DBSTalk Forum banner

Would you pay $1 dollar more per month for the HR20 as described below?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 100.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay After catching criticism from a select few people for the TIVO poll, let's turn the tables:

Assume D* provides you a *BUG FREE* MPEG4 HD DirecTIVO for the same price you are paying right now. Would you pay another dollar per month for a *BUG FREE* HR20?

(Not the HR20 with the features you hope it will have, the HR20 you have now, minus the bugs.)

Link to previous poll:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=69993

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
:( off to read another thread...

·
Godfather
284 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
Okay After catching criticism from a select few people for the TIVO poll, let's turn the tables:

Assume D* provides you a *BUG FREE* MPEG4 HD DirecTIVO for the same price you are paying right now. Would you pay another dollar per month for a *BUG FREE* HR20?

(Not the HR20 with the features you hope it will have, the HR20 you have now, minus the bugs.)

Link to previous poll:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=69993
Nope, I wouldn't. It should just work. The DTivo works, hence why I'd be willing to pay more for it. I have no faith that the HR20 will ever get fixed, so would I pay LESS a month for what I have now? Yes, and I think we should until they fix the problems (if ever).

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
Earl - I knew this thread would disgust you. I feel like a slapped a college prof or something.

Thank god we are talking about DVRs and not Politics. :grin:
I had some professors that need a slap..

That is why professors and TA's are not always allowed in discussion sessions.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
I had some professors that need a slap..

That is why professors and TA's are not always allowed in discussion sessions.
Yeah - I had one prof that gave out a "C" if you did everything he asked, and answered all his essay questions perfectly. The idea being that any college student ought to be able to do that, and therefore they should get an average grade for doing so. He needed a slap.

Hey speaking of grades, THAT GIVES ME AN IDEA FOR A NEW POLL!!!!!!!

:D

·
AllStar
57 Posts
Um, my HR20 IS bugfree.

At least, I don't notice any bugs.

However, I would pay $10 for an HR20 with ethernet support (includes sharing with other HR20's on network, and computers), dual tuners, more lines in guide, external SATA capablities that EXPANDS the storage, not replaces, and a boat load of other features.

But, seeing as 90% of those wont come around, no, I won't pay $1 for the same Hr20 I already pay $0 for.

But I can't wait until some of these are implemented!

·
Icon
714 Posts
Ahh! I was trying to avoid this because this poll is still flawed, but I will not go into that debate since no one cares.

No. I will not pay a buck more as it is now. I see the two more or less equivalent. I will pay probably up to $5 extra if HMC is enabled through the ethernet port. I will pay probably up to $3 extra if I can program my machines through internet.

You seem to believe that I like HR20 better than HR10. That is not really my attitude. I love my HR10 but I am not that loyal that I won't try something else. I got the DVR to watch programs. DVR is useless if not for the programs I want to watch. They are things I like in Tivo that I don't get in HR20, e.g., CC in 1X FF. However, I placed higher value for HD contents and am willing to pay extra for that. I am paying for the HD package and probably will get SHO just to get one extra channel in HD. I took HR20 for the promise of the national HD to come in 2007. My HR10 is still activated.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dusty said:
I took HR20 for the promise of the national HD to come in 2007. My HR10 is still activated.
As did I, and as did many I suspect.

I know the polls are useless for D*'s marketing department (well I won't admit they are useless, but they don't say as much as they would like) but they do point out that the majority prefers TIVO over the HR20 even a few months after the launch and that many are open to paying for the option.

I think it's fair game to draw attention to this. There are many of us out here who want to continue being D* customers, but really miss the TIVO option - already. And I think there is a popular thread out there asking D* to come out here and interact with us. I've called for this as well, because (at least for me) to continue to have an open mind about this product, I want to know more about what D* plans for it - and when. I can't believe I am considering cable after 7 years with D*, but that's how much I like dual buffers, and the other missing features.

I also want to point out another thing these polls don't do: They don't say anything negative or positive about the HR20 - just that people prefer TIVO.

I think the HR20 has good potential - but I don't know that I will Choose it and D* if they don't do something about these missing features.

I think if enough people voice that - maybe THAT can be some use to D*. Because I'd think they want to know, and I'd prefer to stay with them.

·
Icon
714 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
I also want to point out another thing these polls don't do: They don't say anything negative or positive about the HR20 - just that people prefer TIVO.
I think you want to believe people prefer TIVO. To me, Tivo is a mean to an end and is never the purpose. I do like it, but it is not that important. If the comparison is based on the current definition of HD Tivo plus MPEG4 capability, I'll choose HR20. The HR10-250 is still a cripled Tivo. There is no HMC, no internet programming. It's not worth any extra dollar than HR20. I will react differently if it is a full version Tivo. I am skeptical they will in the long run, but I hope Tivo survives. An affordable and "working" two-way cable-card Tivo S3 with FIOS is my dream. But short of my dream, I can live with OTA enabled HR20 or MPEG4-capable HD Tivo just about equally.

I love Tivo and have recommended it to many friends. I love that fact that it's hackable, too. I had a lot lower expectation for HR20 before I got it. I am not even one of those guys that never had a problem with HR20. But I must admit HR20 surprised me. Even as is now, it's a lot better than I expected. I think some Tivo lovers may agree it's better than the DVRs from the cable guys.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dusty said:
I think you want to believe people prefer TIVO. To me, Tivo is a mean to an end and is never the purpose. I do like it, but it is not that important. If the comparison is based on the current definition of HD Tivo plus MPEG4 capability, I'll choose HR20. The HR10-250 is still a cripled Tivo. There is no HMC, no internet programming. It's not worth any extra dollar than HR20. I will react differently if it is a full version Tivo. I am skeptical they will in the long run, but I hope Tivo survives. An affordable and "working" two-way cable-card Tivo S3 with FIOS is my dream. But short of my dream, I can live with OTA enabled HR20 or MPEG4-capable HD Tivo just about equally.

I love Tivo and have recommended it to many friends. I love that fact that it's hackable, too. I had a lot lower expectation for HR20 before I got it. I am not even one of those guys that never had a problem with HR20. But I must admit HR20 surprised me. Even as is now, it's a lot better than I expected. I think some Tivo lovers may agree it's better than the DVRs from the cable guys.
I WANT TO BELIEVE!!! Come on - of course I believe it. I have a couple of polls proving it. :D

·
1 Posts
I have a HR 20-700 appointment to be installed next week should I hold off since there are bugs with the system mentioned in this forum?

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
D* should have the software guys work on the billing department.. maybe they would lose our bills too. :lol:

·
AllStar
65 Posts
Would I pay $1 more a month to have real TiVo software in my HR20 -- YOU BET!!!

·
Legend
194 Posts
Jomanscool2 said:
Um, my HR20 IS bugfree.

At least, I don't notice any bugs.

However, I would pay $10 for an HR20 with ethernet support (includes sharing with other HR20's on network, and computers), dual tuners, more lines in guide, external SATA capablities that EXPANDS the storage, not replaces, and a boat load of other features.

But, seeing as 90% of those wont come around, no, I won't pay $1 for the same Hr20 I already pay $0 for.

But I can't wait until some of these are implemented!

I noticed we are both getting the Bay Area HD channels. Can your HR20 get the closed captions for any HD channels? Neither of mine is able to get any CCs on HD channels since the last update and before the update, they were jarbled nonsense on MPEG 4 channels.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.