DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all I am new so if this has been discussed before tell me.

I just got Dish and on the whole am pleased. The problem is I ordered ALL local stations and I find in order to get wycc ( pbs 20) I have to have another dish installed. I have an old brick victorian and one dish is bad enough two is insanity. Also Dish did NOT tell me this when I signed up for a years service. I called them and the lady in the VP office basically said yep that's right take the free dish and install or nothing. Hmmmm great start. Anyone got any comments on this? I am calling my buddy on the Chicago Trib as he is planning on contrasting Dish and Directv ( before merger and after).

· Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
AS search will show you lots of threads and commetns about all this. Even a new thread about an FCC commissioner's reaction to what DISH is doing now.

Ciao

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did and it wasn't on their site. They offered me the 2nd dish for free but that is NOT the point. My expectation would have been for them to be upfront about the missing local channel and offer me the second dish BEFORE I agreed to sign up for a year. I do not want to have a second dish on the side of my house, one is bad enough.

· Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
From the Dish Network Web Site (and it has been this way since January when the second dish became necessary for some locals in some markets) http://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customernetqual/nqStations.jsp (This link may not resolve since it's a result of form inquiry here http://customersupport.dishnetwork.com/customernetqual/nqCustomerLocalsCheck.jsp)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Station Local Channel Number Dish Channel Number
CHICAGO ABC-WLS (LOCALS) 7 8490
CHICAGO CBS-WBBM (LOCALS) 2 8491
CHICAGO FOX-WFLD (LOCALS) 32 8493
CHICAGO NBC-WMAQ (LOCALS) 5 8492
CHICAGO PBS-WTTW (LOCALS) 11 8496
CHICAGO UPN-WPWR (LOCALS) 50 8495
CHICAGO WB-WGN9 (LOCALS) 9 8494
CHICAGO IND-WJYS (RELIGIOUS/LOCALS)* 62 8503
CHICAGO PBS-WYCC (LOCALS)* 20 8501
CHICAGO TELEF-WXFT (SPANISH/LOCALS)* 60 8500
CHICAGO TMNDO-WSNS (SPANISH/LOCALS)* 44 8499
CHICAGO UNVSN-WGBO (SPANISH/LOCALS)* 66 8498

* You will need a second satellite dish to view these additional channels. DISH Network will provide the second dish and installation free of charge. For more information, or to schedule an installation, please call 1-800-333-DISH (3474).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also find it very interesting how people are quite willing to put these humongo OTA antennas on their roofs, but generally think that an 18" dish is funny lookin' and having two makes you the ESPN communications center. Never mind that the total surfase area of two dishes still doesn't even come close to the size of and average ourdoor antenna. And 18" dishes are very easy to hide. I have three on my house and you can only see one most of the time...and that is if you're looking for it.

See ya
Tony

· Hall Of Fame
1,734 Posts
majorkong - I assume you realize that even with the 2nd dish, you STILL won't be getting WCIU-26 or PAX-38. (D* does carry both of these stations) Since I pay for Chicago locals myself, not having WCIU-26 is not even acceptable; it's one of the main reason's why I "moved" to get the Chicago locals on D*.

7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't know that and I am currently chatting with some friends with contacts at 60 minutes about this. I think what I am most upset by is the fact that I asked what stations I would receive in the chicago area and WYCC was stated. At no time was I told I would need a second dish NOR is it stated on the advertising web page of D*'s site. I beleive you really have to dig deeply to find it. It is only AFTER you agree to 12 months of service and then tune to the channel that you are told you need a second dish. There are two reasons why I do not want two dishes on the side of my Victorian 1) It's just dumb to have to do it 2) It's unsightly. As the house is 60 ft high I didn't feel that the installer should have to risk life and limb to put the darn thing out of the way, I now regret that.

anyway thanks for the postings.

Major Kong.

· Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
DISH is carrying national PAx in lieu of locals. DirecTV the reverse.

G

·
Geesh! Be thankful you can get your locals. Many of us cannot. I do not think it is Dish's fault that you did not properly research the issue before making your purchase. Did you buy your equipment or are you leasing? I think the lease has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. If you want the channel, put up the second dish or an over the air antenna. I have two dishes and an antenna. I get my locals over the air because they are not offered. I use the second dish for HDTV. However, I've take special care in installing my dishes and they are hardly visible from the street.

· Hall Of Fame
1,849 Posts
My in-laws are facing the same dilema with needing a second dish to receive the local PBS stations. Not being web-savvy, they didn't know this until they had signed up for year. They went ahead and ordered the second dish, and it took three months before it could get installed. They are not happy having two dishes on top of their roof.

I know it has been discussed to death, but...I personally believe it is bs that people need to have two dishes to receive channels that Dish is required to carry. They are on the fringe of complying with must-carry imho.

On the other side of the coin, D* is requiring subs in certain cities to have a single oval dish in order to receive locals. In Chicago, though, you would only need one 18" dish to receive your local stations. Here are the stations that Directv offers in Chicago (I know this is an E* discussion, but just providing info):

Channel Network
2 CBS
5 NBC
7 ABC
9 WB
11 PBS
20 PBS
26 Ind
32 FOX
38 PAX
44 TMO
50 UPN
60 TFT
62 Ind
66 Uni

· Legend
181 Posts
Use a rabbit ear for the PBS station.

Atleast here in NJ, NJN is on Ch.23, Ch.50, Ch.52, and Ch.58. I get Ch.23 and Ch.52. In Central NJ, all four come in.

Except for maybe Cape May County(which is the second least populated county in NJ), using a rabbit ear or attic antenna can pull atleast one NJN. Ocean County viewers might need an attic antenna.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.