DBSTalk Forum banner

Would you pay $1 more p/month to have a MPEG4 compliant HD DirecTIVO?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 110 100.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,758 Posts
R&D shouldn't be cost prohibited because the S3 HD DMR is already MPEG4 compliant. TiVo or D* just needs to modify a S3 to be a combo unit the same as they did the S2.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
glennb said:
Let's create another poll about something that will never happen.

Would you pay an extra buck a month for a DVR that would download programs directly to your brain while you were in bed sleeping ?
Thanks for your input, Mr. Murdoch. Or is that Mr. Malone? :)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Dusty said:
I doubt this is a very revealing poll of the real consumer attitude. I am a marketing guy that design surveys at times. I felt as it is phrased, the poll is skewed to get a favorable answer for Tivo. It will be more useful if the poll is changed to how much extra you are willing to pay to get MPEG4 compatible HD Tivo. For those who want to vote no, give them a $0 choice.
I disagree.

If this poll favors TIVO, it is only because people perceive it as a better alternative. Which is the point of the poll.

·
Chancellor
9,094 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
But are there enough of you... that are willing to do that.
To offset the cost of R&D on a new box, and the support of that box...
I'm waiting until I can get a shipping-only deal on the HR20. I'd be willing to pay more for a leased MPEG TiVo... as well as a higher monthly fee.

With Dish Network losing their ability to offer distants, I may be able to switch some people over to DirecTV once DirecTV offers HD-LIL (no SD-LIL since we're in DMA #147, but hopefully we'll be able to receive HD-LIL). However, I could be a lot more persuasive if the people could get a TiVo.

What I'd really like however, is for DirecTV to simply allow TiVo to make a DirecTV enabled TiVo instead of a DirecTV DVR with TiVo.

~Alan

·
Godfather
318 Posts
My HR20 works fine, and I like the interface better than my HR10, which also works fine. I'm happy, so I wouldn't pay anything at all more. I'd be interested in a poll asking which unit you would prefer IF both units were glitch free and worked as advertised. Though I realize that this is not the scenario for most of the posters to this topic, hopefully one day soon it will be.

·
Legend
181 Posts
I would pay NOT to have Tivo:D Hate that company with a passion.
And I am not a D* employee.
I would LIKE a DVR that recorded and played back as reliably as the JVC VHS VCR that I had in 1979, but shouldn't all DVRs do that?

Now if Replay were to team up with D* to actually build and release the HMC with FTM and HD multi-room that would be awesome.

·
Icon
714 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
I disagree.

If this poll favors TIVO, it is only because people perceive it as a better alternative. Which is the point of the poll.
Fine. You may disagree. I am curious though of your personal answer, nonethelss. How much extra will you pay?

Edit: I should clarify my position. I am not arguing for or against Tivo being a better alternative. I am just saying the test is only interesting if you assign a value to it. Then you can see how much people value the better alternative. There are many cases in the history where a better product didn't survive.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Dusty said:
Fine. You may disagree. I am curious though of your personal answer, nonethelss. How much extra will you pay?

Edit: I should clarify my position. I am not arguing for or against Tivo being a better alternative. I am just saying the test is only interesting if you assign a value to it. Then you can see how much people value the better alternative. There are many cases in the history where a better product didn't survive.
Actually assigned a dollar value is exactly what needs to be avoided. Because we don't know what the income level of the people on this board is.

5 Dollars a month to one person is not the same as 5 Dollars a month to the next. Although its none of your business, I happen to be on a pretty tight budget, so asking me to pay $10 extra a month would be a bit of a stretch, while asking someone who has more disposable income to pay $10 a month is no big deal.

This isn't market research for D*. If it were, I agree, knowing how much people would be willing to pay would be key. Especially if you were planning to get the maximum amount of money you can out of them.

·
Icon
714 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
Actually assigned a dollar value is exactly what needs to be avoided. Because we don't know what the income level of the people on this board is.

5 Dollars a month to one person is not the same as 5 Dollars a month to the next. Although its none of your business, I happen to be on a pretty tight budget, so asking me to pay $10 extra a month would be a bit of a stretch, while asking someone who has more disposable income to pay $10 a month is no big deal.

This isn't market research for D*. If it were, I agree, knowing how much people would be willing to pay would be key. Especially if you were planning to get the maximum amount of money you can out of them.
Thanks for indulging my curiosity. My guess is few will assign more than $10 value to Tivo regardless of their budget, so I doubt you are alone.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,014 Posts
jaywdetroit said:
I am sure everyone has their price. My point is, if someone is willing to pay ANYTHING then there must be something more appealing about that thing they are willing to pay extra for.
But, the idea of a price point of $1 more is not realisitic.

Take a look at TiVo's new pricing plans. They'll in effect give you the hardware, but you have to pay $12.95 to $19.95/mo., depending on the annual commitment you choose. You think TiVo's willing to commit to developing new software for D* for just a $1/mo. extra per sub? Get real.

Your poll is flawed. If you asked whether D* subs would be willing to pay the equivalent monthly fee as a standalone TiVo sub for the same features, then it would have merit.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
bidger said:
But, the idea of a price point of $1 more is not realisitic.

Take a look at TiVo's new pricing plans. They'll in effect give you the hardware, but you have to pay $12.95 to $19.95/mo., depending on the annual commitment you choose. You think TiVo's willing to commit to developing new software for D* for just a $1/mo. extra per sub? Get real.

Your poll is flawed. If you asked whether D* subs would be willing to pay the equivalent monthly fee as a standalone TiVo sub for the same features, then it would have merit.
Merit to who? How realistic the question is - is in fact irrelevant.

Bottom line: you have a choice between the HR20, or a DirecTIVO for 1 dollar more per month - Which do you choose? I think the answer to that question says volumes. If you don't then you are indeed entitled to your opinion.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Do you really think it would just be $1?
What if it was $6 more (like UTV was over the TiVo option)
Or possible $10 more like is rumored for the Comcast "TiVo" option?

What if TiVo wanted revenue PER BOX, istead of PER SUBSCRIBER.
How much is it worth to not have your spouse continuously pi**ed off because her shows don't record.:D

Seriously, I think $10 per month/account would be reasonable and a lot of people would pay it

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.