DBSTalk Forum banner

Would you pay $1 more p/month to have a MPEG4 compliant HD DirecTIVO?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 110 100.0%
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Icon
714 Posts
I don't know if you really want to see DirecTV to offer this option. If the answer to your answer speaks any volume, it probably is for DirecTV not to bother with it. If you don't think many will pay more than $1, it is a good reason for them not to. How much do you think DirecTV get to keep in that $1?

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
If it came with dual buffers, to me it's a no brainer.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Dusty said:
I don't know if you really want to see DirecTV to offer this option. If the answer to your answer speaks any volume, it probably is for DirecTV not to bother with it. If you don't think many will pay more than $1, it is a good reason for them not to. How much do you think DirecTV get to keep in that $1?
Like I said, this isn't market research. This is a poll. The object of this question is not to determine what D* should do. (And I have 100% faith that they would not base a decision like this on an internet poll on a bulletin board.)

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
bidger said:
But, the idea of a price point of $1 more is not realisitic.
The concept of the $1 amount is that is what D* pays TiVo for each sub. So if D* no longer has to pay it to TiVo, then they keep it. But if we as subs are willing to pay the $1 to TiVo, then D* is not out the $1.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Dusty said:
Thanks for indulging my curiosity. My guess is few will assign more than $10 value to Tivo regardless of their budget, so I doubt you are alone.
Dusty:

Okay I'm opening myself up here but..

How about indulging my curiosity?

Vote/comment on this poll... http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=70009

·
Godfather
262 Posts
It might not be a $1, but it would not be $15....

The value of $1 or $2 from 4-5 million D* subscribers is huge for a company like TIVO....$5-$10 million per month in revenue would be more than welcome at TIVO.

·
AllStar
65 Posts
I can only say this because my HR20 is working great, but I wouldn't switch to Tivo even at no price difference. I am just too fond of the additional features and don't think I could stand to go back. As it turns out I am not missing the dual buffers as much as I expected.

I would however, pay an additional $1 for the HR20 to have a smooth return to play from fast forward like Tivo does.

I'm sure my opinion would be different had I been losing recordings, but I haven't experienced that.

·
Icon
668 Posts
How about this choice:

Pay $10,000 for a car that does not get you from point A to point B

OR

Pay $15,000 for a car that does get you from point A to point B

If D* can not gives us a DVR that works for $6/month than admit the mistake and tell us what a working one will.

Neither D* DVR works as advetised, so neither one is worth spending the money on. If they charged $7/month for an MPEG-4 TiVo that didn't work why would anyone use it?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
LI-SVT said:
How about this choice:

Pay $10,000 for a car that does not get you from point A to point B

OR

Pay $15,000 for a car that does get you from point A to point B

If D* can not gives us a DVR that works for $6/month than admit the mistake and tell us what a working one will.

Neither D* DVR works as advetised, so neither one is worth spending the money on. If they charged $7/month for an MPEG-4 TiVo that didn't work why would anyone use it?
I admit my poll question was a bit vague. But my intent was to make the assumption that the TIVO works at least as well as the Series2 DirecTIVOs.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Would you pay a buck a month for TIVO? nope, but would love a discount on this one.. from post here the tivo is sloooww, that would be enough to get me to send it back.. this one is slow enough...

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Obviously, we are each only speaking for ourselves.

I have never had a Tivo, but from all the descriptions I have read, I see no reason for me personally to prefer it.

The cutsey terminology in the Tivo menus tends to turn me against it, in fact.

·
AllStar
59 Posts
To me the real question is why is this poll not banned for being off topic? This is the HR20 forum. HR20 issues/etc. It's not the MWCE forum, Tivo Form, Dish Network PVR form, Scientific Atlanta Forum DVR or anything else.

I can sort of see why the poster made the poll but I don't see how anything constructive can really come out of it. For better or worse, D* has chose to standardize their UI across (most) models. As far as D* goes, Tivo is a thing of the past and won't likely ever be part of their future again. Why bother with the poll?

·
AllStar
74 Posts
btmoore said:
When I originally bought my Sat-t60 I paid for a lifetime sub ($299), this later got changed to a lifetime DVR services as long as I keep D*so I don't see any DVR fees just mirroring fees.
Are you saying that you have a mix of Tivo & non-Tivo DVRs and you don't pay a monthly DVR fee?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,765 Posts
I voted yes but there are lots of things that I love about the HR20 that I would want to be added to the Tivo based box so why not just deliver an HR20 that perfoms as well as the T* box. I think it is coming sooner then we think. The latest update gives me a lot of hope.

Add Dual Buffers and OTA and I think we will have a lot less need for the T*

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
nFavor said:
To me the real question is why is this poll not banned for being off topic? This is the HR20 forum. HR20 issues/etc. It's not the MWCE forum, Tivo Form, Dish Network PVR form, Scientific Atlanta Forum DVR or anything else.

I can sort of see why the poster made the poll but I don't see how anything constructive can really come out of it. For better or worse, D* has chose to standardize their UI across (most) models. As far as D* goes, Tivo is a thing of the past and won't likely ever be part of their future again. Why bother with the poll?
Okay - This poll is in direct response to an article that Earl posted a few days back. Follow the link to Earl's post and then read the article. The author of the article suggested he thought people would be willing to pay for TIVO. Hence, the poll. And it is relevant to the HR20 because the poll is basically posing the question of whether or not someone would pay to forgo the HR20 in favor of a TIVO.

And by the way -
GO BLUE!!!!

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
My answer is quite simple: HELL NO!

I never really liked Tivo, but it was the only integrated DVR that DirecTV offered so that's what I used. I do like the HR20, and I would have paid $1 more to use it instead of a Tivo.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
after last update: not a prayer.. they could give it (tivo) to me free and I'd turn them down... love the speed!

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.