DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Been reading a lot on these forums (great advice), and while I've learned a lot I still have some questions and I am looking for advice on an overhaul of my DTV setup.

Currently I have an HR20-100, and it's dying fast. Locks up, skips, reboots every hour or so. It's bad.

I only have 1 HDTV in the house, in the living room with the HR20-100. I also have fast broadband (about 25 Mbps) with PowerLine connections so I can hook up a wired Ethernet link in any room, no problem. Household wireless is also present.

My question is whether I should go with an HR24 as my replacement, or the HR34? Here's what I want/need/plan:

-Be able to install more TVs in the future (we have 2 young kids - future bedroom TVs are possible, we need one now in our basement/studio shop downstairs, and perhaps 1 in our bedroom)
-Stream recorded content to all TVs from a single source, so shows stay in sync and I can pick up where I left off in a show no matter what room I'm in
-Restrict content on the kid's TVs (not a deal breaker, but nice)
-Be able to pause/rewind content from any room
-Set up and manage recordings from any room in the house
-Watch Pay per View content from any room
-Recording 2 shows at once is a must, recording 5 shows at once is nice but honestly not required
-50 Series Links is probably enough, but more is always better (especially if kids start setting up series preferences)
-The current HR20 is usually at 85% capacity. Not sure of the HD size there, but it feels like we need more storage. External storage as an add-on would be very nice.

Reading that and these forums, it seems like the HR34 can do all of that. What I'm not sure of is if the HR24 can do it as well, and is the HR34 "overkill"? Is there anything you lose by using the HR34 over the HR24, other than cost?

As I don't even have other HDTVs currently, the RVU ability of the HR34 seems like a great feature, assuming I do buy RVU compatible TVs as we expand. Thoughts on this? Is that a major benefit vs. the HR24? With internet available throughout the house, can I literally place a TV by any power outlet and be hooked up, or so I still need some kind of cable wiring? That would be HUGE if possible!

I've been with DTV for about 11 years, last service call was in 2008. I think my current dish is a legacy model (has 4 wires coming out), so I'm not sure if SWM issues are a concern with either DVR model, or if DTV will just adjust the dish/lines as needed.

In addition to the box, looking for advice as to how to arrange the purchase. Through DTV, using my long term customer status? I'm fine with a 2 year extension. Buy the device on my own and just have DTV install? Other?

Thanks!

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
If you want to manage recordings from any room, I think RVU would be a requirement at this point. With non DVRs in the other rooms, they can setup recordings but not manage, and can't pause/rewind live.

SWM is required for the 34.

All the DVRS can use external storage up to 2tb, including yours. Easiest to setup at the beginning as it replaces the internal drive.

·
Godfather
433 Posts
The only disadvantage of an HR34 over any other HR is what you pay DTV to ship it to you. Some have gotten shipping down to very low amounts. I say shipping because what you pay DTV does not buy you one ounce of ownership in the box. I decided to buy mine outright.

So if you don't care what the shipping costs are, get the HR34. Has more to begin with and could fit your expansion plans much better.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all. Sounds like the HR34 will be the way to go.

Regarding the RVU feature, does anyone know if all you need is a power outlet for the HDTV (assuming it has the RVU feature)? If you still need a wired coaxial connection, it's a lot less appealing. Again, I can use PowerLine portals for internet through the power outlet, so I can have power/internet at any outlet in the house. I just don't have coaxial outlets in every room.

·
Genius.
20,073 Posts
RVU standards were recently updated to include WiFi (802.11n). so if you have an RVU enabled TV with built in WiFi, you can connected that TV to an AC outlet and "in theory" you can get DirecTV. I said in theory, because you would need to register that RVU client first with DirecTV, this includes a monthly fee.

·
Godfather
433 Posts
the HR34 must have Coax for TV, can use either ethernet or Coax for RVU or MRV(whole-home DVR)

RVU clients will either use WiFi (802.11n) or Ethernet (maybe with a powerline adapter, but multiple users may be a problem with the powerline networking due to speed limitations).

DirecTV receivers must have coax for the TV, and can use this for MRV if using SWM

·
AllStar
75 Posts
Let me see if I can clear up RVU, because I'm having a hard time following this thread.

Right now there are no stand-alone RVU clients. You have to have a specific model of Samsung TV to even get RVU.

The current version of RVU does not work over WiFi. Your Samsung TV has to have a hard-wired ethernet connection. None of the Samsung TVs have built-in DECA.

You can use a Powerline adapter, but you will need a 200MB or better version (which equates to a 100MB bi-directional connection). I have successfully used a Netgear XAVB1004. But if it has any connectivity issues at all, you will get "RVU server not found" message. You can also use the DirecTV wired CCK.

After living with RVU for over three months, I wouldn't bother. Good concept, poor execution. You're better off with a HR34 as your main unit and H25 as your "clients" (or HR24 if you need trick play).

·
AllStar
176 Posts
Scabb said:
Hello all,

...Currently I have an HR20-100, and it's dying fast. Locks up, skips, reboots every hour or so. It's bad.

I only have 1 HDTV in the house, in the living room with the HR20-100. I also have fast broadband (about 25 Mbps) with PowerLine connections so I can hook up a wired Ethernet link in any room, no problem. Household wireless is also present.....
This was somewhat my setup when I called and got the HR-34 last week. I had them move the HR20-100 back to the bedroom's old Sony 27" SD and got the Whole Home upgrade for $99. That way I could still watch all of the HD shows that were recorded on it in the living room, plus have all the expanded capabilities of the HR34 as well. (Had to go through Retention in order to get that deal made though).

·
5 Posts
Jerry_K said:
The only disadvantage of an HR34 over any other HR is what you pay DTV to ship it to you. Some have gotten shipping down to very low amounts. I say shipping because what you pay DTV does not buy you one ounce of ownership in the box. I decided to buy mine outright.

So if you don't care what the shipping costs are, get the HR34. Has more to begin with and could fit your expansion plans much better.
Jerry,

Could you tell me where you purchased an HR34 without a lease. If you cant post this info could you PM me. Thanks Much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.