DBSTalk Forum banner

Would you pay $1 more p/month to have a MPEG4 compliant HD DirecTIVO?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 110 100.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know how much you all LOVE polls. But in light of the article posted by Earl today, I thought it would be a fair question to ask:

Would you pay 1 dollar more per month to trade in your HR20 and have a fully functioning HD MPEG4 compliant DirecTIVO?

EDIT:
For this poll, assume that $1 (or whatever the fee ends up being) is PER BOX. But only for "Rental" boxes. I.E. If you have a SD Tivo - you don't have to start paying extra for it.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
Do you really think it would just be $1?
What if it was $6 more (like UTV was over the TiVo option)
Or possible $10 more like is rumored for the Comcast "TiVo" option?

What if TiVo wanted revenue PER BOX, istead of PER SUBSCRIBER.
I am sure everyone has their price. My point is, if someone is willing to pay ANYTHING then there must be something more appealing about that thing they are willing to pay extra for.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Dusty said:
I doubt this is a very revealing poll of the real consumer attitude. I am a marketing guy that design surveys at times. I felt as it is phrased, the poll is skewed to get a favorable answer for Tivo. It will be more useful if the poll is changed to how much extra you are willing to pay to get MPEG4 compatible HD Tivo. For those who want to vote no, give them a $0 choice.
I disagree.

If this poll favors TIVO, it is only because people perceive it as a better alternative. Which is the point of the poll.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Dusty said:
Fine. You may disagree. I am curious though of your personal answer, nonethelss. How much extra will you pay?

Edit: I should clarify my position. I am not arguing for or against Tivo being a better alternative. I am just saying the test is only interesting if you assign a value to it. Then you can see how much people value the better alternative. There are many cases in the history where a better product didn't survive.
Actually assigned a dollar value is exactly what needs to be avoided. Because we don't know what the income level of the people on this board is.

5 Dollars a month to one person is not the same as 5 Dollars a month to the next. Although its none of your business, I happen to be on a pretty tight budget, so asking me to pay $10 extra a month would be a bit of a stretch, while asking someone who has more disposable income to pay $10 a month is no big deal.

This isn't market research for D*. If it were, I agree, knowing how much people would be willing to pay would be key. Especially if you were planning to get the maximum amount of money you can out of them.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
bidger said:
But, the idea of a price point of $1 more is not realisitic.

Take a look at TiVo's new pricing plans. They'll in effect give you the hardware, but you have to pay $12.95 to $19.95/mo., depending on the annual commitment you choose. You think TiVo's willing to commit to developing new software for D* for just a $1/mo. extra per sub? Get real.

Your poll is flawed. If you asked whether D* subs would be willing to pay the equivalent monthly fee as a standalone TiVo sub for the same features, then it would have merit.
Merit to who? How realistic the question is - is in fact irrelevant.

Bottom line: you have a choice between the HR20, or a DirecTIVO for 1 dollar more per month - Which do you choose? I think the answer to that question says volumes. If you don't then you are indeed entitled to your opinion.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Dusty said:
I don't know if you really want to see DirecTV to offer this option. If the answer to your answer speaks any volume, it probably is for DirecTV not to bother with it. If you don't think many will pay more than $1, it is a good reason for them not to. How much do you think DirecTV get to keep in that $1?
Like I said, this isn't market research. This is a poll. The object of this question is not to determine what D* should do. (And I have 100% faith that they would not base a decision like this on an internet poll on a bulletin board.)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Dusty said:
Thanks for indulging my curiosity. My guess is few will assign more than $10 value to Tivo regardless of their budget, so I doubt you are alone.
Dusty:

Okay I'm opening myself up here but..

How about indulging my curiosity?

Vote/comment on this poll... http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=70009

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
LI-SVT said:
How about this choice:

Pay $10,000 for a car that does not get you from point A to point B

OR

Pay $15,000 for a car that does get you from point A to point B

If D* can not gives us a DVR that works for $6/month than admit the mistake and tell us what a working one will.

Neither D* DVR works as advetised, so neither one is worth spending the money on. If they charged $7/month for an MPEG-4 TiVo that didn't work why would anyone use it?
I admit my poll question was a bit vague. But my intent was to make the assumption that the TIVO works at least as well as the Series2 DirecTIVOs.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
nFavor said:
To me the real question is why is this poll not banned for being off topic? This is the HR20 forum. HR20 issues/etc. It's not the MWCE forum, Tivo Form, Dish Network PVR form, Scientific Atlanta Forum DVR or anything else.

I can sort of see why the poster made the poll but I don't see how anything constructive can really come out of it. For better or worse, D* has chose to standardize their UI across (most) models. As far as D* goes, Tivo is a thing of the past and won't likely ever be part of their future again. Why bother with the poll?
Okay - This poll is in direct response to an article that Earl posted a few days back. Follow the link to Earl's post and then read the article. The author of the article suggested he thought people would be willing to pay for TIVO. Hence, the poll. And it is relevant to the HR20 because the poll is basically posing the question of whether or not someone would pay to forgo the HR20 in favor of a TIVO.

And by the way -
GO BLUE!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.