DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Legend
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the new Xbox 360 with Kinect for Christmas. I am trying to connect to the internet to setup Xbox Live. The Xbox connects to the router and then the internet but not to Xbox Live. It gives me an error that the MTU must be set to Auto or higher than 1346. Mine is set to Auto.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Icon
591 Posts
did you power cycle?

Turn off the modem
turn off the router
turn off the 360

Power them all back up (after about 30 seconds or until lights stop blinking on modem and router) in that same order?

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
Most of the time people get MTU errors are due to not having the right equipment. Connecting a switch to a modem things like that. It's possible there's a setting issue but until we know more it's just guessing. Given that this post is also 12 hours old I'm betting it's already resolved as a google search will help out as well.

·
Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery
3,148 Posts
I'm a network admin for a university. The students get MTU errors all the time on campus, and it's usually because part of the connection test requires a pingback to complete and we filter incoming ICMP at the outside firewall.

Just skip the test and try to log into Live normally.

·
Legend
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am using a Linksys E3000 router. I am connecting wireless.
I also have a motorola SBG900 Wireless cable modem.

I tried a power cycle and it didn't work.

·
Legend
419 Posts
I had the same error on my XBOX and eventually discovered it to be the result of a slowly failing docsis 2 cable modem. I upgraded to a new Docsis 3 Motorola and it fixed my problem and helped my overall Internet speed tremendously.

·
Legend
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now the Xbox connects to the wireless network and the internet, but doesn't connect to Xbox LIVE. Could this be the cable modem? My computer recognizes the Xbox as a device.

Do I need to be hooked up to "WideBand" internet to connect to Xbox Live?

Thank for all the information!

·
DaBears
6,085 Posts
ahrjmr said:
Now the Xbox connects to the wireless network and the internet, but doesn't connect to Xbox LIVE. Could this be the cable modem? My computer recognizes the Xbox as a device.

Do I need to be hooked up to "WideBand" internet to connect to Xbox Live?

Thank for all the information!
This sounds like you need a software update for Live turn off the xbox and then turn it back on. Let it sit for 15 minutes and see if it prompts for a EULA agreement. If not I would look into getting a router or a new cable modem.

·
Icon
591 Posts

·
Legend
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I finally can connect to Xbox Live!! I had to reset my modem and reinstall the software. The reason is that this modem had a firewall build in and I had to reconfigure it so Xbox Live could access it. I have had the modem for about 3 years and forgot about the firewall.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.