DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently upgraded to HD and added an HD DVR. I have had DNS for several years so when the installer came he did not hook up the small dish just the 5 LNB Slimline. Today my HD locals went live so I changed my package to include locals. However I cannot get the locals on my 2 Directivos.

I hooked one line from the small dish to the flexport 1 thinking this would give me locals on my tivo's. When I check signal strength on the Tivo it only shows satellite 101. Do I need to reaim the small dish? Do I need two lines running from the small dish to the switch?

Thanks for the help

· Godfather
291 Posts
Chances are they switched the locals in your market to MPEG4. DirecTivo's are only MPEG2 capable. That, or you have the wrong flexport.

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
toadleyb said:
I recently upgraded to HD and added an HD DVR. I have had DNS for several years so when the installer came he did not hook up the small dish just the 5 LNB Slimline. Today my HD locals went live so I changed my package to include locals. However I cannot get the locals on my 2 Directivos.

I hooked one line from the small dish to the flexport 1 thinking this would give me locals on my tivo's. When I check signal strength on the Tivo it only shows satellite 101. Do I need to reaim the small dish? Do I need two lines running from the small dish to the switch?

Thanks for the help
you need to run an autodetect to see 72.5 on the tivo.

· Godfather
291 Posts
Which dish style are you choosing when you set it up? The three LNB?

· Godfather
291 Posts
Try the other flexport.

· Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My dish is the 5 LNB and then I have the round dish that I had before my upgrade to HD. The small dish was simply unhooked when they installed the new dish but not moved. Does it need to be aimed in another direction to see 72.5? It is pointing in roughly the same direction as the 5 LNB.

· Legend
212 Posts
toadleyb said:

Thanks for the help
I have a somewhat similar situation as you. However, because I have had the NY/LA DNS for over 5 years I never had my SD locals even when they became available. In order for me to get my local SD's I needed a second dish. I now receive my local channels in HD over my slimline dish, but I do not receive the SD channels on my Directivo either. I have been told in order to receive my local channels in SD I need to re-aim my older round dish towards a different satellite. The reason I don't see my local SD channels is because my programming package is an older package called Total Choice w/no locals and I never had a second dish for them which was required in the area I live to receive them.

Even though I have HD locals if I wanted SD locals I would need to re-aim my dish and also lose my NY/LA SD feeds.

· Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Exact same situation here. I have never had locals. So I would need to re aim the dish and would lose the DNS? Or is the DNS now coming through the new dish? If I can get the locals working on my Tivo I am going to shut off the DNS anyway.

If I need to re aim where can I find info on where to aim it?

· Legend
212 Posts
Because you are the older package with no locals like me you will continue to receive your NY/LA stations. Your DNS should be coming through on your slimline so you should should be receiving these on both your Directivo and HD DVR. However, if you want your local SD you will need to call Directv and tell them you want your local SD channels. From what I have been told after you tell them this they will remove your NY/LA DNS feeds and add your SD locals. I'm not sure what angle/degrees the smaller dish needs to be at, but when you call Directv you can ask them if someone can come out and re-aim your dish if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

I believe there is a website that tells you what angles dishes for your area need to be on. I think you enter your zip code and/or address, but I don't know what it is off the top of my head.

· Cool Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually did change my package today to Plus Hd DVR with locals. I am getting the new locals on my HD DVR but can't get my tivo to see 72.5. I am doing some googling now to see if I can find settings for aiming the dish.

· Legend
133 Posts
toadleyb said:
I actually did change my package today to Plus Hd DVR with locals. I am getting the new locals on my HD DVR but can't get my tivo to see 72.5. I am doing some googling now to see if I can find settings for aiming the dish.
http://www.dishpointer.com/

That will show you the direction you need to point your dish at......if it makes you feel any better the 72.5 dish was a lot easier for me to point than the 5-LNB dish, as you're only trying to find one dish. Just remember that if your locals are going to HD and you are currently in a 72.5 market (as mine are getting ready to), they aren't going to be on 72.5 (more than likely), they are going to be on one of the satellites covered under the 5-lnb dish and you will need a newer receiver (one that is mpeg-4 capable) to receive them.

· Hall Of Fame
4,992 Posts
clb4g9 said:
http://www.dishpointer.com/

That will show you the direction you need to point your dish at......if it makes you feel any better the 72.5 dish was a lot easier for me to point than the 5-LNB dish, as you're only trying to find one dish. Just remember that if your locals are going to HD and you are currently in a 72.5 market (as mine are getting ready to), they aren't going to be on 72.5 (more than likely), they are going to be on one of the satellites covered under the 5-lnb dish and you will need a newer receiver (one that is mpeg-4 capable) to receive them.
That is what I was going to say. In the long run you will need newer recievers then the tivo's to get the locals especially the HD ones. Eventually you locals will more than likely be moved to a different sat that you are getting with the 5 lnb setup. Hope you get it figured outl. Let us know what happens.

· Hall Of Fame
1,815 Posts
So, is this right?:

1) existing 72.5 Ku SD MPEG-2 local market channels are beginning to be mirrored on 99/103 Ka in MPEG-4 (SD channels and possibly also HD versions added), with the eventual shutdown of 72.5 altogether not too far away?

2) Shutdown of 72.5 will require all custmers in those markets to have MPEG-4 capable equipment so they can get their locals of 99/103?

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
5 years is a realistic timeline. DirecTV will hold off until a significant portion of people have upgraded themselves (because they want HD), and once a certain threshold has been reached, they will start replacing the remaining receivers.

While it is still up in the air right now since the TiVo announcement, but the prior DirecTV owners were planning for an eventual "whole-house" DVR. That might be reality by the time MPEG2 is switched off, or there could be some newer technology.

· Icon
528 Posts
Lemme see if I understand things....

Until you got upgraded to HD, all you had was the 18" round dish pointed at 101 for your programming, including SD DNS. You got upgraded to HD, and the installer added a 6x8 switch to your setup. The installer didn't realign your old dish to pick up 72.5. You're getting HD locals cause they come off of the Ka sats. Your non-HD TiVo's can't get them. Am I correct when saying that the installer left your old dish pointed at 101? He should've realigned it for 72.5, then run the autodetect on the TiVo's and you should be good to go.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.