DBSTalk Forum banner

Would you pay $1 more p/month to have a MPEG4 compliant HD DirecTIVO?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 110 100.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how much you all LOVE polls. But in light of the article posted by Earl today, I thought it would be a fair question to ask:

Would you pay 1 dollar more per month to trade in your HR20 and have a fully functioning HD MPEG4 compliant DirecTIVO?

EDIT:
For this poll, assume that $1 (or whatever the fee ends up being) is PER BOX. But only for "Rental" boxes. I.E. If you have a SD Tivo - you don't have to start paying extra for it.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
Perhaps, but I remember back in the WE NEED MORE HD phase that people said
they would pay a certain amount for an HD Package. In the mean time, D* decide
upon $10.99 for 5 channels, now $9.99 for the same package, or Free depending
upon if you call and complain about something.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Do you really think it would just be $1?
What if it was $6 more (like UTV was over the TiVo option)
Or possible $10 more like is rumored for the Comcast "TiVo" option?

What if TiVo wanted revenue PER BOX, istead of PER SUBSCRIBER.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Earl Bonovich said:

I am sure everyone has their price. My point is, if someone is willing to pay ANYTHING then there must be something more appealing about that thing they are willing to pay extra for.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
I know how much you all LOVE polls. But in light of the article posted by Earl today, I thought it would be a fair question to ask:

Would you pay 1 dollar more per month to trade in your HR20 and have a fully functioning HD MPEG4 compliant DirecTIVO?
I'd pay quite a bit more than $1 for the option.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
1,135 Posts
btmoore said:
I will pay them 2 bucks if the DVR (what ever it is) can actually record correctly.
PER DVR?

I have 5 DVR's in my house. So I should have to pay a mirroring fee and a TIVO
DVR fee?

·
Banned
614 Posts
wmschultz said:
PER DVR?

DVR fee?
Yes the mirroring fee will likely stay for the second and additional units. The primary unit isn't charged.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
wmschultz said:
PER DVR?

DVR fee?
Well you already pay that fee, I though it was a one time fee for DVR services but I don't know. When I originally bought my Sat-t60 I paid for a lifetime sub ($299), this later got changed to a lifetime DVR services as long as I keep D*so I don't see any DVR fees just mirroring fees.

I really don't care what they do, or how it is funded, as long as the DVR actually works. They can cook it in to the price of the unit, into the service fee, I just want them to provide a product that I can trust is going to record what I tell it to.

BTW damn that is a lot of DVRs, that is a lot of content to manage. I went down a different path and and 1 hr20 and 1 sat-t60 serving 4 displays via a matrix switch.

·
Chancellor
9,094 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

I would pay $12.95 for the first box, $6.95 for each additional box for an MPEG-4 enabled DirecTV HD TiVo.

~Alan

·
Icon
545 Posts
I voted no!

I know it does not seem so now, but once the HR20 is fixed (if ever) it has potential to be a better DVR!

No, realy, I'm being serious now......

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
iceman2a said:
I voted no!

I know it does not seem so now, but once the HR20 is fixed (if ever) it has potential to be a better DVR!

No, realy, I'm being serious now......
I believe you :)

I would guess that many if not most folks would do the same. But there is a substantial number of people who, like me, would choose to pay more for an MPEG4 DirecTivo.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Alan Gordon said:
I would pay $12.95 for the first box, $6.95 for each additional box for an MPEG-4 enabled DirecTV HD TiVo.

~Alan
But are there enough of you... that are willing to do that.
To offset the cost of R&D on a new box, and the support of that box...

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Obviously we don't know. It also depends on how much of the costs/risks are actually borne by D* vs. Tivo (i.e., the cable companies didn't subsidize the S3).

·
Icon
714 Posts
I doubt this is a very revealing poll of the real consumer attitude. I am a marketing guy that design surveys at times. I felt as it is phrased, the poll is skewed to get a favorable answer for Tivo. It will be more useful if the poll is changed to how much extra you are willing to pay to get MPEG4 compatible HD Tivo. For those who want to vote no, give them a $0 choice.

·
Icon
530 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Who cares. it's just a poll and it will NEVER happen.

Is there any doubt in your mind that if 3 years ago D*/Tivo...(which to me is like chocolate & peanut butter....both are okay but together...HMMMM YUMM)

I digressed.

If 3 years ago D*TIVO had worked together to create the MPEG4 HD DVR Integrated unit with all the bells and whistles they have promised, do you think it would have turned out better or worse that the HR20?

It could have been a fantastic marriage...Tivo needs the business,and D*covets the HD/DVR high revenue customers....for whatever reason (which i fault more on D* cause Tivo NEEDS partners, so i doubt they pushed so hard the partnership ended- but thisisn't about blame), it didn't happen.

I like Tivo, i like Directv but I love my DIRECTIVO.

I feel like a kid with divorced parents praying they will get back together...but I know they won't....sob

·
Godfather
275 Posts
bwaldron said:
I'd pay quite a bit more than $1 for the option.
I agree.

Shouldn't this poll be directed towards those who have used both the Tivo and non-Tivo boxes?
Of course, people who have never used a Tivo receiver but who currently have a HR20 would have no reason to want to pay more for the Tivo brand.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts
Let's create another poll about something that will never happen.

Would you pay an extra buck a month for a DVR that would download programs directly to your brain while you were in bed sleeping ?

·
Banned
614 Posts
btmoore said:
Well you already pay that fee, I though it was a one time fee for DVR services but I don't know. When I originally bought my Sat-t60 I paid for a lifetime sub ($299), this later got changed to a lifetime DVR services as long as I keep D*so I don't see any DVR fees just mirroring fees.

I really don't care what they do, or how it is funded, as long as the DVR actually works. They can cook it in to the price of the unit, into the service fee, I just want them to provide a product that I can trust is going to record what I tell it to.

BTW damn that is a lot of DVRs, that is a lot of content to manage. I went down a different path and and 1 hr20 and 1 sat-t60 serving 4 displays via a matrix switch.
It doesn't matter if you own your receiver, or if you lease it. It doesn't matter what you bought it for. Mirroring fee's have always been applied to the second or additional receiver on any account.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,079 Posts
cybrsurfer said:
It doesn't matter if you own your receiver, or if you lease it. It doesn't matter what you bought it for. Mirroring fee's have always been applied to the second or additional receiver on any account.
I was refering to the DVR fee.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.