancellation window so that might be the option I take.

· Icon
762 Posts
dublus said:
Not really knowing how their system works I was just thinking of swapping out the cards in the DVRs, not shutting them down.

I tried calling three different CSRs and they don't seem to care that we have "lost" some channels by switching to D*. It would be cheaper to buy the AM21s from SolidSignal.

I think in California I have a 30 day cancellation window so that might be the option I take.
Unfortunately I am fairly sure the reciever are tied to an account. There are threads that have passed though over the last year or so where people bought used recievers and went to activate them, they couldnt due to past due balances, leased not owned, etc. Before you cancel it might be worth your while to call and see what they can do for you, explain what you had compared to what you now have and see if they might reduce the price or possibly wven give them to you.

· Hall Of Fame
4,266 Posts
While it is technically feasible to swap receivers and even access cards with another account, I just don’t think D* will do it. You are going to have to live with AM21’s. What you might try doing is calling D* and asking if they will send them to you. There have been some people reporting that they get them for free if they ask nicely. If not, see if they will make you a deal – maybe you buy two for the price of one or something.

· ΔS > 0
1,963 Posts
The AM21 will be less expensive from DirecTV than from Solid Signal. SS's price is $10 higher (each, of course) plus there is a shipping charge of at least $10 (more for two them, I'll bet). DirecTV will charge sales tax, but will still give you a better price.

I hope you have luck getting them for free, but DirecTV is not known to offer free items easily to customers at the beginning of their 2-year commitments.

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm... that's weird. I must have heard wrong or the CSR was just tired of me because right after I spoke to the CSR I looked the AM21 up at Solid Signal and they were cheaper there than what I was quoted.

She also said that any change to my account would require a $50 payment because I had signed up through the DirecTV Friends and Family deal. Of course this was not mentioned anywhere when I signed up.

· Cool Member
24 Posts
Not really worth it...

But DirecTV *does* allow moves of leased receivers between accounts. I've done it with a HR20-700.

Long story short is I lived w/ a roomate in one city for some time, and he had a DirecTV account in his name. I also had a home in a different state, with my DirecTV account in that location. I purchased a HR20-700 (leased) for Chicago, and had it turned on my roomates account. When I moved full-time back to my home state, I brought the unit with me, explained the situation to DirecTV and they moved it across without any further question.

I think it's rather hit or miss though, I just got lucky. We also had two premier accounts with NFL sunday ticket, strong payment histories, etc. If they had not let me do it and charged me another $300 (the cost at the time) for the right to "lease" another HD DVR I would have simply canceled - and I was willing to do it, not just bluff. Luckily it never got to that point, and they handled the request perfectly from my standpoint!

-Phil

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So there probably is no firm policy in place one way or the other restricting "trading" DVRs. But the likelihood of finding a willing trading partner and also finding a willing accomplice (CSR) seems to be remote.

*sigh*

· Godfather
308 Posts
dublus said:
Thanks for the replies...

Yeah, what you both are saying is what I had assumed.

I will try once or twice more to ask nicely for the AM21s (again :rolleyes: )

My optimism is fading though.
I tried calling and couldn't get one, then I sent an e-mail to customer service through the website explaining my situation - they sent it for free! I would try that before giving up. I got a response within 24 hours.

· Cool Member
11 Posts
I called D yesterday and told them that I would like to have a AM21. First reply was that it would be $50. Then I asked "because I have been will you from the start of D could you give it to me for free." D "no." Asked to speek to someone on a higher teir. Put on hold. Came back in 10 min and said it was in the mail for free. Just be as nice as you can, and most do not know what you are talking about.

· Legend
160 Posts
Call Directv and play the PBS-HD card. Say you need PBS-HD or you will be forced to consider your cancellation options under California law. Say you are willing to explore options, and that you heard the AM-21 will let you get PBS-HD.

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions.

Seeing as how I have spoken with a few reps already I think I'll try the email approach. That's one I hadn't considered at all. If that fails I'll call again and try to go up the chain of command until, in the end, I'll play the cancellation card.

How's that for a plan :D .

· ΔS > 0
1,963 Posts
dublus said:
Thank you all for the suggestions.

Seeing as how I have spoken with a few reps already I think I'll try the email approach. That's one I hadn't considered at all. If that fails I'll call again and try to go up the chain of command until, in the end, I'll play the cancellation card.

How's that for a plan :D .
If you have more than a few months left on your commitment, the cost of AM21's won't come close to the early termination fees ($20/month). Be careful when you threaten to cancel. They might take you up on it.

· Registered
24,395 Posts
dublus said:
I'm on the other end of the contract so can still cancel without penalty.

I would really prefer not to play that kind of game but it seems that sometimes there is no choice.
Actually, there is a choice... you could pay the $50 like your supposed too.. It wasn't free to build the thing, so why should it have to be free to you? People who got the HR20's paid more up front than you did for your HR21's by $100, so trust me, even after the $50, you still paid less... How is it people keep missing that point?

I'm not saying you can't ask for it for free, but at what point do you decided that its unfair for them to not give it to you for free, so you feel the need to threaten them?

And people wonder why our rates go up every year...

:nono2:

· AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess you felt the need to scold somebody and it turned out to be me.

I can sympathize with not wanting your rates to go up. I could turn your argument against you and tell you to stop complaining and take your business elsewhere if you don't like the price. But I wouldn't do that because people speaking up is what helps keep things in check.

You don't know me or any background behind me signing up for D* or what representations were made BEFORE I signed up.

I don't feel bad in the least for "speaking up" in this regard either. It is up to them to give whatever answer they would like to give and it is equally up to me to decide what to do in response. That's what we call good ol' capitalism.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.